Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance for senior citizens

Hi,

My brother is planning on sponsoring my parents for Green card, but is confused which insurance to purchase for them - my parents are 65+ years of age and my brother resides in Illinois. The premiums under Obama care seem to be very high at around $1,600-$1,800 per month per person which is unaffordable.

What insurance do green card sponsors do to purchase for their parents, since the cost seems to be very high for all states except California where there is Medi-Cal with very low premiums.

Please help.

Thanks.

Once your brother files for the green cards, he can purchase a new immigrant plan to cover them until they are approved for and they receive their green cards. Here is a website that provides new immigrant plans: https://www.insubuy.com/new-immigrant-insurance/
    These plans can cover them for new illnesses and injuries and are usually significantly less expensive since they do not cover pre-existing conditions,etc. like domestic insurance. Once they have the green cards, it will depend on what is available to them in their state as green card holders at that time as to what type of coverage they will be eligible for. Here you can find more information for Medi-cal: https://www.insubuy.com/medi-cal-eli...ew-immigrants/

Comment

Originally posted by ardent_guy View Post
      Hi,

My brother is planning on sponsoring my parents for Green card, but is confused which insurance to purchase for them - my parents are 65+ years of age and my brother resides in Illinois. The premiums under Obama care seem to be very high at around $1,600-$1,800 per month per person which is unaffordable.

What insurance do green card sponsors do to purchase for their parents, since the cost seems to be very high for all states except California where there is Medi-Cal with very low premiums.

Please help.

Thanks.
      Since you mention Medi-Cal, I am guessing they are low-income. The reason you are seeing high premiums for Obamacare is that there is usually only a subsidy if the person's income is between 100% and 400% of the poverty level, so if you select an income below 100% of the poverty level, it will calculate it with no subsidy, making it look like the premiums are very high. However, there is an exception where if they cannot get Medicaid in their state due to their immigration status (and new immigrants cannot get Medicaid in states other than California and New York), they can get the subsidy even if their income is below 100% of the poverty level. If the subsidy is considered, I bet the premium will be much lower. To be able to get this exception if their income is below 100% of poverty level, I believe they may have to first apply to Medicaid, be denied, and then apply for Obamacare with that denial to get the subsidy.

Comment

I had no idea it was so complicated. It helped me a lot. Thanks for sharing. I have an aunt who stays at an old house. We wanted her to stay with us, but she was adamant about being placed at an old house. Pretty odd. People in her position usually hate the idea. Anyway, since we couldn't persuade her, we looked for a lot of senior care options. In the end, I think we chose a good one as it is a thirty-minute drive from us and we can visit regularly. Plus, her insurance is enough to cover all the expenses.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X