Baby born in US.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby born in US.

I am an Indian citizen and been here in the US since Jan/05 on an H1-B visa & my wife (again an Indian citizen) on an H-4 visa. Last week my wife gave birth to baby boy and naturally he is granted an american citizenship by birth.

I am planning to go back permanently to India after 3 months and hence the question that naturally comes is does my baby need any kind of visa for travelling back to India.

I have gone through the OCI and it needs 12 weeks for complete processing. Now I am in a fix, what would be most preferable way? I am still in the process of getting his birth certificate

Can you kindly let me know. Thanks in advance.

So you will get the OCI card in 3 months and you are leaving in 3 months. Take the OCI card and leave. Otherwise you would definitely need an Indian visa and report to the police station every 6 months. Just out of curiosity, how much did the whole delivery cost you including medications, well baby visits and insurance?

Comment

Amit1476 - I don't think you can apply for OCI for your son since both the parents (you and your wife) are Indian citizens. You can apply for the PIO card.

Comment

Well I am not sure for OCI, if they say 12 weeks, then indeed I would get all the papers in 12 weeks, definitately anticitpating more than that.

Would it make sense to go thru the PIO line, does anybody know how long does the process take

Comment

Originally posted by amit1476
          I am an Indian citizen and been here in the US since Jan/05 on an H1-B visa & my wife (again an Indian citizen) on an H-4 visa. Last week my wife gave birth to baby boy and naturally he is granted an american citizenship by birth.

I am planning to go back permanently to India after 3 months and hence the question that naturally comes is does my baby need any kind of visa for travelling back to India.

I have gone through the OCI and it needs 12 weeks for complete processing. Now I am in a fix, what would be most preferable way? I am still in the process of getting his birth certificate

Can you kindly let me know. Thanks in advance.
          Have you got the boy a US passport yet? If not, you can still register him as a full Indian citizen and get him an Indian passport. Then he will not need any visa to travel to India. But if you need the baby to travel again to the US, there can be some hassles. For details about that issue, you can check this other thread:

Hope this helps,

Tamtom

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X