US citizen applying for Parents with minor kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US citizen applying for Parents with minor kids

Can US citizen apply for their parent and kid under the age of 21 of the parent of US citizen? How will the application process work? I understand there is no category to apply for sibling of US citizen but what happen when applying for parent?

Originally posted by beltwayer View Post
    Can US citizen apply for their parent and kid under the age of 21 of the parent of US citizen?
    The parent of a US citizen is in the Immediate Relative category, which cannot have derivative beneficiaries. So their children cannot immigrate as their derivative beneficiaries.

If your parents' children are unmarried, either of your parents can file a separate petition for their child after they enter the US. Unmarried under-21 children of US permanent residents are in the F2A category, with no wait for visa numbers. Unmarried 21-or-over children of US permanent residents are in the F2B category, with a 7+ year wait for visa numbers (longer for people born in Mexico or the Philippines).

How will the application process work?
    If they are outside the US, you would start by filing an I-130 for each of your parents.

I understand there is no category to apply for sibling of US citizen
    This is incorrect. There is a category (F4) for siblings of US citizens. ​However, the F4 category has a much longer wait for visa numbers than F2B for all countries of birth except Mexico. So if your siblings will remain unmarried and were born anywhere other than Mexico, it would be faster for your parent to petition your siblings after your parent immigrates, than for you to petition your siblings. If you guys don't mind the extra cost, both you and your parent can petition your sibling to be safe; multiple petitions do not conflict.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X