Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son - US Citizen

Hi,

My son was born in US in Dec 05. I got his US passport and PIO card. Now we are back in India and staying here since Dec 06. I am also planning to get my son registered as a foreign person so that he would have no issues in staying more than 6 months here.

My question is, does anyone have any idea about the education and all for him? Like would i have to pay more fees at all stages just because he is a non-india citizen? Are there any issues in admissions to various colleges etc?

If anyone has their kids as non-india citizens or know something about it, please let me know.

Thanks,

Originally posted by ambi123
    Hi,

My son was born in US in Dec 05. I got his US passport and PIO card. Now we are back in India and staying here since Dec 06. I am also planning to get my son registered as a foreign person so that he would have no issues in staying more than 6 months here.

My question is, does anyone have any idea about the education and all for him? Like would i have to pay more fees at all stages just because he is a non-india citizen? Are there any issues in admissions to various colleges etc?

If anyone has their kids as non-india citizens or know something about it, please let me know.

Thanks,
    As far as I know, there is no difference in fees at the school level. [Anyway, the school fees in bit cities in India is already sky rocketing!] But, for higher education you may have to pay more fees. But, again some states have the domicile rule which allows them to consider on par with the citizen of India. Not sure, how it is going to be when our kids go to college. Also, some seats are reserved for foreign citiznes at the IITs and IIMs. So, there are options to work out. And, I think there is quite some time from now and there can be lot of changes and changes can either work out to be good or bad. Recently, GOI announced proposal for PIO university, but that is available only for PIO of middle east and gulf countries. In future, this may be extended to other citizens also.

There are American universities which are trying to open educational institutions in India (in association with Indian universities/college). I think this can also help in someway.

This is all speculation. I think it will be good to hear from somebody with a first hand experience, if their children are already going to college.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, just sharing my point of view.

Comment

You do not have register or report for children under 18

Comment

Originally posted by milli
        You do not have register or report for children under 18
        Is this information from your first hand experience? And, is this in Bangalore? Because, I have read in many places that people in Bangalore have registered their kids (not sure if it was because of Visa _OR_ PIO card). Also, I read somewhere that they will question you about registration at when you plan to go out of India next time. So, if it is your personal experience, it will be very good to hear from you in detail.

Comment

Originally posted by cool_r2i
          Is this information from your first hand experience? And, is this in Bangalore? Because, I have read in many places that people in Bangalore have registered their kids (not sure if it was because of Visa _OR_ PIO card). Also, I read somewhere that they will question you about registration at when you plan to go out of India next time. So, if it is your personal experience, it will be very good to hear from you in detail.
          Good that you brought this question. Let me make it clear, I do not have any personal experience. I just found this information at Indian Immigration site and posted the link sometime ago. Let me see if I can find it.

Here is the /india-visa/

It says
          The following categories of foreign nationals are exempt from registration :-
          (A) Those visiting India on any short term VISA i.e. valid for 180 days or less,
          (B) Children below 16 years of age (any type of VISA)

Let me know if my interpretation is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by milli
            Let me know if my interpretation is wrong.
            Your interpretation is correct and all over the internet (all the GoI websites) it is clear that you don't have to register children below 16 years. But, I read in another thread (sorry, could not find it...not sure if it is in this forum or another one) that people went to the FRO office in Bangalore and the police officer said something like...

"ummm...I don't think it is required, but just do it...you may be questioned while traveling next time"...something like that. And, many people have registered. So is the confusion! That is the only reason for talking about personal experience here.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X