Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anoopbal
    replied
    I just received my POA today from NY consulate. This thread helped me so hoping to return the favor.

The process is pretty easy. Although the consulate website says you require 2 witness signatures, I didn't have it nor they did ask for it. So I don't think you need it.

Just make sure you have the originals and copies of everything. And if you don't have a copy, they have a free copier machine in the room. They also have a glue stick.

I got there by 9.45 and there were 20 people ahead of me. So make sure you get there early if you can.

Leave a comment:

• NRIWAY
    replied
    POA Language

Originally posted by sagarerahul View Post
    Thank you for detailed post. I did not find one information. Does POA document have any language restriction? As I am dealing with matter which is in rural Maharashtra and local official preferred document is Marathi.
    Is that works, or POA documents need to be in English or Hindi only?
    Thank you,
    Rahul

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for detailed post. I did not find one information. Does POA document have any language restriction? As I am dealing with matter which is in rural Maharashtra and local official preferred document is Marathi.
    Thank you,
    Rahul
    Hi Rahul,

It depends on power of attorney declaration types. So usually it is available in both languages english and marathi.

Leave a comment:

• lpsmp
    replied
    POA by post for OCI card holder

Originally posted by amollg View Post
    Hi All,

I wanted to know if I can get the POA via courier or it is mandatory to be present at embassy? I am staying in Ohio state. Do I need to go NY consulate for POA? Please confirm.

Thanks,
    Amol.
    Hi Anmol
    I now have OCI card and need to do the POA for my dad a general POA..can u tell me how u did this process thro MAIL in new york consultte and what u had to enclose such as documents..i know i have to first get is Apostilled..pls advise..thkjs

Leave a comment:

• VAsuvius
    replied
    what does 30 day validity of POA attestation mean? Does it mean that POA is only valid for 30 days ? Or does it mean that POA has to be filed with some court or regulatory body in India within 30 days?

Leave a comment:

• sagarerahul
    replied
    Power Of Attorney (POA) attestation in Indian Embassy, New York- document laungaue

Thank you,
    Rahul

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you,
    Rahul

Leave a comment:

• atlasweb
    replied
    30 days.. but you can check.

Leave a comment:

• pks1900
    replied
    Thanks so much for taking the time to provide such detailed and precise instructions

Big Thanks !!

Originally posted by bmninada View Post
    Hello All,

After going thru the threads posted here I have realized there are significant amount of ambiguities and in fact in few places - incorrect information. I was responsible till late 2015 and directly dealt with exactly the topic in the discussion. That being said, I have listed below the correct procedure to execute.

MAIN DOCUMENT DETAILS:

1. It should be in plain paper preferably A4/Letter or A3/Legal.
    2. It is NOT recommended to provide PoA using Indian court issued so-called "stamp" paper.
    3. It is NOT recommended to attach any so-called "Revenue" stamps.
    4. It is NOT recommended to attach any photographs or finger prints.
    5. The correct terminology dictates the person(s) to whom power of attorney is being given is indicated as "ATTORNEY" and such should be used in the final page where signature is present, of the attorney. [It is very debatable topic - if you happen to have multiple attorneys, in which case a proper law firm in India as the attorney is more appropriate].
    6. The correct terminology is "PRINCIPAL" and there can be multiple principals. Such should be used in the final page where signature is present, of the principal(s).
    7. All pages of the PoA should have in footer or header Page X of Y (highly recommended, especially when subjected to being apostilled. I have seen certain states' policies dictate this as a requirement)
    8. There is NO need to initial on every page but the final page should have signatures of both principal(s) and attorney.
    9. Attorney signatures can be obtained in advance. Example - the PoA is first sent to India, attorney signs and returns back, which subsequently is submitted to the embassy.
    10. There is NO need to furnish identity proof of the attorney, except signature. This will be verified when registering the PoA in India.
    11. Contrary to what is stated here, there are NO set rules regarding format and structure of the PoA and also the subsequent notarization (if applicable). However, the preferred language is English for the PoA. Regional/Hindi languages are supported however there might be significant delays in getting the document attested.
    12. Within the PoA there is no explicit need to state personal identification criteria of attorney or principal like passport/DL/voter/Adhar numbers however it's imperative to have son/daughter of ____, and in conjunction - husband/wife of _______ (if married) as that's what is used regionally, In India. If siblings, then it can also be added - brother/sister of __________. (Please consult with attorneys specializing in Indian laws governing power of attorney for complex cases like orphans/adopted/etc.)

Please remember - this document's audience is NOT US but India. Verbiage/terminology/context and sentence structuring should follow the Indian Court standards.

CATEGORY - INDIAN CITIZENS

SUBMISSION: IN PERSON
    [Cost $23 - in cash, exact change]

1. Carry the PoA and ONE copy of the same.
    2. There is NO need to notarize the copy.
    3. Carry 2 photographs, passport size.
    4. Carry ORIGINAL US residency proof - Green Card, Visa, EAD, etc.
    5. Carry copy of #4 above, notarized.
    6. Carry ORIGINAL passport.
    7. Carry COPY of passport, all pages which are NOT blank. No need to notarize passport pages.
    8. If current passport does not have US residence address, carry ORIGINAL proof of address, preferred: driving license.
    9. Copy of driving license, both sides, notarized.
    10. There is NO need to add witnesses to the signatures. You're required to sign the PoA at the counter.

11. There is NO need to apostille the PoA. However, many do as it lends credibility to the final document, especially in India. In which case:
    Below is applicable only when PoA is apostilled
    12. Complete form in website and attach photograph.
    13. Notarize just this form. [You are still not required to notarize the copy of the PoA]
    14. In this case, you'll only submit what's stated in above steps along with 11 and 12. You are NOT required to sign in presence. You are NOT required to have witnesses or witness signatures. As you've apostle the original PoA, principal's and attorney signatures are already completed.
    15. You'll carry 1 extra photograph as you've used up 1 (see step 3 above) in the form itself.
    SUBMISSION - VIA POST
    [Cost $23 - in cashier check/money order/draft. NO personal checks]

1. Approximately, it'll take 10 business days or less to return.
    2. Please follow ALL steps as outlined above, except 10. Instead you'll follow steps 1 to 9 and then 11 to 13.
    3. Use USPS - use either flat rate priority or priority express to send the documents.
    4. Inside the flat rate envelope, containing all the document fold and provide another empty flat rate envelope of either priority or priority express. In this empty envelope, ensure to add the return label, pre-fixed.
    5. With all the documents add the financial instrument for $23.

CATEGORY NON-INDIAN CITIZENS

1. Carry the APOSTILLED PoA and ONE copy of the same.
    3. Carry 1 photograph, passport size.
    4. Carry ORIGINAL Non-Indian Passport
    5. Carry COPY of passport, all pages which are NOT blank. No need to notarize passport pages.
    6. If current passport does not have US residence address, carry ORIGINAL proof of address, preferred: driving license.
    7. Copy of driving license, both sides, notarized.
    8. There is NO need to add witnesses to the signatures.
    10. Complete form in website and attach photograph.
    12. Notarize just this form. [You are still not required to notarize the copy of the PoA]
    13. Submit at counter - as you've apostle the original PoA, principal's and attorney signatures are already completed.

SUBMISSION - VIA POST

2. Please follow ALL steps as outlined above.
    3. Use USPS - use either flat rate priority or priority express to send the documents.
    4. Inside the flat rate envelope, containing all the document fold and provide another empty flat rate envelope of either priority or priority express. In this empty envelope, ensure to add the return label, pre-fixed.

ONLY for "VIA POST"
    You are allowed to avoid sending the return envelope, pre-paid. In which case attach a second money order/cashier check for $25. In memo state - "for return processing <name of Principal(s)>"

POST POA ATTESTATION

1. Return PoA to attorney, or carry along with principal(s) if same is travelling to India.
    2. Embassy can not provide any guidance regarding subsequent steps involved. It varies from state to state, in India.
    3. It is safe to assume within 30 to 90 days of issuance of attested PoA, the same should be registered in the respective Indian state's regional Registrar office.
    4. Almost in all States, execution of property dealings thru PoA requires the same to be registered in Registrar's office. This is different from notarization in India.
    5. In many states, they will request for the presence of the principal(s) as their finger prints are registered/recorded along with their photos. This is where having an apostilled document comes in handy. However, this depends from state to state and may be subjected to actual display of current laws and regulations to the Registrar. Which is why its important to have an Indian Attorney conduct this operation in India, with Registrar.
    6. Once again - Embassy can not provide ANY guidance or suggestions. Whether a Registrar accepts and records the PoA as-is or requests for presence of the principal(s) is completely arbitrary I have witnessed cases where within the same state, it varies. .

Please note - above information is provided as a need-to-know basis and is represented as my personal interpretation with no relevance to Indian Embassy - its procedures/regulations/laws or personnel. Any queries against "post POA" section, will remain unanswered.

Leave a comment:

• bmninada
    replied
    Complete summary - from authoritative source

Hello All,

After going thru the threads posted here I have realized there are significant amount of ambiguities and in fact in few places - incorrect information. I was responsible till late 2015 and directly dealt with exactly the topic in the discussion. That being said, I have listed below the correct procedure to execute.

MAIN DOCUMENT DETAILS:

1. It should be in plain paper preferably A4/Letter or A3/Legal.
    2. It is NOT recommended to provide PoA using Indian court issued so-called "stamp" paper.
    3. It is NOT recommended to attach any so-called "Revenue" stamps.
    4. It is NOT recommended to attach any photographs or finger prints.
    5. The correct terminology dictates the person(s) to whom power of attorney is being given is indicated as "ATTORNEY" and such should be used in the final page where signature is present, of the attorney. [It is very debatable topic - if you happen to have multiple attorneys, in which case a proper law firm in India as the attorney is more appropriate].
    6. The correct terminology is "PRINCIPAL" and there can be multiple principals. Such should be used in the final page where signature is present, of the principal(s).
    7. All pages of the PoA should have in footer or header Page X of Y (highly recommended, especially when subjected to being apostilled. I have seen certain states' policies dictate this as a requirement)
    8. There is NO need to initial on every page but the final page should have signatures of both principal(s) and attorney.
    9. Attorney signatures can be obtained in advance. Example - the PoA is first sent to India, attorney signs and returns back, which subsequently is submitted to the embassy.
    10. There is NO need to furnish identity proof of the attorney, except signature. This will be verified when registering the PoA in India.
    11. Contrary to what is stated here, there are NO set rules regarding format and structure of the PoA and also the subsequent notarization (if applicable). However, the preferred language is English for the PoA. Regional/Hindi languages are supported however there might be significant delays in getting the document attested.
    12. Within the PoA there is no explicit need to state personal identification criteria of attorney or principal like passport/DL/voter/Adhar numbers however it's imperative to have son/daughter of ____, and in conjunction - husband/wife of _______ (if married) as that's what is used regionally, In India. If siblings, then it can also be added - brother/sister of __________. (Please consult with attorneys specializing in Indian laws governing power of attorney for complex cases like orphans/adopted/etc.)

Please remember - this document's audience is NOT US but India. Verbiage/terminology/context and sentence structuring should follow the Indian Court standards.

CATEGORY - INDIAN CITIZENS

1. Carry the PoA and ONE copy of the same.
    3. Carry 2 photographs, passport size.
    4. Carry ORIGINAL US residency proof - Green Card, Visa, EAD, etc.
    5. Carry copy of #4 above, notarized.
    6. Carry ORIGINAL passport.
    7. Carry COPY of passport, all pages which are NOT blank. No need to notarize passport pages.
    8. If current passport does not have US residence address, carry ORIGINAL proof of address, preferred: driving license.
    9. Copy of driving license, both sides, notarized.
    10. There is NO need to add witnesses to the signatures. You're required to sign the PoA at the counter.

11. There is NO need to apostille the PoA. However, many do as it lends credibility to the final document, especially in India. In which case:
    Below is applicable only when PoA is apostilled
    12. Complete form in website and attach photograph.
    13. Notarize just this form. [You are still not required to notarize the copy of the PoA]
    14. In this case, you'll only submit what's stated in above steps along with 11 and 12. You are NOT required to sign in presence. You are NOT required to have witnesses or witness signatures. As you've apostle the original PoA, principal's and attorney signatures are already completed.
    15. You'll carry 1 extra photograph as you've used up 1 (see step 3 above) in the form itself.
    SUBMISSION - VIA POST

2. Please follow ALL steps as outlined above, except 10. Instead you'll follow steps 1 to 9 and then 11 to 13.

CATEGORY NON-INDIAN CITIZENS

1. Carry the APOSTILLED PoA and ONE copy of the same.
    3. Carry 1 photograph, passport size.
    4. Carry ORIGINAL Non-Indian Passport
    5. Carry COPY of passport, all pages which are NOT blank. No need to notarize passport pages.
    6. If current passport does not have US residence address, carry ORIGINAL proof of address, preferred: driving license.
    7. Copy of driving license, both sides, notarized.
    8. There is NO need to add witnesses to the signatures.
    10. Complete form in website and attach photograph.
    12. Notarize just this form. [You are still not required to notarize the copy of the PoA]
    13. Submit at counter - as you've apostle the original PoA, principal's and attorney signatures are already completed.

SUBMISSION - VIA POST

2. Please follow ALL steps as outlined above.

ONLY for "VIA POST"
    You are allowed to avoid sending the return envelope, pre-paid. In which case attach a second money order/cashier check for $25. In memo state - "for return processing <name of Principal(s)>"

POST POA ATTESTATION

1. Return PoA to attorney, or carry along with principal(s) if same is travelling to India.
    2. Embassy can not provide any guidance regarding subsequent steps involved. It varies from state to state, in India.
    3. It is safe to assume within 30 to 90 days of issuance of attested PoA, the same should be registered in the respective Indian state's regional Registrar office.
    4. Almost in all States, execution of property dealings thru PoA requires the same to be registered in Registrar's office. This is different from notarization in India.
    5. In many states, they will request for the presence of the principal(s) as their finger prints are registered/recorded along with their photos. This is where having an apostilled document comes in handy. However, this depends from state to state and may be subjected to actual display of current laws and regulations to the Registrar. Which is why its important to have an Indian Attorney conduct this operation in India, with Registrar.
    6. Once again - Embassy can not provide ANY guidance or suggestions. Whether a Registrar accepts and records the PoA as-is or requests for presence of the principal(s) is completely arbitrary I have witnessed cases where within the same state, it varies. .

Please note - above information is provided as a need-to-know basis and is represented as my personal interpretation with no relevance to Indian Embassy - its procedures/regulations/laws or personnel. Any queries against "post POA" section, will remain unanswered.
    Last edited by bmninada; 04-01-2017, 07:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IamTimon
    replied
    Hi all,
    Thanks to all who shared their experience here. Below is my experience and everything went smooth.

Below are the documents that I took.

1. Power of Attorney (Photo is optional and I suggest you to paste your photo in the last page of POA where you sign)
    2. Passport (Photocopies of all non empty pages such as first, last , Visa and the pages where immigration seals are placed)
    3. Address Proof (Gas and Electricity bills.). Also submitted my salary slip but not required to do so.
    4. I also took i797A extension approval copies as my visa was expired

They charged me $23 only. I submitted two copies of POA. One for me and one for embassy to keep it as record. Some people here stated that they paid $46. But I paid only $23 and when they asked told them one for your reference. They were okay with it and didn't double charge me.

POA notary is done in office at the basement of Indian Embassy. When you enter the glass door, take a left door again. There will be a guy standing near by Xerox machine and distributing tokens. I reached there at 11 AM and Submitted the docs at 12 AM. I was asked to come after 1 PM. But they brought back the signed copies at 12.45 PM itself.

Other things:
    1. You can get witness signature before going to Embassy. But you must sign in POA while you submit the docs to Embassy. You should not pre-sign the documents.
    2. Self attestation in all other proof documents can be done in advance.
    3. GPS in iPhone doesn't work properly in NYC. So if you are talking your car, pre-plan the parking spot near by Embassy and park there itself. Street parking would be hard to find. (Many streets were blocked when I went and I had to go 2 miles further as my GPS was not working and I couldn't find parking myself by looking at the road signs).

Regards,
    Chandru

Leave a comment:

• kavs_kk
    replied
    POA attestion through mail

Originally posted by the_amk View Post
    Thanks to everyone who have shared their experiences. I am a US PP holder and also hold OCI. I am planning to get my POA attested at CGINY vial mail. Based on reading the threads on this post, I understand, I must send:application for misc services, the apostilled POA, notarized copy of drivers license (for proof of address), and notarized copy of US passport. However, when I look at the misc. application form on CGINY Website, it seems to indicate that one must send the original passport. Can someone who has done this recently via mail please confirm or deny? Thanks in advance.
    HI,
    I am Indian passport holder & planning to attest POA through GCINY via mail. Pls share me the detailed process to do so.
    I am unable to understand the process esp appostilled POA and other documents to be sent thru mail
    Kindly suggest.

Leave a comment:

• 13thzodiac
    replied
    Originally posted by VINOKPM View Post
    hi,

can someone tell me about, the attestation by embassy is valid for how many days? so I will make my father to notarize it in India (Tamil nadu) Registrar office before it becomes invalid?
    30 days.. but you can check.

Leave a comment:

• 13thzodiac
    replied
    Got POA from NY Consulate

I got POA from NY consulate recently and thought about sharing my experience.

I am indian citizen on H1B.. So this may not apply to US citizens/OCI/GC holders..

The process is very smooth if you have all the documents.. It took me exactly 3 minutes at the counter ( Had to wait 2 hours before my # was called).. Then 1 hour to collect stamped document..
    Documents needed:
    1. Two sets of POA - one you get back stamped and consulate keeps one. Be sure to put your passport # on each page of the POA. You need to sign in front of the officer. Keep one copy as backup just in case.
    2. Misc application form - Download and fill Misc services form from the website. Self explanatory. Need PP size photo
    3. Original passport - Consulate takes the original PP and returns back with stamped POA.
    4. First and last page of PP - two copies
    5. Driving License - Two copies Or any other Utility Bill for address proof
    6. Original - I797
    7. Two copies of I-797
    8. $ 23 for each page of POA. So if you have 2 pages on POA then carry $46. Lot of people thought it is $23 for complete POA irrespective of # of pages. That's not true. Lot of them had to run to ATM to get extra cash. carry exact change. Plus carry some 1's if you need to make copies of any documents at the consulate. they charge $1 per copy and ask for exact change. There is Citibank ATM on Madison Ave ( take left on Madison, ATM is on right). No credit/debit/checks accepted.

Carry extra copies of Misc service form in case you filled out wrong and need one there.
    Arrive as early as you can. Lot of people do not carry documents/cash/copies and take a lot of time at the counter. You will save lot of time if there are not many people ahead of you. So go early.

Leave a comment:

• the_amk
    replied
    Do you need to send original US Passport to CGINY to get POA attested by mail.

Originally posted by SuhasParkar View Post
    Hi, Thanks for all the above information.
    Can you please help me to know, do I have to send original passport via mail to embassy? or only notarized passport copy will work?

Thanks
    Suhas Parkar
    Thanks to everyone who have shared their experiences. I am a US PP holder and also hold OCI. I am planning to get my POA attested at CGINY vial mail. Based on reading the threads on this post, I understand, I must send:application for misc services, the apostilled POA, notarized copy of drivers license (for proof of address), and notarized copy of US passport. However, when I look at the misc. application form on CGINY Website, it seems to indicate that one must send the original passport. Can someone who has done this recently via mail please confirm or deny? Thanks in advance.

Leave a comment:

• rbadida
    replied
    Additional Info

Thank you to the original provider of this information. It was really helpful. I am an Indian passport holder and needed to attest Power of Attorney. My parents sent me the power of attorney via fedex. Here are details of my visit and hopefully can guide others:

Take Original and one photocopy of the following documents:

1. Power of Attorney (I am sure you already have your passport size photo on it)
    2. Passport (Photocopies of First, last and visa pages)
    3. Address Proof (I carried Driving license and Electricity bill). Anyone would have sufficed.
    4. I also took my EAD card (I am on OPT) and I-20 documents just in case.

I know this is no new information but my main point is regarding witnesses. Neither did I have any witness signatures or witnesses accompany me nor did they mention the word Witness to me. All you have to do is just sign on every page of your POA (both original and photocopy) in the presence of embassy officials.

The embassy has info saying time for submission of documents are 9 AM - 11:30 AM. I reached at 11:25 AM and still ended up getting my documents at 12:30 (Next slot is 4:30 - 5:00). I guess it depends on the day you are going and the number of people that day (I went on 13th Dec, 2016 - Tuesday). If you reach later than 11:30 AM, you won't be given a token. But the guard was kind enough to allow people who came after 11:30 to submit documents even without token. You also have a copier there in case you forget to take photocopies of any documents or need additional.

The embassy is near to Central park with less than 5 mins of walk from there.

Leave a comment:

• stig09
    replied
    I am not taking the two witnesses to the consulate, so do I need to get their signatures notarized?

Leave a comment:

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X