Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-Marriage Name Change on Wife Passport

Hi,

After marriage, I applied in Pune Passport Office for a surname change for my wife Passport.
    However, while applying I came to know that we have to add 'Husband complete name' in the wife's name for getting the post-marriage name change. So now as per passport officer, her name on the passport can be changed as follow :

First Name:'Her First Name <Space> Husband First Name'
    SurName: 'Husband Last Name'

I mentioned that in all other docs, we have got only SURNAME changed (not the first name added with husband name) but the local Passport officer is saying we have to add HUSBAND name in my wife's first name on passport.

Now my question is:

'Do I need to change her name in all the other docs as well as PAN Card, Office Docs, Banks etc?' OR the first name change is only applied for Passport and other docs can be left as it is? In this case, what name should I use when I apply for her VISA.

Hope this is clear or let me know.

That is the tough one to fight. Passport guys don't know what they are talking about.

As you know, the traditions for names are different parts of the country. In Gujarat and Maharashtra, full name of married woman consists of
    FIRST_Name, Husband_First_Name, Husband_Last_Name.

However, that is not required by law and that is not followed everywhere in India, leave alone everywhere in the world.

That is just the tradition in Gujarat and Maharashtra, again not the law.

Therefore, you have to just argue with them on that point.
    For example, following married women live in Maharashtra (not originally Marathi), and don't have their names according to the tradition.
    Jaya Bachchan (And not Jaya Amitabh Bachchan)
    Sreedevi Kapoor (And not Sreedevi Boney Kapoor)
    Raveena Thadani (And not Raveena Anil Thadani) (This is Raveena Tandon)

If your name clearly does not suggest that you are Marathi, you can argue that such naming is Marathi tradition and you are not Marathi (but may be Marwadi, for example) and therefore your wife's name does not have to have your first name as per Marathi tradition. If your name clearly suggests that you are Marathi, then argue on the point that it is not a law to have such name, but just a tradition and you don't want to follow it.

I hope this will give you enough pointers to solve this problem. (All these have worked for others in past, believe me.)

And please come back to this forum letting us know what happened.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

I am planning to meet Passport Officer this week with request for only SURNAME change.
      Will let you know how it goes?

However, if this is not possible then I have to get my wife's name change (to include my first name in her first name) everywhere including PAN Card, DL, Ration Card everywhere.

That will make my things more complex for me.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X