New OCI application questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New OCI application questions

I was going to apply for new OCI. I just received my India renunciation and had some questions

1) The application asks if any other family members have OCI cards?
    Is the definition of family limited to parents and spouse or do they include siblings? Any harm if I say no. I ask because they ask for application date of OCI which I wouldn't expect anyone to remember this date

2) I am applying based on my renounced Indian passport. I did indicate that I am married but NOT applying on basis of spouse
    Do I still need to upload marriage certificate?

3) Do I need to include notarized copy of any documents when I Fedex the physical application to VFS?

Thanks
    Last edited by help_imm; 03-06-2021, 09:23 PM.

1. It’s doesn’t hurt to not put it if you dont know all the info
    2. please include marriage certificate, it’s required
    3. yes notarized passport copies

Comment

1. Family is immediate family - spouse & children. If they have OCI, then you probably have access to the information reqd. If they have OCI and you say no, then it could be considered as a false statement and could cause you trouble if they notice it. Be honest & truthful in the application.

2. If you want your souse's name on the OCI (the print it on the last page along with parents' name), then you should upload the marriage certificate. If your passport has spouse's name, then do the same for OCI. Else you can skip it.

3. Only US passport copy needs to be notarized - which doesn't make any sense as you have to send the original passport.

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful info

1) If I put my spouse's name on the OCI, can my spouse travel on that OCI as well? My passport does NOT have my spouse's name but the Indian government website does ask for spouse details. I just didn't want lack of marriage certificate to delay the application

2) This is more of rant since this is a VFS requirement. Why in the world do they need us to send our original passport if they want a notarized copy? Should be either/ or. If they still want original passport, why do we have to run around to get a notarized copy on COVID times? The whole purpose of a notoarized copy is to not require the original. Makes zero sense

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by help_imm View Post

1) If I put my spouse's name on the OCI, can my spouse travel on that OCI as well? My passport does NOT have my spouse's name but the Indian government website does ask for spouse details. I just didn't want lack of marriage certificate to delay the application

2) This is more of rant since this is a VFS requirement. Why in the world do they need us to send our original passport if they want a notarized copy? Should be either/ or. If they still want original passport, why do we have to run around to get a notarized copy on COVID times? The whole purpose of a notoarized copy is to not require the original. Makes zero sense

Thanks
          1. No your spouse can't travel on the same oci. They must get one on their own.
          2. The US PP gets verified by VFS and then they return it. I believe the copy is forwarded to consulate.

Comment

Originally posted by help_imm View Post

Thanks
            1) No, your spouse will need to have their own OCI. This is so you can use it as proof that you are married if you need it for any other Indian process. Just like how they print address on the passport and accept it as proof of address. Yeah, only in India. The US passport has nothing - no address, no spouse name, no parents name.

2) The process is a LOT better than what it was. I had the misfortune of applying for PIO for my kid back in the early 2000s, oh man.... that was nightmare. So many documents, each one had to be notarized, like some 10-12 pages. They rejected the photo twice - for a months old baby, taken at a professional studio - saying that the baby was not looking at the camera, and that the hair was covering the ears and that ears should be visible. Then at the end of it all, they sent it to the wrong address - no prepaid labels at that time, they hand wrote the address. We had to get an emergency visa to travel with the baby, and the PIO came like a couple of weeks later after it was re-routed by USPS. Sorry for the rant...

Originally posted by Jot18 View Post
            2. The US PP gets verified by VFS and then they return it. I believe the copy is forwarded to consulate.
            Yes, that is correct. But if they are asking for the original for verification, there is no need to notarize. Whoever is verifying it can stamp "verified" on the copy. Just creating another useless step for the applicant. At least it is only one document now, the last time we applied they wanted passport, proof of address, marriage certificate, birth certificate (for child) - basically all supporting documents to be notarized.

Comment

Thanks for the great explanations - very helpful.

Only the Indian government could reject the photo of a month old baby for not looking at the camera!

- I am applying on the basis of my previous Indian passport and am married, I will enter my spouse's name on the application but won't include the marriage certificate

Originally posted by arkaa View Post

1) No, your spouse will need to have their own OCI. This is so you can use it as proof that you are married if you need it for any other Indian process. Just like how they print address on the passport and accept it as proof of address. Yeah, only in India. The US passport has nothing - no address, no spouse name, no parents name.

2) The process is a LOT better than what it was. I had the misfortune of applying for PIO for my kid back in the early 2000s, oh man.... that was nightmare. So many documents, each one had to be notarized, like some 10-12 pages. They rejected the photo twice - for a months old baby, taken at a professional studio - saying that the baby was not looking at the camera, and that the hair was covering the ears and that ears should be visible. Then at the end of it all, they sent it to the wrong address - no prepaid labels at that time, they hand wrote the address. We had to get an emergency visa to travel with the baby, and the PIO came like a couple of weeks later after it was re-routed by USPS. Sorry for the rant...

Yes, that is correct. But if they are asking for the original for verification, there is no need to notarize. Whoever is verifying it can stamp "verified" on the copy. Just creating another useless step for the applicant. At least it is only one document now, the last time we applied they wanted passport, proof of address, marriage certificate, birth certificate (for child) - basically all supporting documents to be notarized.

Comment

I am getting ready to submit the documents for New OCI applications, so from what i read you need to ONLY Notarize the Photocopy of US Passport and also send the US passport with rest of the documents initially. VFS will verify and return US Passport upon verification and continue with your OCI application, is that correct?

Also for notarizing the US Passport Photocopy, do you just sign yourself on the Photocopy in front of the notary mentioning its a true copy, is that how your notarize the Photocopy. Thanks in advance

Comment

So you write a statement saying that "I (your name) hereby affirm that this is a true copy of my u.s. passport". Thats the statement that will get notarised. You just need the photo page of your passport.
                  Yes VFS'll verify and return your passport.

Comment

Hi help_imm, Are you able to complete the process and receive the OCI card without submitting the Marriage certificate. I am in a similar situation, I am from India, married in India, I dont have marriage certificate yet, I am planning to submit my OCI application without marriage certiifcate in Atlanta center coming week. Your response is highly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by arkaa View Post

they ask documents because they will be needed that in case of emergency.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X