OCI Card with new passport for Minors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HI VM,

Thanks for sharing your experience. We recently renewed my Son's OCI card after getting his new PP. The whole process took three weeks (SFO-CGI). Even though its a stupid rule to renew all the time you receive new PP, it costs around 100 dollars for the entire process and involves unnecessary wait time.

thanks
    Kumar

Comment

Originally posted by priyankanewjersey View Post
      One of the requirements is notarizing US passport...how did you do it... AAA and banks are refusing to notarize federal documents such as passports
      US passports and Birth certificates are not allowed to notarize. I wonder how this CKGS being aware of rules, insist to do notary of this documents ....!!

Comment

Notarize = have (a document) legalized by a notary. Some notaries don't notarize legal documents but notarize a document that you sign in front of them that says what you say above the signature is true. That is correct. The workaround for notarizing legal documents like passport is, you write on the blank area of the document copy saying you have the original; and you sign it. The notary will notarize that. That is what the notary at the library did and explained the reason why they didn't want to notarize the same document at the bank. I hope this helps to understand the concept of notarizing a document.

Coming to the question of why you have to renew your OCI, I wondered the same with the passport. Why do you have to renew your passport? I guess you have an answer to this. That is the same reason to renew the OCI. It also makes it simple for the airlines to match the passport number with the passport number in the OCI and be done. OCI is just a visa. That is what airlines are doing. They enter your OCI information in the visa section. They have to enter an expiry date for the visa. Somehow they manage it by entering the passport expiry date for your visa too.

The real problem is with OCI marked as life-long with no expiry date. That doesn't make sense to me (others may disagree). If you have to renew something, then it expires. I wish the OCIs have an expiry date same as the passport they are linked to. This makes all confusions go away.

Comment

Hi Kumar609,

Can you please let me know if you had to send the Original OCI card while sending the application? Because on the OCI-REISSUE NEW PASSPORT- HOW TO APPLY mentions to wait for Stage 2 Call for Original document to then send the US Passport and OCI Card. But on the checklist they mentioned to send the Original OCI Card.Can you please help?

Comment

greencarddesi, follow the checklist. That is what CKGS is going to check when they receive your application.

There are variations of when to send the passport/oci card in the past years and by different consulates (based on what I read on this forum.) The passport and the oci are returned quickly (approx 10 days) so you can travel elsewhere.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X