The letters of recommendation for the EB2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The letters of recommendation for the EB2

Hi. I am a researcher and university professor living currently in the US. I have a Doctorate degree, many publications, and appearances in conferences. I am self-petitioning for EB2-NIW. I have much evidence to provide about how I meet the criteria that they require for EB2-NIW including prestigious membership, publications, the importance of my research work in the field of public health. My questions are as follows:
    1. How many letters on average do a successful application need?. Do I need to attach CVs with the letters?.
    2. Do I need an attorney?. I have an attorney but I talked to my attorney today and since the fee is very high and the forms are straight forward I am reconsidering applying by myself. At this stage, the attorney is willing to return the full amount to me so I can apply by myself without an attorney. What the attorney does that the applicant cant do?. Do they favor applications with attorneys?
    Any advice is highly appreciated!

1. Get as many recommendation letters as you can to strengthen your case (probably it limit to the last 10 years though). Better to dump documents on them than to provide less...
    2. If you have the time, can follow form requirements, and have legal understanding to represent your case, then you don't need a lawyer. I could have done 80% by myself had I know what was actually required beforehand. It might be trickier in case of an RFE though

Comment

I ended the agreement with the attorney because of many reasons. The process just started few weeks ago and the attorney agreed to provide a full refund. I am relieved because it was a very big amount. I am considering hiring an attorney to do the I-140 but I think I can do the 485 myself. I also did the medical exam and it is valid for 60 days which the attorney did not tell me. In order not to have to do the medical exam again, I wonder if I can submit the I-485 before the I-140?.
      Thanks!

Comment

No, you cannot file I-485 before I-140. You can file I-140 and I-485 concurrently though. The most important form is the I-140. Once that it approved, you are pretty much golden. I-485 is mostly a formality. I-485 Interview may be waived, but if not waived, it takes about 20 minutes asking standard questions + questions on I-485.

Unfortunately, you may have to re-do your medical form I-693. The good news is that once correctly submitted, effective 8/12/21, the expiration date has been temporarily extended to 4 years from the date of the civil surgeon’s signature

Comment

I did the medical exam a few weeks ago. Can you send the link to the news about the extension of the validity of the medical exam to 4 years?

Comment

You mentioned that you work for a company, so I am assuming that you did not petition under EB2-NIW for researchers. Under which category did you petition?. I am an EB2-NIW researcher so I also have many publications and conferences as evidence for my work and its impact on the economy in the US which I hope a good attorney would know how to articulate. I am currently searching a good attorney with a reasonable fee. if you have a recommendation for a very good attorney who is well versed and up to date with the immigration laws, please share here. I am not interested in the terrible ones, had only a few clients, or those who do not follow the updates. Thanks!!

Comment

EB2-NIW has two routes: researcher and advanced degree. I self-petitioned under advanced degree because my company's policy does not allow GC sponsorship. Fortunately, they were willing to write over-the-top recommendation letters. I initially found attorney's through w.o.m, but got burned. The only great immigration lawyer I know is my BIL. Unfortunately, he cannot take cases external to his firm. Sorry, I can't be of help in this regard.

Your route is a lot more easier to prove than mine. I was one step away from saying I am Jesus, haha

*If you are not in a member of any national professional groups relevant to your field, join now...

Comment

Correction: I filed under EB2-NIW Advanced degree/ Exceptional Ability

Comment

USCIS Temporarily Extending Validity Period of Form I-693

Beginning Aug. 12, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services is temporarily extending the validity period for Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record, from two years to now four years due to COVID-19-related delays in processing.

Comment

For RFE, they wanted additional proof for qualifying under NIW. So, I engaged an expert to match my education and experience to NIW requirements. A different spin, so to speak...

Comment

I hired a new attorney and I am in the process again to prepare all the documents for the I-140. I have a question to you regarding the letters of reference. What did you tell your references to provide a letter?. How much h information about the petition did you share with the reference?. I am asking because the attorney I hired said that it is best to ask for letters from experts who do not work with you so the officer can see that there is no financial or work benefit that they gain from the process. I wonder what to say to my references in a request for a letter?. My attorney will draft the letters so it suits the language that the USCIS requires. Do I tell them that?

Comment

Besides the expert we engaged. All my recommendation letters came from people I've worked with. We tailored the letters to use the terms in the NIW requirements, then they filled in their own personal experiences working with me. Maybe your lawyer has their own success method. Yes, definitely tell them that your lawyer is drafting a recommendation letter and that you need their support putting their own voice to the letter. That way they don't all sound the same. Ultimately, you have to agree with the content so, it may be several drafts bouncing between you, the lawyer, and the recommender. Good luck!

Comment

Ok. Thanks. I have two senior experts in the field who will vouch for me. The attorney said that he will draft the letters and that`s what I told one of them. I am about to contact the other one but I know that he will support my application because he supports me professionally whether it is for a green card or a new academic position.

Comment

Great! Good luck with your application

Comment

Originally posted by S.mir View Post
                              Great! Good luck with your application
                              Hi. I have a question about the letters. I recall that you mentioned that all your references were people who knew you from work. I have two recommenders, experts in the field, one is considered independent, never met or worked with me but familiar with my work, and the other one dependent, worked with in the past.
                              Less than two months ago the independent recommender expressed his consent and willingness to support my petition and the attorney start working on drafting the letter and the petition which took some time. A week ago I emailed the draft letter to the independent recommender with a new revised CV and asked him to review and let me know about any questions and return it I possible within 2 weeks. It has been a week and I have not received a reply from him. The other dependent recommender responded and said will send it signed soon (I am not worried about this recommender).
                              My question is: how long did it take for your recommenders to send their letters?. How much time did you have to wait?. Would a recommender change his mind because an attorney drafted the letter?. Thanks!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X