Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bringing food items to USA

Hi all,

My parents are planning to come to the US for the first time on visitors visa. Are they allowed to bring curry powder and some indian home made snacks? Should they declare it in the customs form? Is it better to bring in the hand / carry on baggage or check in baggage? Have the customs ppl ever checked anyones baggage and caught them for bringing food items. What kind of food items can we bring and what is not permitted? Please let me know ur experiences.

Thanks
    aneeta

They can bring that.

Does not have to declare anything.

What they can't bring is fresh fruits/vegetables etc.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Hi Immihelp,

Thanks a lot. This site has been very useful to me. U r doing a great job.

Thanks
      Aneeta

Comment

Hi, what about some tinned vegetable & meat soup, will they allow it?

Comment

yeah !! you should be able to get tinned, Factory sealed stuff. Once I was caught for not declaring the food. I was having pickles. The officer got me and asked me the reason for not declaring, I said,' Sorry Sir, i thought only raw foods like, fruits and vegetable should be declared, as I am carrying cooked food I dint declare!!". Officer said thats wrong, ANYTHING THAT GOES INTO THE MOUTH SHOULD BE DECLARED. He left me after that, he wanred me to declare next time. thats it.
          NOT A LEGAL ADVISER
          USE IT AT YOUR RISK

STRONGLY BELIVE US VISA IS A LOTTERY WON BY MANY .

Comment

Hi,
            Your parents can bring by informing the staff. I think liquid will not be allowed due to some critical conditions but solid material like fruits and other food like this can be easily taken to USA.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X