Traveling to UK with expired greencard and i-797

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling to UK with expired greencard and i-797

I'm planning a trip to the UK, as I haven't seen my family in 3 years due to covid. My 2 year greencard expired a long time ago and I've been sat in limbo whilst they keep sending me up to date i-797 forms to let me know I'm still being processed. Am I able to travel with my expired greencard and my most recent i-797? Thanks in advance.

yes

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Just figured I'd check, much appreciated!

Comment

It should be a 24-month extension letter, so it can be used in combination with your expired green card as a valid green card until 24 months after your green card expired.

Comment

Originally posted by ELL4EVERus View Post
          I'm planning a trip to the UK, as I haven't seen my family in 3 years due to covid. My 2 year greencard expired a long time ago and I've been sat in limbo whilst they keep sending me up to date i-797 forms to let me know I'm still being processed. Am I able to travel with my expired greencard and my most recent i-797? Thanks in advance.
          Hi ELL4EVERus

Greetings!!

Expired Green Cards can cause problems for LPRs trying to reenter the United States.

1. An expired Green Card can prevent a person from boarding an airplane to the United States. In accordance with federal law, airlines must check for proof of permanent residence before boarding.

2. To re-enter the United States, the Customs & Border Protection (CBP) officer requires proof of your lawful permanent resident status. An expired Green Card is not considered valid proof. At the discretion of the CBP officer, you could be refused entry or charged with an expensive re-entry fee.

How to obtain proof of permanent residence when your green card is expired

Form I-90 processing times takes over 8 months. For example, you may need proof of permanent resident status to travel abroad, renew your driver's license, apply for a new job, or apply for a mortgage. In these cases, you can get temporary proof. Follow these steps to quickly get proof of permanent residence so that you don't have to travel abroad with an expired green card.

1. Prepare and File Form I-90

2. Get Your I-90 Receipt

3. Schedule a USCIS Appointment

4. Attend USCIS Appointment for Sticker or Stamp
          • Appear at your local USCIS office for the scheduled appointment. Be sure to take the following items to the appointment:
          • Most recent green card (if lost, take a valid, unexpired passport)
          • InfoPass appointment notice (if possible)
          • Form I-797 Notice of Action (I-90 receipt letter)
          • Evidence of urgent need (e.g. airline tickets/receipt, doctor’s letter about sick relative or death certificate)

Hope it will helpful for you.
          Cheer's,
          Matt

Comment

Originally posted by mattsharon View Post

Hi ELL4EVERus

Greetings!!

Expired Green Cards can cause problems for LPRs trying to reenter the United States.

1. An expired Green Card can prevent a person from boarding an airplane to the United States. In accordance with federal law, airlines must check for proof of permanent residence before boarding.

2. To re-enter the United States, the Customs & Border Protection (CBP) officer requires proof of your lawful permanent resident status. An expired Green Card is not considered valid proof. At the discretion of the CBP officer, you could be refused entry or charged with an expensive re-entry fee.

How to obtain proof of permanent residence when your green card is expired

Form I-90 processing times takes over 8 months. For example, you may need proof of permanent resident status to travel abroad, renew your driver's license, apply for a new job, or apply for a mortgage. In these cases, you can get temporary proof. Follow these steps to quickly get proof of permanent residence so that you don't have to travel abroad with an expired green card.

1. Prepare and File Form I-90

2. Get Your I-90 Receipt

3. Schedule a USCIS Appointment

4. Attend USCIS Appointment for Sticker or Stamp
            • Appear at your local USCIS office for the scheduled appointment. Be sure to take the following items to the appointment:
            • Most recent green card (if lost, take a valid, unexpired passport)
            • InfoPass appointment notice (if possible)
            • Form I-797 Notice of Action (I-90 receipt letter)
            • Evidence of urgent need (e.g. airline tickets/receipt, doctor’s letter about sick relative or death certificate)

Hope it will helpful for you.
            Cheer's,
            Matt
            This is very outdated or misleading. The I-90 receipt is a 24-month extension letter. They do not need to get an I-551 stamp if they have the I-90 receipt and green card that is expired for less than 24 months.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post

This is very outdated or misleading. The I-90 receipt is a 24-month extension letter. They do not need to get an I-551 stamp if they have the I-90 receipt and green card that is expired for less than 24 months.
              I am trying to be misleading - I just want to share the information which might be helpful for him. I have gone through us embassy's official site. According to their last update 27 Sep, 2022 was this guideline.

Anyway - We are all here to help to each other by sharing our own experiences or thoughts. Everyone has personal opinion

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X