Indian Passport Renunciation IN INDIA (MUMBAI) - My Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Passport Renunciation IN INDIA (MUMBAI) - My Experience

Background - I held my Indian Passport for over 3 years AFTER attaining Canadian citizenship. This stipulates that I have to pay a (CAD) $343 fine + $250 fee. Found it really hard to swallow the $343 fine, so I decided to renunciate my passport in India in hopes that the fine+fees would be less. (Don't judge! I'm a student trying to save up)

TLDR: I successfully attained my surrender certificate On The Spot, and paid $5000(INR) for it. Place a $value on your time as well before thinking of completing the renunciation process in INDIA. Going through the OCI process in Mumbai right now, will post about that later.

- I went through the process in Mumbai. There is ONLY 1 office in Mumbai that can render renunciation services - The passport office at BKC

- Upon emailing the passport office with a document checklist, I received prompt informative responses (I know, I couldn't believe it either). Also found the call centre agents to be pretty helpful.
    Here's the checklist: -For surrender of passport first fill online ARN Form.
    1. Indian passport
    2. Foreign passport
    3. Nationality certificate or Certificate of Naturalization/Citizenship Cert.
    4. Current Stay proof (Aadhar card or Ration card)
    6. Passport size photo x 1
    5. Fees 5000/- in cash.

- Address proof is a BIG DEAL in India, If you want to render ANY government service, you NEED address proof (I can't stress this enough). I submitted an NOC Rental Affidavit, which was accepted.

"THE SMACK IN THE FACE" - The office timings given to me were "any working day, except Wednesday, between 10:00 AM and 12.30 PM". Now anyone who has been through Mumbai rush hour knows how RIDICULOUS those timings are. Especially if you don't live anywhere close by. But the need was mine, so I got on the road for 7:15am just to dodge rush hour. I made it for 8:30am - I killed time until 10AM. At 10:10 am, I make my way up to the counter only to be told that surrender services can only be rendered at 2:30pm. And so I killed more time until 2:30pm.

The worst part is that if you don't show up between the 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM Window, They Won't Let You In. Even if surrender services only start at 2:30. Anyways, that was the hardest and saddest part - Killing Time.

The renunciation process took me about 30-40mins tops. I paid INR$5000. And received my surrender certificate On The Spot!

WARNING: -They WILL check to see if you've travelled on your passport AFTER acquiring foreign citizenship. They go through your passport quite thoroughly.
    - There usually is a INR $10,000 FINE for people who have held the passport for over 3 years. (Not all agents look for it- I got lucky). But go prepared with the cash just in
    case.

I'm going through the OCI process in India right now - Will post about that later. Hope all this Info Helps!!

Surrender certificate for already cancelled passport

Thanks Herc103

I got my US citizenship in march 2010 and got my indian passport cancelled in US in april 2010.. they cancelled my indian passport with a stamp that says " cancelled due to obtaining US citizenship" or something alike. I also got my OCI card. My family ( me n husband with cancelled indian passports and oci) and kids (US born citizens with US passports and OCI) relocated to mumbai, india in may 2010. We never went back since.
    Now I Heard About This Surrender Certificate
    We were not given this when our passports were cancelled in 2010. I checked on passport website in India.. filled the forms and i plan to go to BKC office to get surrender certificate.

Need your help in few things.
    1.Do they need appoinement or just walk in?
    2.Can You Help Me With Their Customer service phone number ? I can't find any.
    3. I understand that I need to pay only Rs 500 as my passport was cancelled before june2010 as i acquired US citizenship before june 2010..it mentioned that on their site. Do they check that?
    4. Anything else that I need to keep in mind ?

Thank You So Much..You Are The Only One I found who had any experience in surrender certificate experience from mumbai and that too recent..so your feedback will be really helpful..

Comment

Please reply

Comment

RE: Surrenderpassport

First off - Its surprising you and your family weren't issued surrender certificates upon cancellation. That was a lack of due diligence on their (Indian consulate) part. From what I recall of the application process, a person cannot surrender an already cancelled passport. You'll find that information on the passport seva website under the OCI category. HOWEVER, the one thing that will really work in your favour is the stamp saying, "cancelled due to obtaining US citizenship". Shoot them and email, or call one of the numbers provided below, and explain you situation.

I'm going to try and answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.. and memory:

1.Do they need appointment or just walk in?
        - You can walk-in for passport surrender services. If you filled your form online, you would've noticed that you weren't able to schedule an appointment. Thats because you don't need one for surrender services

- The numbers I reached them on were the following: 26520016, 26520017, 26520018 (Note - They're not the best with picking up calls, but are pretty responsive via email)
        - For general enquiries - you can contact the passport seva call centre - you'll find the number on their website (Their pretty responsive)
        - Email: [email protected]

3. I understand that I need to pay only Rs 500 as my passport was cancelled before june2010 as i acquired US citizenship before june 2010..it mentioned that on their site. Do they check that?
        - Yes, well.... they're supposed to check for that. If they don't, and try charging you $5000 INR instead of $500 INR. Make sure to bring it to their attention. Their primary concern seemed to be whether or not the applicant has travelled on his/her passport AFTER obtaining foreign citizenship.

4. Anything else that I need to keep in mind?
        - If you read my entire post, you would've noticed my rant about the timings ("any working day, except Wednesday, between 10:00 AM and 12.30 PM"). You HAVE TO get there before 12:30pm, or they won't let you in.
        -I went there with additional documents and proof of what the surrender rules state... just in case they are misinformed, or worse, uninformed.
        -Make sure you got everything covered on the list I provided below

Originally posted by Surrenderpassport View Post
        Thanks Herc103

I got my US citizenship in march 2010 and got my indian passport cancelled in US in april 2010.. they cancelled my indian passport with a stamp that says " cancelled due to obtaining US citizenship" or something alike. I also got my OCI card. My family ( me n husband with cancelled indian passports and oci) and kids (US born citizens with US passports and OCI) relocated to mumbai, india in may 2010. We never went back since.
        Now I Heard About This Surrender Certificate
        We were not given this when our passports were cancelled in 2010. I checked on passport website in India.. filled the forms and i plan to go to BKC office to get surrender certificate.

Need your help in few things.
        1.Do they need appoinement or just walk in?
        4. Anything else that I need to keep in mind ?

Thank You So Much..You Are The Only One I found who had any experience in surrender certificate experience from mumbai and that too recent..so your feedback will be really helpful..

Comment

I have few doubts.
          - what questions did the agent asked you?
          - did they checked any of your old passports including foreign national passport and Indian passport?
          - do they check your visa on the passport?
          ​​​​​​- just in case if the foreign national passport is renewed do they ask about visa?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X