Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA


No announcement yet.

Sponsored immigrant parent moving to another state, her houshold income OR my income?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sponsored immigrant parent moving to another state, her houshold income OR my income?

    I am at loss and need help plz.. When I look on the obamacare websites they ask for household income.

    My mom who just arrived in the US, 60yo, single, i'm the only child, i am the affidavit of support sponsor.
    She is leaving my state (MN) and moving to CA in a month to be with her mother as my grandmother needs someone to be with her.
    I am getting her short term insurance ASAP for a month.
    I want to get her insured on regular insurance so she's in compliance with Obamacare. Via Covered California, their website asks for household income..
    Which household income? Her + grandmother OR My household income?

    My income is supposed to be considered, a qualifying income, when it comes to her getting a reduced/affordable insurance plan.

    I am married, combined wife and my pre-tax income is about 80k from last yr's income (2013), and potentially will be 100k in combined pre-tax income this 2014 yr. I have major school debt. My wife and I file Taxes separatly.

    Mother is here for a month, going to move permanently to CA in April or May

    Cannot get her MNsure (minnesota obamacare) since she will be in CA..

    My income is supposed to be used as a qualifying income for her,.... but she is living somewhere else, in another household, does she use her household income or mine?

    Do I enter my household income, can she be within my household / be a tax dependent and be living in another state?


  • #2
    Please ask the Obamacare related questions to Obamacare staff to be sure.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

    Visa and Greencard Tracker

    Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.