Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regularize a stay for minors who stayed in India with an expired US passport and OCI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regularize a stay for minors who stayed in India with an expired US passport and OCI?

We are US citizen parents with OCI (We held Indian passports earlier which are surrendered). Our 2 kids, both born in the US have US passports and OCI cards issued in 2008 (daughter) and 2010 (son).

We moved to India in 2010 & didnt renew their passports when they expired in 2013 and 2015 resp. We continued to stay in mumbai till 2018 when we had to visit US in 2018 for office work. That is when we renewed both kids US passports. OCI was not renewed at that time. We travelled to the US with old and new passports and old oci.

Now came back to mumbai in March 2020 using old & new passports & old oci to enter india.

I applied online to renew the kids oci as now its mandatory to renew oci. I went to mumbai FRRO to submit applications for both kids on appointment date. While checking the applications, FRRO guy noticed the gap between the passports ( both kids were in India with their expired passports for few years). He said we first have to regularize their stay before they can accept application for renewing the OCI for them. He said it can be done online.

I checked the FRRO website but not sure where to go & what to do as its all about registration and kids below 12 are not supposed to register. How do I go about regularization of their stay? Any guidance will be of tremendous help as this is very important before I can get their OCI renewed. Please help !

Thanks
    Ms Hopeful

I am in a similar situation too with my kid. Please suggest on how to proceed from your experience.
    Thanks.

Comment

Hi ..i am also facing the same issue. have you got any solution on regularization certificate ?

Comment

Hello

I am facing the same issues. OCI team has asked, "GAP IN PASSPORT NEED TO BE REGULARISE". Anyone, please guide me on how to go about it.

Much appreciated.

Comment

I am in same situation. I thought if I file lost OCI Card. That should take care of it. But may be not. Please share if anyone knows how to go about it.

Comment

All of this can be done on https://indianfrro.gov.in/eservices/home.jsp. You will have to first do the registration for child if they are over 12 years of age. Then file for "Change of Passport".

Thanks

Comment

Thank you, I did the registration this method worked and now working with the OCI to update.

Comment

I am in the same boat.
                I am trying to complete registration step as suggested however not sure what to put in the Visa Details section.
                If I use OCI details as Visa Details.... there is no Expiry date for OCI whereas in the form Visa Expiry is a required field.
                Appreciate someone who has gone through this to guide me.

Comment

Originally posted by mp77 View Post
                  I am in the same boat.
                  I am trying to complete registration step as suggested however not sure what to put in the Visa Details section.
                  If I use OCI details as Visa Details.... there is no Expiry date for OCI whereas in the form Visa Expiry is a required field.
                  Appreciate someone who has gone through this to guide me.
                  Can anyone please advise on this Expiry date for OCI ?

Comment

Do u need to regularise a stay if u stayed abroad ? I have been asked to regularise as theres a gap in passport, though my 8yr old has not been overstayed in India? We left India before her passport expired

Comment

Originally posted by AMoci View Post

Can anyone please advise on this Expiry date for OCI ?
                      OCIs don't have an expiry date. Airlines use the passport expiry date as the visa expiry date for OCI card holders. One of the agents at the check-in counter told me this. Try the same.

Comment

Hi all, were you'll able to regularize the stay for the minor entirely online. Will it be the same process for under 12 minor as well? Register online and change passport?

Comment

Hi to regularise the gap between two passports , which kind of visa type we have to apply. Is it exit permission visa?

Comment

My daughter minor below 12 years has valid PIO as of 8-Jan-2023 but her US passport expired 1 year back in 2021. We came back to India for good in 2013. We are applying for renewal of her US passport.. So, there is a gap of 1 year as of now in her 2 US passports.

Meanwhile, I just came to know about conversion of OCI in lieu of PIO must be done before 31-Dec-2023.

So, I got confirmation from FRRO that her gap between 2 US passports need to be regularized before staring PIO conversion to OCI. For how to do that, I got following in email from FRRO

"Apply for Registration Service on eFRRO portal to regularise the gap between two passports.
                            Kindly find the attachment for your query.
                            Service is applicable for minors also.
                            (Note: Kindly continue and submit your application further after the pop-up message on the portal of children under age 12 does not require registration service.)"

Hope this helps
                            ​​

Comment

I am in the same boat. The gap between my daughter's US Passports is 5 years. She is 19 years old now.

Regarding conversion of OCI in lieu of PIO, I REGISTERED at Indianfrro.gov.in and they are asking for below documents now (apart from some other documents), which I am not clear about :

1.REQUEST LETTER

2.GUARANTOR ID

3.AFFIDAVIT

4.REQUEST LETTER & UNDERTAKING LETTER

Can anyone who has done this before help me please ?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X