OCI re-issue new passport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI re-issue new passport?

Hello - My daughter got a new passport a couple of years ago (she is now 17), but we never got her OCI renewed to the new passport. Given COVID rules etc., is it required to get the OCI reissue before travel to India? I was on the GOI instructions page and it say all the rules to do so and then it says this:

2. Further, on account of ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, in order to avoid inconvenience to OCI cardholders who are required to get their OCI cards reissued, it has been decided by Government of India to extend the timeline for re-issuance of OCI card from December 31, 2021 till December 31, 2022.

3. The requirement of carrying old and new passports, along with the OCI card, has been done away with. Henceforth, an OCI cardholder traveling on the strength of existing OCI card bearing old passport number is not required to carry the old passport. However, carrying the new (current) passport is mandatory.

Does it mean that the re-issue is not required? And also that the old passport is not required to be carried to India? We are planning a trip to India this summer. thank you!

It is no longer a "re-issue" based on the new streamlined process. I just did the online passport details update for my son who just turned 17 earlier this month. You just need to fill out the Misc Services form for passport details update.

The re-issuance is now only needed ONCE. That is when your daughter gets a new passport after turning 20. I did that for my daughter who is now 21.

Comment

Originally posted by dvpatel View Post
      It is no longer a "re-issue" based on the new streamlined process. I just did the online passport details update for my son who just turned 17 earlier this month. You just need to fill out the Misc Services form for passport details update.

The re-issuance is now only needed ONCE. That is when your daughter gets a new passport after turning 20. I did that for my daughter who is now 21.
      This is excellent news. I think I found the link and will do the needful this evening. Thank you!

Comment

This is what it says in the miscellaneous services section of https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome
        • To avail Miscellaneous Service, you must be an existing OCI Card Holder
        • In case the existing OCI card holder wishes to update/upload the latest information about his latest passport, Change in address/Occupation/Contact details, the OCI card holder can select the option/(s) as given below and upload the latest photograph and requisite documents. These details shall be updated into the OCI system records and an acknowledgement shall be shared with OCI card holder on his/her registered email ID. The services under these categories are gratis in nature:
          1. In case issuance of new Passport Details (each time a new passport is issued up to 20 years of age and once after completing 50 years of age)
          2. In case change in address/occupation/contact details.
        • These Misc services can be availed for re-issuance of OCI Card as well as updating the information time to time as mentioned in the MHA notification dated 16th April, 2021. The re-issuance of new OCI card will be applicable for following categories:
          1. In case of issuance of new passport (once a new passport is issued after completing 20 years of age.)
          2. In case of change of personal particulars viz. name, father's name, nationality etc.
          3. In case of loss/damage of OCI registration certificate.

So, you need to just update the new passport details using the online misc services for every new passport until 20 and once after 50. If your child gets a new passport after 20, you need to get him/her a new OCI (aka re-issuance of OCI card). This is great news!

If my understanding is wrong, please correct me.

Comment

Originally posted by Liberty48 View Post
          This is what it says in the miscellaneous services section of https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome

So, you need to just update the new passport details using the online misc services for every new passport until 20 and once after 50. If your child gets a new passport after 20, you need to get him/her a new OCI (aka re-issuance of OCI card). This is great news!

The once after 50 requirement is gone. The page(s) likely are not updated yet.

Presently, the OCI card is required to be re-issued each time a new passport is issued up to 20 years of age and once after completing 50 years of age, in view of biological changes in the face of the applicant. With a view to facilitate the OCI cardholders, it has now been decided by the Government of India to dispense with this requirement. A person who has got registration as OCI cardholder prior to attaining the age of 20 years will have to get the OCI card re-issued only once when a new passport is issued after his/her completing 20 years of age, so as to capture his/ her facial features on attaining adulthood. If a person has obtained registration as OCI cardholder after attaining the age of 20 years, there will be no requirement of re-issue of OCI card.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation dvpatel

Comment

Originally posted by Liberty48 View Post

So my elder brother who is now 23 had his new Australian Passport issued in 2019 would need to get a new OCI card, right?
              And, my younger sister who is currently 19 (turning 20 in October) just needs to update the new details under OCI misc? But the only issue I had is that we are traveling to India in December, so we can travel under this clause right (with prev OCI and old aus passport?

"2. Further, on account of ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, in order to avoid inconvenience to OCI cardholders who are required to get their OCI cards reissued, it has been decided by Government of India to extend the timeline for re-issuance of OCI card from December 31, 2021 till December 31, 2022.

3. The requirement of carrying old and new passports, along with the OCI card, has been done away with. Henceforth, an OCI cardholder traveling on the strength of existing OCI card bearing old passport number is not required to carry the old passport. However, carrying the new (current) passport is mandatory."

Comment

Hi dvpatel,
                Looks like they need both the Orignal OCI and copies for OCI reissue after turning 20.
                Did you submit your daughters original OCI when you applied for her OCI re-issue.
                How man OCI copies did you send? And were they copy of first 2, last 2 OCI pages?

Comment

Originally posted by ziczaczom View Post

Hi dvpatel,
                  Looks like they need both the Orignal OCI and copies for OCI reissue after turning 20.
                  Did you submit your daughters original OCI when you applied for her OCI re-issue.
                  How man OCI copies did you send? And were they copy of first 2, last 2 OCI pages?
                  Yes. I did submit the Original OCI. We never had any other reIssues are back in the day you did not need one if you carried both the expired passport with the original OCI.

They sent back the original OCI and the newly re-Issued OCI together.

The pages they need are listed in the upload instructions. It was the first 2 and the last 2 pages. Uploaded them and then sent one self attested copy if I am not mistaken.

Comment

Yes. I did submit the Original OCI. We never had any other reIssues are back in the day you did not need one if you carried both the expired passport with the original OCI.

They sent back the original OCI and the newly re-Issued OCI together.

The pages they need are listed in the upload instructions. It was the first 2 and the last 2 pages. Uploaded them and then sent one self attested copy if I am not mistaken.
                    Thank you

Comment

Hi There,

I want to know who can fill "AFFIDAVIT IN LIEU OF ORIGINALS" in case of minors (6yr old)

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sowkhya View Post
                        Hi There,

I want to know who can fill "AFFIDAVIT IN LIEU OF ORIGINALS" in case of minors (6yr old)

Thanks in advance.
                        Why do you need to do that? You do not need a REISSUANCE till your minor turns 20 but you do need your original to fly to India. Did you lose the original OCI booklet?

Comment

Hello all, I have a similar situation and would appreciate your help/feedback. My sister got a new passport after turning 21 and we have submitted her application for re-issuance of an OCI card. It has been almost two months and we are still waiting as it is still "under process" per the consulate's website. I have reached out to them for an update.

We are travelling to India next month - in the event the new card doesn't come in time, can we travel with her old passport, which contains the India (U) sticker and her new passport without the OCI card to be granted entry into India?

Thank you for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by chiragp View Post
                            Hello all, I have a similar situation and would appreciate your help/feedback. My sister got a new passport after turning 21 and we have submitted her application for re-issuance of an OCI card. It has been almost two months and we are still waiting as it is still "under process" per the consulate's website. I have reached out to them for an update.

We are travelling to India next month - in the event the new card doesn't come in time, can we travel with her old passport, which contains the India (U) sticker and her new passport without the OCI card to be granted entry into India?

Thank you for your help!
                            Keep trying to reach the consulate in your zone and ask them to help you as you have an impending planned trip. I think you do not have the original OCI booklet any more as you have to send it in if I am not mistaken. I would recommend getting an eVisa for safety reasons right before travel.

Comment

Hi there,

I am having a similar conundrum

I got my OCI in 2009 on my childhood passport (born 1994) - I then got a new passport at age 19 in 2013. I'm not sure what the rules were at the time but my new passport details were never updated to my OCI, and I always used to travel with both passports and was fine.

It's now 2022 and I'm planning my first post-pandemic trip to India.

From what I understand, once I get a new passport next year I will need to get my OCI reissued (as it will be my first passport after 20 years) but for now all I need to do is update the details of my current passport online using the free service?

On the MISC services, I am only getting the option to change my address, rather than the free service to update my passport details. I'm not sure why this is, can anybody help?

Also, is this something I need to do if I am travelling before 31st Dec 2022?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X