Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we renew OCI in India after travel to India on e-visa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we renew OCI in India after travel to India on e-visa?

My daughter and son (minor kids) were US born and got their US passports issued in 2008 and 2010 respectively. They also had their OCI at SFO in 2010. We travelled to India in 2010 and stayed there till 2018. In the meantime, their passports had expired in 2013 and 2015 respectively. We forgot to renew it and we did not travel so somehow it did not occur to us. Then in 2018, we wanted to visit US as my husband got a short term project and we thought the kids can spend sometime in the US. We renewed their US passport in India (Mumbai) but did not get their OCI renewed as we were told that there is no need to renew OCI. We travelled to the US in 2018 on their new US passport and OCI linked to old passport and old US passport. We are in the US since 2018 and want to move back to Mumbai, India in Feb 2020 with the intention to stay there for few years. Since the OCI is not renewed and with the new policy of OCI, I do not have enough time to renew the OCI to link it to the new US passport before Feb 2020. I found out that we can apply for e-visa for my kids to travel to India. I would like to apply for 1 yr or 5 yr e-visa.

Here are my questions :

1. Can I apply for renewal of OCI in Mumbai FRRO after we reach there on e-visa? Do we have to wait till a certain time is passed or we can apply asap? (I read that they have to be resident for them to apply in India. Does it mean that they have to stay in India for 180 days before they apply for renewal of OCI?)
    2. Since the US passports had expired for a few years before they were renewed in 2018 while their stay in India, will there be any problem in renewing the OCI in India?

I understand that my situation is very much unique but any help will be appreciated.
    Thank you

Here is my opinion...... Yes, yes and yes. Google "FRRO". You will find a lot of information. To apply/renew OCI in India, you have to visit the regional FRRO. If there is a problem, ask them what to do and pay any fine/penalty. Just do it. You don't have any other way to escape from this situation.

Comment

Liberty48 Thanks a lot for responding to my post. It is a bit easier since GOI has relaxed the rules so I can travel with OCI , Old passport and new passport. Then renew the OCI once I reach mumbai. Regarding the gap in the passport renewal, I will have to take a chance and see if FRRO has any objection to it. I will update my experience here once its done.

Comment

As far as I know, you can apply for the OCI card while on e-visa in India. You can do this at the nearest FRRO office.

Comment

Evisa itself is not an issue these days as well. I applied for one here https://visa-to-india.com/ and it was approved in not time.
          Going to India for the third time this year and hope to have some nice time in Goa.
          Anyone knows that place? What part of the island i should better stay on?
          Last edited by amystivens; 05-14-2023, 02:11 AM.

Comment

On https://ociservices.gov.in/ , the below is mentioned on home page :

Foreign nationals cannot apply for OCI in India while on Tourist Visa, Missionary Visa and Mountaineering Visa. Moreover, the foreigner has to be ordinarily resident of India to be eligible to apply for OCI registration in India.
            Note: 'ordinarily resident' will mean a person staying in a particular country or in India for a continuous period of 6 months.

As e visa maximum stay is 6 month only in calendar year not sure it qualifies ordinary resident. Any one able to apply oci on e-visa?​

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X