Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

affordable care act applicable for elderly immigrants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• affordable care act applicable for elderly immigrants?

Hi,
    I am sponsoring green card for my parents. They are 83 years old and 75 years old. They plan to live in NJ,USA for 6-9 months and remaining time spend in India. My question is does affordable care act apply for them in this case? Which kind of insurance should they buy? (insurance from health care exchange or visitors insurance?). Basically do they need coverage for whole of year or is it enough if they have coverage while they live in USA?
    Thanks

Is it possible to buy my own insurance, include my parents in it. But I am also insured along with my wife in her company's insurance? So in essence I am double insured mainly for the purpose of including my parents under my insurance umbrella..

Comment

Hi Folks,
      My parents in AOS state currently and have alien numbers assigned to them. Would it be possible to get medical insurance for them via CoverdCA / Medi-cal at this point?
      Would this in any way jeopardize the AOS -> GC conversion by purchasing medicare / applying for senior citizen medical?

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by srp View Post
        Hi,
        I am sponsoring green card for my parents. They are 83 years old and 75 years old. They plan to live in NJ,USA for 6-9 months and remaining time spend in India. My question is does affordable care act apply for them in this case? Which kind of insurance should they buy? (insurance from health care exchange or visitors insurance?). Basically do they need coverage for whole of year or is it enough if they have coverage while they live in USA?
        Thanks
        Were you able to find a good insurance. I am in the same boat. Any leads? My mom is 78 years and I am looking for insurance

Comment

Originally posted by Towerwalah View Post
          Hi Folks,
          My parents in AOS state currently and have alien numbers assigned to them. Would it be possible to get medical insurance for them via CoverdCA / Medi-cal at this point?
          Would this in any way jeopardize the AOS -> GC conversion by purchasing medicare / applying for senior citizen medical?

Regards
          Hey! Did you find an answer to your question? I want to learn about options for getting medical coverage for parents on visa with age 65+. Does Medi-cal apply for them? Thank you!

Comment

If your parents plan to live in the US for more than 6 months in a year, they may want to consider enrolling in a health insurance plan, such as those offered on the health care exchange or through a private insurance company. Visitor insurance may not provide comprehensive coverage for extended stays and may not be accepted by all medical providers in the US.

Comment

Hi,
              Thanks
              I would recommend their getting insurance under ACA. It is easy. Based on their income or lack thereof, they may be eligible for premium reduction from the state of NJ, which will make the plans very affordable. Visitors insurance is quite limited, especially for a person who is 80+ years. When they go back, you can cancel the ACA, and reenroll them at open enrollment at the end of the year. You will have to time their return a bit.

I recently got my parents on GC, they are 80 and 88yrs and went down that path.

Comment

Hi,
                Thanks
                I would recommend their getting insurance under ACA. It is easy. Based on their income or lack thereof, they may be eligible for premium reduction from the state of NJ, which will make the plans very affordable. Visitors insurance is quite limited, especially for a person who is 80+ years. When they go back, you can cancel the ACA, and reenroll them at open enrollment at the end of the year. You will have to time their return a bit.

Comment

I'm in the same boat, currently living in California. Went to the coveredca website and tried to look up quotes. My household income does not qualify my for any assistance, so the quote came up to $1000 per month to insure a single parent!

Comment

Originally posted by lim_1 View Post
                    I'm in the same boat, currently living in California. Went to the coveredca website and tried to look up quotes. My household income does not qualify my for any assistance, so the quote came up to $1000 per month to insure a single parent!
                    Same here. Have the marketplace insurance for around $800 a month in our State but am looking to get that down if possible. I am still not sure about the household stuff, as although I sponsored my mom and of course paying for her but hearing various versions. She gets little pension from her country and has her own bank account but lives with me , so not sure

Comment

Thank you, folks, for starting this topic.

My parents are 65+, and they just entered first time with a green card stamped on their passports. We got their SSNs. But curious about where to get medical insurance for them. We are in Bay Area. I appreciate your help. Do they qualify for Medicare or any other kind of insurance? Please let me know.

Comment

I would check out with the Medicare first.
                        Does someone know what kind of health insurance will cover the costs of hearing aids? Anyone had experience with that?Would be perfect if some insurance cover at least half of the costs, of course if that even possible.
                        Last edited by amystivens; 05-31-2023, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Hi,
                          Thanks
                          You may purchase Visitors Insurance for your parents until their green card applications are approved. Once approved, they can purchase a long term insurance through the healthcare exchange, but there still may be some visitors insurance plans they are eligible for that would cover them in the interim. It's recommend to contact Insubuy at 1 (866) INSUBUY 467-8289 and speak with a licensed agent to advise you when you're ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Puneetaaa View Post
                            Thank you, folks, for starting this topic.

My parents are 65+, and they just entered first time with a green card stamped on their passports. We got their SSNs. But curious about where to get medical insurance for them. We are in Bay Area. I appreciate your help. Do they qualify for Medicare or any other kind of insurance? Please let me know.
                            You can purchase an insurance for them through the healthcare exchange. They will not be able to purchase Medicare until they've had their green card's at least 5 years. If there are no options in your state's healthcare exchange, then you may purchase a new immigrant health insurance plan from Insubuy to cover them until some type of domestic insurance becomes available.

Comment

Originally posted by MDUser View Post

How much are you paying per month in NJ. My father has been staying with me since couple of years. We stayed in IL and there he got free Medicaid. We recently moved to NJ and here in NJ; insurance cia ACA is coming out to be 800$ -900$ per month. So looking for options.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X