Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New OCI for Adult - CKGS/SFO - Apostille Marraige Certificate Confusion

Hello,
    Me and wife were both born in India and were Indian Passport Holders. We got our Citizenship renounced last year and want to apply for OCI in CKGS/SFO.

We were married in India and have registered marriage certificate from our birth state. In the last 2 decades we have lived here in the US - we have never used an apostille copy of anything including for our US visa's or green card or US citizenship. Even for our minor kids who were born here got their OCI with just a regular copy of marriage certificate

However, when we tried to apply for OCI for ourselves recently, the latest OCI checklist from CKGS is confusing and is causing is head-ache.

The current checklist says: Apostilled Marriage Certificate is mandatory in case you are including spouse name in your OCI Card Applicable for all OCI Categories.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 7.39.34 AM.png
Views:	1507
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	744024

1. What does this mean? Did any requirements change? Do we need to now apostille our Indian marriage certificat for OCI? Also it says "in case you are including spouse in your OCI card" - But I have no way to chose or elect not to include her to avoid this requirement.

Also, I have no way of getting my marriage certificate apostilled sitting in USA - SFO Indian Consulate website says they do no apostilled/attest Indian government issued documents and it has be done in MEA in India.

With Covid and mail only processing, we don't want to send anything in mail with this confusion with the fear of CKGS nitpick and rejection and money swindling.

Has anyone who has recently applied for OCI in SFO share their experience? Did you need to apostille your Indian marraige certficate for new OCI even though you have your cancelled indian passports? If yes, how/where did you apostille your Indian Marriage Certificate while in USA?

Please help

There is absolutely no need to add spouse name in OCI card. Each person get their own OCI. None of this would be required.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Thank you for your response immihelp. In that case, are you saying do I just declare that I am unmarried in the OCI application? By virtue of saying I am married and including spouse details in both Government and CKGS form don't they include spouse name automatically?

Please clarify.

Comment

bsjsfo - How did you resolve ? I am in the same situation. They are asking for apostled marriage certificate when both of us were Indian Citizens and don't want spouse name on OCI card. What a scam...

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X