Health Insurance for Elderly/Migrating Parent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health Insurance for Elderly/Migrating Parent

Greetings. Hoping to get some tips and/or advice on an immigration/health insurance predicament. My wife and I are looking to sponsor her mother’s immigration from the Philippines to come live with us. She is approaching 86 y.o., her lease agreement is running out on her apartment, doesn’t have any family over there in a position to take care of her, and reaching an age where she’s no longer a good candidate for living alone.

The thing that concerns us is her health care options once she arrives. I called Kaiser to see if she can be included in our family coverage and they said we’d have to go through Covered Ca. I went to Covered Ca. and they said there was nothing she qualified for (because of her age an pending immigration status) and that we’d have to talk with Social Services. Social Services doesn’t return phone calls.

Taking the risk of NOT insuring her, with her potentially needing some complicated procedure, could very well wipe out the little we have saved for our own retirement. I’ve looked at some expensive “Bridge” policies but they’re pretty brutal in regard to pre-existing conditions and excluding anyone with diabetes. We are really in the dark with this and hoping someone might have gone through this themselves or might have some insights into these circumstances.

Thanks!!

I was applied for AOS and I currently live in US. I sent my documents on November 1,2019, and they received on November 4, 2019.
    What date they will count? It’s always counts a sending date, with prove usps tracking.
    Do people applied from us need insurance too?

Comment

Hello all, Greetings from Cleveland Ohio. I am US citizen and living in US since 5 years now. I would really appreciate if I can get some feedback and tips from all the ImmiHelp gurus in this group.

Form 260 and AOS for my parents (father 78 yrs, mother 62 yrs) have been accepted. Documents that I had sent have been approved as well. Now I am waiting for IV interview dates from NVC.

Last week I found out that my dad was diagnosed with Oesophageal cancer, doctors say that its stage 3, recommend to have radiation/chemotherapy, if it doesn't work out than surgery as a last resort. They are living in Pakistan and started visiting doctors now.. My dad is unemployed since last 14 years and doesn't have any med insurance in pakistan.

My questions below:

1) Do I need to inform NVC about my dad's condition before they setup dates for interview?
      2) If I inform them than do I need to mention that I will buy medical insurance for them so that they don't reject my dad's IV visa?(Also please share a link where I can get the medical insurance for my zip code 44130).
      3) Suppose If I don't inform than will it get flagged in the IV medical test?
      4) Any tips and points that you guys can share based on your experience..

Comment

@abq2125: I see your message is from Dec 2019, so pls do share what your/parents' experience was.
        Its not clear from your message if your Dad's I-693 Immigration Medical Exam (IME) has already been completed prior to the diagnosis. Per my understanding, there is no obligation to inform any change in medical status beyond the I-693 certification from the designated doctor/panel physician.
        USC filed AOS for parents on B2. I am not a lawyer.
        Timeline
        7/21 <— 2 sets of I-130/485/944/864/131/765/693 reached Chicago Lockbox
        8/4 <— Checks cashed
        8/5 <— I-797 SMS
        8/24 <— Biometrics completed
        10/19 <— I-485 ("New Card Is Being Produced")
        10/20 <— I-130 and I-485 ("Case Was Approved")
        10/22 <— I-130 and I-485 Approval notices received
        10/28 <— Green card#1 received
        11/07 <— Green card#2 received

Comment

Some great tips. Thanks

Comment

As there are many insurance companies, it's essential to find the best option. For example, contact protect my car customer service and figure out all the details. Also go to the PissedConsumer website because this online reviews platform allows customers to post reviews and provide feedback about any product, service, or company. The site helps consumers find the best deals while avoiding scams. Users can review their experiences and share their observations with other customers.
            Last edited by Lanatory; 11-16-2022, 12:36 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X