Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can one apply for OCI card immediately after getting USA citizenship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can one apply for OCI card immediately after getting USA citizenship?

My friend has renounced Indian passport and got USA citizenship. So want to know if application for OCI is valid now? Is there a wait period for OCI application? thanks, Som.

Need to 1st get a US passport and then apply for renunciation of Indian citizenship. Once these steps are complete, only then can he/she apply for OCI!

Originally posted by somenathb View Post
    My friend has renounced Indian passport and got USA citizenship. So want to know if application for OCI is valid now? Is there a wait period for OCI application? thanks, Som.

Comment

yes, we understand that process. but the question is different: "is there a wait time after getting usa citizenship and getting renounced indian passport?" Do we have to wait for few months before applying for OCI card?

Comment

Originally posted by somenathb View Post
        yes, we understand that process. but the question is different: "is there a wait time after getting usa citizenship and getting renounced indian passport?" Do we have to wait for few months before applying for OCI card?
        You can apply for OCI right after getting renounciation certificate. No wait time.

Comment

Like it has been said, you do NOT need to wait. You do not even need to wait to get your US Passport to get the renouncing done.

Back in the day, before these middlemen, I had sent my parents' OCI the very next day after we got their US Passports. Needed those passport numbers. We sent in the renouncing part and OCI all in ONE envelope and it was all processed just fine in less than 6 weeks. Year was 2010. With these agencies in the middle, they have complicated this to the nth degree and now you need separate applications and separate return fees and a bunch of other junk unfortunately.

IF you have the renounced passports and the new US passports, you are good to go to file the OCI application(s).

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X