Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

eVisa:US citizen not renounced Indian passport, how to fill Any other valid passport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eVisa:US citizen not renounced Indian passport, how to fill Any other valid passport?

Hello,

I became a new US Citizen a few weeks ago and got my new US passport very recently. I travel to India in less than 3 weeks. I am applying for an eVisa to travel on my US passport.

There is not enough time for me to complete the renunciation application for my Indian passport. I have mailed in my renunciation application but I doubt I will get the result before I have to leave. My region is San Francisco and it takes 21 days to process the renunciation in San Francisco.

In the eVisa form, page 1, I have entered all my US passport details. Right after that, in the section on "Any other valid passport", am I supposed to say No or should I enter details of my Indian Passport as it is not yet cancelled and not yet officially renounced?

And if I have to enter my Indian passport details, my Indian passport was issued in San Francisco, so what should I put down as Country of Issue? USA (where San Francisco is) or India (which is the country that provided the passport)?

Here is a screenshot for reference to see what I'm asking about:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 10.37.52 PM.png
Views:	653
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	784114

Thank you very much in advance!

I called eVisa support at +91 11 24300666 and spoke with a helpdesk agent. I was instructed to do the following given my situation above:
    1. For "Any other valid Passport held" say No if it has been mailed to consulate for renunciation and cancellation
    2. For "Have you ever visited India before" say No if you haven't traveled to India on your US passport before
    3. For "Countries visited in the last 10 years" leave blank if you haven't visited any countries in your US passport (or list only those visited on the US passport)
    Hope this is helpful.

Comment

Final update, folks: I filled out my eVisa form as mentioned in the the previous message. Within 24 hours, it was granted. Hopefully, this will help anyone in my exact situation with the same questions.

Comment

Thank you @beanpole9791 for sharing your experience! I also plan to apply for eVisa and this is good to know.

Comment

Did you get your evisa without problem?

Comment

very helpful post. in the same situation, will try the same route!

Comment

Originally posted by s4nju View Post
              Did you get your evisa without problem?
              Yes, no issues at all.

Comment

I am in similar situation , still have not applied for renunciation certificate or sent the passport. What should I input in section for any other passport held. No,! from what I see from your responses. Jains did you get the evisa and what did you input , were you successful? Thanks for info much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by traveler34 View Post
                  I am in similar situation , still have not applied for renunciation certificate or sent the passport. What should I input in section for any other passport held. No,! from what I see from your responses. Jains did you get the evisa and what did you input , were you successful? Thanks for info much appreciated.
                  The answer is "NO".

India does not recognize dual citizenships. The moment you gained Citizenship in another country, you are technically no longer an Indian citizen and your Indian passport is no longer valid. So you do not have any other valid passport.

Apply for your eVisa and submit all the required documents, and you will get the eVisa without any issues.

Comment

thanks for your input !

Comment

Hi All,

This is a very useful post, thank you very much as I am in the same situation and unable to surrender my indian passport in time before I travel to india.

I just had one more question, there is a question that asks if i receive citizenship by naturalisation or birth. What do I enter here? If I select naturalisation, I am guessing I need to state my previous nationality is Indian?

Comment

very helpful post. i am in a similar sitaution as well. Question, did any of you face issues in India for Renunciation still being under process ?Any advise will be of great help

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X