X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mady
    replied
    Two sets of POA ?

Firstly , thanks so much Chetan for posting such information to help others.

with reference to one of the points you mentioned below, what are these two sets of POA ?

Two sets of POA, printed one side of the pplain paper (stamp paper not required), page size A4 or legal is ok

let me give you a background on what i need, my bank has sent me a specific POA format and asked me to attest that from the Consulate on a 200 rupees stamp paper, my brother sent me the stamp paper (with the format bank provided), i am little confused with the two sets of POA you mentioned :

a) do you mean i should carry two original copies of Stamp paper (which my bank asked for) ?
    b) does consulate provide their specific POA ?
    c) are u referring to the POA form present on the embassy website ?

My second question to you is , do the witness need to be physically present in consulate/embassy for any verification ?

[QUOTE=chetanvidhate;329758]Friends,
    Hope the information below, based on my experience will help you someway:

- It is specific to Indian Embassy at NY
    - It is for Power Of Attorney (POA) attestation

What documents you need to carry:
    *** In originals (along with one photocopy of each document listed below; Embassy will keep it for their records)
    - Passport - Photocopy of all front and back 6 pages along with all non-blank pages in between
    - Address proof in USA - E.g. US State Driving License
    - Original Visa approval notice (e.g. work permits, student visas, family visas ; IMP - business visas not allowed)
    - Two sets of POA, printed one side of the pplain paper (stamp paper not required), page size A4 or legal is ok
    - Copy of recent bank statement, salary slips etc. (additional proofs, in case required)
    - Cash money, charges for ONE POA is $23 (check Indian Embassy NY site for specifics), no restrictions on number of pages

Leave a comment:

• gita9
    replied
    For US passport holders

What should I do differently if I have a US passport? I read that I have to get it apostilled. How do I do that?

Originally posted by chetanvidhate View Post
    Friends,

**** **** **** In originals (along with one photocopy of each document listed below; Embassy will keep it for their records)
    - Passport - Photocopy of all front and back 6 pages along with all non-blank pages in between
    - Original Visa approval notice (e.g. work permits, student visas, family visas ; IMP - business visas not allowed)
    - Two sets of POA, printed one side of the pplain paper (stamp paper not required), page size A4 or legal is ok
    - Copy of recent bank statement, salary slips etc. (additional proofs, in case required)
    - Cash money, charges for ONE POA is $23 (check Indian Embassy NY site for specifics), no restrictions on number of pages

**** **** **** Some important things to remember for POA
    - Do not sign against your name on POA, you will have sign before officer at embassy
    - Affix Indian passport size photograph near your name on POA (where you are going to sign) (on both copies of POA)
    - Check dates, names, addresses and other contents of POA for any obvious mistakes, typos etc.
    - You will have to take two witness signatures on POA, witness can be residents or citizen of USA who is above 21years and has a permanent address here in USA
    - Witness does NOT need to be present at Embassy at the time of attestation
    - The attestation by embassy is valid for 30days only (at least in state Maharashtra, INDIA), so you will have to notarize it in India Registrar office before it becomes invalid

Some precautions:
    - Carry stationary items like glue, pens, staplers etc.
    - Carry extra photocopies, passport sizes photos
    - Carry a USB drive which has POA draft copied in it, so that you can go to some UPS,FedEX or library nearby to edit and reprint, in case required
    - E-mail POA draft to your email address, for the same purpose
    - Office operation starts at 9.15, and there is token system so its first-in first serve basis
    - Try to get there early before 10am or there are chances that you will have to come next day to collect your POA
    - If two or more persons (residing in USA) giving POA to someone in India, all of those needs to be present at the time of attestation with all above original documents and its photocopies

How do they operate?
    The Misc services are available in the basement office of embassy. When you enter there, security officer will give you a token number. Once your number displayed on sign board, you will be asked to go to a window where a person will validate your original documents, match the names, address and other essential information with POA content and ask you to sign against your printed name on POA.
    Then you will be asked to go to adjacent room where at a window you will have to submit ORIGINAL passport and TWO copies of POA to a officer and pay the service charges in CASH (1 POA = $23) (Remember to collect receipt of it, which later be used to collect your passport and POA). The officer will check a few things like, photos are pasted, your signs are there on POA, both copies of POA matches and you have all required documents (photocopies) attached. officer will then ask you to come back after 12noon (in worse case next day 12noon if processed late). You cannot stay in Embassy so you will have to go out and explore a few options like visiting central park which is a walk-able distance from embassy, NY.
    Come back to Embassy 15mins early on given time. Officer will call your name (expect to hear some funny sound versions of your names ) and you will be handed over your original passport and POA after verifying your receipt. Ensure no page of passport missing or torn due to rough handling and POA has embassy stamp on all the pages & photograph and a officer sign with a stamp on last page of POA. You are free to go!
    With a proper preparation, visit to Indian Embassy, NY can be nice without any unwanted surprises or embarrassment! Have a nice time there!

(Refer Indian Embassy, NY site for most recent information and holidays)

Leave a comment:

• pankajd
    replied
    Originally posted by PradeepC View Post
    The NY Consulate website says for POA for Property, you need to apostille it.
    Is that correct since Apostille site says if it is apostilled, then you don't need India consulate attestation (as India always follows Hague convention)
    NY site says get apostilled only if you are a US passport holder or not submitting in person. OS, if you are India passport holder (not US citizen) and submitting in person for attestation at Consulate then you do not need apostilled.

Leave a comment:

• PradeepC
    replied
    The NY Consulate website says for POA for Property, you need to apostille it.
    Is that correct since Apostille site says if it is apostilled, then you don't need India consulate attestation (as India always follows Hague convention)

Leave a comment:

• akshayindia
    replied
    salary slip and bank statement notarization

Hi Chetan,

I need to get the salary slip and bank statements notarized. Do I need to present the original Salary slip and Bank statement in the embassy? I only have the softcopies of them as I do not receive salary slip or bank statement in hard copy. Please help.

Leave a comment:

• Power Of Attorney (POA) attestation in Indian Embassy, New York

Friends,

*** In originals (along with one photocopy of each document listed below; Embassy will keep it for their records)

***Some important things to remember for POA
    - Do not sign against your name on POA, you will have sign before officer at embassy
    - Affix Indian passport size photograph near your name on POA (where you are going to sign) (on both copies of POA)
    - Check dates, names, addresses and other contents of POA for any obvious mistakes, typos etc.
    - You will have to take two witness signatures on POA, witness can be residents or citizen of USA who is above 21years and has a permanent address here in USA
    - Witness does NOT need to be present at Embassy at the time of attestation
    - The attestation by embassy is valid for 30days only (at least in state Maharashtra, INDIA), so you will have to notarize it in India Registrar office before it becomes invalid

Some precautions:
    - Carry stationary items like glue, pens, staplers etc.
    - Carry extra photocopies, passport sizes photos
    - Carry a USB drive which has POA draft copied in it, so that you can go to some UPS,FedEX or library nearby to edit and reprint, in case required
    - E-mail POA draft to your email address, for the same purpose
    - Office operation starts at 9.15, and there is token system so its first-in first serve basis
    - Try to get there early before 10am or there are chances that you will have to come next day to collect your POA
    - If two or more persons (residing in USA) giving POA to someone in India, all of those needs to be present at the time of attestation with all above original documents and its photocopies

How do they operate?
    The Misc services are available in the basement office of embassy. When you enter there, security officer will give you a token number. Once your number displayed on sign board, you will be asked to go to a window where a person will validate your original documents, match the names, address and other essential information with POA content and ask you to sign against your printed name on POA.
    Then you will be asked to go to adjacent room where at a window you will have to submit ORIGINAL passport and TWO copies of POA to a officer and pay the service charges in CASH (1 POA = $23) (Remember to collect receipt of it, which later be used to collect your passport and POA). The officer will check a few things like, photos are pasted, your signs are there on POA, both copies of POA matches and you have all required documents (photocopies) attached. officer will then ask you to come back after 12noon (in worse case next day 12noon if processed late). You cannot stay in Embassy so you will have to go out and explore a few options like visiting central park which is a walk-able distance from embassy, NY.
    Come back to Embassy 15mins early on given time. Officer will call your name (expect to hear some funny sound versions of your names ) and you will be handed over your original passport and POA after verifying your receipt. Ensure no page of passport missing or torn due to rough handling and POA has embassy stamp on all the pages & photograph and a officer sign with a stamp on last page of POA. You are free to go!
    With a proper preparation, visit to Indian Embassy, NY can be nice without any unwanted surprises or embarrassment! Have a nice time there!

(Refer Indian Embassy, NY site for most recent information and holidays)

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X