May I submit I-485 before I-140?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May I submit I-485 before I-140?

I am a university professor self-petitioning for EB2 with the assistance of an attorney. I am considering hiring an attorney to do the I-140 only. After reviewing the I-485, I think I can do the 485 myself. I had an attorney for 3 weeks but I ended the relationship with the attorney, so I have already the medical exam report and it is valid for 60 days which the attorney did not tell me. In order not to do the medical exam again which is costly, I wonder if I can submit the I-485 before the I-140?.

No. You can only file I-485 at the same time as or after filing I-140

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Question0327 View Post
      I am a university professor self-petitioning for EB2 with the assistance of an attorney. I am considering hiring an attorney to do the I-140 only. After reviewing the I-485, I think I can do the 485 myself. I had an attorney for 3 weeks but I ended the relationship with the attorney, so I have already the medical exam report and it is valid for 60 days which the attorney did not tell me. In order not to do the medical exam again which is costly, I wonder if I can submit the I-485 before the I-140?.
      Hi Member,
      You can not file I-485 without I-140 petition. Either you can file I-140 and I-485 together or after filing I-140 and get approved.
      Thanks

Comment

I hired a new attorney and I am in the process again to prepare all the documents for the I-140. I have a question for you regarding the letters of reference. What did you tell your references to provide you with a letter for immigration purposes?. How much information about the petition did you share with the reference?. I am asking because the attorney I hired said that it is best to ask for letters from experts who do not work with you so the officer can see that there is no financial or work benefit that they gain from the process. I wonder what to say to my references in a request for a letter?. My attorney will draft the letters so it suits the language that the USCIS requires. Do I tell them that?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X