Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OCI Re-Issue for Minor - Parents' Passports needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI Re-Issue for Minor - Parents' Passports needed?

When applying for Re-Issue of OCI due to new passport for minor - do we need to re-send the copies of current passports of parents, and also former Indian passports of parents to prove Indian origin? Thanks.
    Last edited by manishsd1; 04-24-2019, 05:02 PM.

Not for US citizen parents. In my child's OCI renewal checklist # 5, it says "Legal Status of Parents in US (Non US citizens)".

It doesn't make much sense. I guess this is to make sure the child's OCI is renewed in the country where parents live (legally). If they are not US citizens and don't have legal status to stay in the US, they have to renew in the country where they live legally. You could renew the child's US passport in any foreign country where there is a US embassy. Why don't they just ask for every child's parents legal status? Makes life easy for every applicant. Or not ask for parent's legal status. If the child got a passport, that is legal and if the OCI is for the same country's passport, why ask parents legal status? Just asking.....

Comment

I just finished with the re-issue of OCI cards for my minor children, and I attended a visa camp a couple of weeks back. I didn't take the parents passport copies with the documents thinking that not necessary for US citizens, but I was wrong. The consulate officer specifically asked for parents passport copies ( both parents) and didn't make any exception for US citizens. Proof of Indian origin is not necessary.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X