Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Name Change on H4 visa

Hi,

I am on H1 visa. My wife came to USA with her maiden name in the passport and visa. Recently, as part of my passport renewal process, I have also applied for new passport for my wife by changing her last name to my family name. Now all the H4-Visa, ITIN, I94, I797 documents have her mainden name as last name but the new passport has new last name.

Can you please guide me on what should be my next steps? Whom (INS, IRS etc) and where (URL for accessing the correct name change links on those websites) should I update her name change details?

I really appreciate your help on this. I tried to search the forum but didn't find the answer that I am looking for.

Thanks again...
    Ram.

It is not that simple. Each place would be different procedure.

1. IRS - Just start using the new name whenever you file taxes or any other papers.

2. USCIS - There is really nothing to inform.

3. Visa - Nothing can be done. Carry both passports and marriage certificate to travel. When you get a new visa, get in the new name.

4. ITIN - Write to the same address where you originally applied with new passport proof and marriage certificate for name change.

5. Bank etc. - Show passport and marriage certificate for name change.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Immihelp! Your team is so helpful.

Thanks
      Ram.

Comment

Name Change: Add Last Name to Child

Originally posted by immihelp View Post
        It is not that simple. Each place would be different procedure.

1. IRS - Just start using the new name whenever you file taxes or any other papers.

2. USCIS - There is really nothing to inform.

3. Visa - Nothing can be done. Carry both passports and marriage certificate to travel. When you get a new visa, get in the new name.

4. ITIN - Write to the same address where you originally applied with new passport proof and marriage certificate for name change.

5. Bank etc. - Show passport and marriage certificate for name change.
        I hope same process is applicable for child name change. My child has below situation:
        Passport: Given Name: Manan, Family Name: <empty>
        H4 visa: First Name=FNU, Last Name=Manan. H4 is valid until 2016.

If I change the name on Passport from Family Name: <empty> to Family Name: Goyal, Do I need to take any action on VISA? Will he be able to travel to US with his New Passport (Name changed) and Old VISA in old passport?

He will be going to school and I learnt that not having last name in US is problematic.

I'd appreciate help here.
        Thanks,
        Pankaj

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X