Travel to India with PIO card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel to India with PIO card

Hi, My daughter is a US citizen and has a valid passport and PIO card. I just came to know that PIO card are not valid after Sept,2018. She is going to India this Sunday (2/11) and coming back in April,2018. Will she face any problem when she goes to India and coming back from India?

I will get her OCI card when she comes back in April.

She should be ok

Originally posted by akk_prasad View Post
    Hi, My daughter is a US citizen and has a valid passport and PIO card. I just came to know that PIO card are not valid after Sept,2018. She is going to India this Sunday (2/11) and coming back in April,2018. Will she face any problem when she goes to India and coming back from India?

I will get her OCI card when she comes back in April.

She should be ok. You can print this --> https://www.in.ckgs.us/resources/pdf/mha.pdf if you want any further proof of PIO validity.

Comment

Still no need for PIO to OCI conversion?

Originally posted by Liberty48 View Post
      She should be ok. You can print this --> https://www.in.ckgs.us/resources/pdf/mha.pdf if you want any further proof of PIO validity.
      So, if the notification is still valid (not overruled by another recent notification), effectively, no need for "typed" OCI card and wasting time and effort and money on "updating" OCI, even after October 2018?

Arguably, Indian visa is the worst to navigate through, a plethora of useless information, and ambiguity where it needs clarification. Won't you agree?

Comment

Oct 2018 is a different rule

Originally posted by pratikchhatbar View Post
        So, if the notification is still valid (not overruled by another recent notification), effectively, no need for "typed" OCI card and wasting time and effort and money on "updating" OCI, even after October 2018?

Arguably, Indian visa is the worst to navigate through, a plethora of useless information, and ambiguity where it needs clarification. Won't you agree?
        You can see the notice on CKGS website about the new machine readable passport from Oct/2018. To comply with that, you need the machine readable OCI after Oct/2018. Old OCI similar to PIO have to be renewed too. My suggestion was for the current travel, not after Oct/2018.

I totally agree with the confusions that come out of all these partial information. It is pathetic the govt not using the workforce they have locally that helps the rest of the world with technology.

Plan for the worst case always. You won't believe that I got a visa for my child even though she had a PIO 5 years ago. That was my panic moment when I didn't get clear information on what to do with a new passport and PIO linked to old passport. I had a friend and his family denied board because he didn't carry the old passport with the new PIO. Now I know more, I am sharing it in this forum.

Comment

Any recent 2018 PIO travel?

Originally posted by Liberty48 View Post
          You can see the notice on CKGS website about the new machine readable passport from Oct/2018. To comply with that, you need the machine readable OCI after Oct/2018. Old OCI similar to PIO have to be renewed too. My suggestion was for the current travel, not after Oct/2018.

I totally agree with the confusions that come out of all these partial information. It is pathetic the govt not using the workforce they have locally that helps the rest of the world with technology.

Plan for the worst case always. You won't believe that I got a visa for my child even though she had a PIO 5 years ago. That was my panic moment when I didn't get clear information on what to do with a new passport and PIO linked to old passport. I had a friend and his family denied board because he didn't carry the old passport with the new PIO. Now I know more, I am sharing it in this forum.

Sir, did your daughter experienced any trouble in entering India with PIO card in feb 2018? My family is in similar situation, not converted to OCI and hoping to travel to India with PIO card in next 2 days. Thanks

Comment

Should be ok.

Originally posted by vinodh_kumar View Post
            Sir, did your daughter experienced any trouble in entering India with PIO card in feb 2018? My family is in similar situation, not converted to OCI and hoping to travel to India with PIO card in next 2 days. Thanks
            I know I will have same panic attack in that situation. But it should be ok. You have only one day left. So, enjoy your trip and share your experience when you come back.

I am not sure why you are asking if my daughter experienced any trouble. Do you know my family past travel activities?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X