US Citizen born in Pakistan: India Visa and PIO Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Citizen born in Pakistan: India Visa and PIO Question

I am a US Citizen born in Pakistan. I went today to the SF India visa center to get an India visa. Since I was born in Pakistan, I was told that I can only get a 6 month visa (not 12mo or 5yr). Further, it would take 72 hours to process, vs. one-day processing if I wasn't born in Pakistan.

The person there said that if my either of my parents are US citizens and were born (in Pakistan) prior to the split in 1947, then they could get a PIO card. Then I could apply for a 10yr visa as son of a PIO. Is that really true?

If my parents (both US citizens) can get a PIO card, then can I also get one as their son (even though I was born in Pakistan after the partition)?

As you can tell, I am a bit confused about the PIO card with respect to Pakistan. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks.

The published rules are indeed a little confusing. I'm not sure I understand it myself.

Assuming you are a former citizen of Pakistan, and you have never had an Indian passport, and you are not married to an Indian citizen or PIO card holder, I don't think you're eligible for a PIO card.

Assuming your parents are former citizens of Pakistan, and they have never had an Indian passport, I don't think they are eligible for a PIO card either. But if the visa center thinks they are eligible, you can ask them to clarify.

Here is the official definition of eligibility for PIO card given by the consulate:

A foreign Citizen (Not being a citizen of Pakistan, Bangladesh and other countries as may be specified by the Central Government from time to time) if,

(i) he/she at any time held an Indian Passport; or

(ii) he/she or either of his/her parents or grand parents or great grand parents was born in and permanently resident in India as defined in the government of India Act, 1935 and other territories that became part of India thereafter provided neither was at any time a citizen of any of he aforesaid countries [Pakistan, Bangladesh] above; or

(iii) he/she is a spouse of a citizen of India or a person of Indian origin covered under (I) or (ii) above.

Hope this helps,

Tamtom
    Last edited by tamtom; 01-11-2008, 12:17 PM.

Comment

"...thereafter provided neither was at any time a citizen of any of he aforesaid countries [Pakistan, Bangladesh] above"

I guess the statement above is probably the answer. After my parents were born in India, they became Pakistani after the separation and were Pakistani citizens, before becoming American citizens. So I guess PIO card is not possible for my parents or myself.

Thanks.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X