Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Staying in Schengen area after German residence permit expires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying in Schengen area after German residence permit expires?

I'm a USA citizen in Germany, I've been working here as an au pair for about 7 months (since early March), and my visa expires soon.

I went to the foreigner's office and told them which day I am planning on flying out of Germany back to the U.S., and they took my flight information and said "We'll send you an appointment notification soon." I have no idea of when this letter notifying me of an appointment will come; last time it took two months, and I'm leaving less than 60 days from today.

I'm basically here to ask if anyone knows whether or not I am allowed to stay in Germany visa-free as an American from the time my visa expires until I leave (about 50 days). Leaving the Schengen zone isn't an option for me at the moment, because I'm finishing up my au pair contract and don't have the funds in my budget for a last minute flight to the UK, Croatia, or other non-Schengen country.

I just want to know that I'm not going to be kept from boarding my flight back to the United States. Fingers crossed!

(New member, long time lurker!)

Hi, I'm having the same problem right now. My au pair visa/residence permit expires soon and was wondering if the 90 day tourist visa applies after it expires. Did it work for you?

Comment

Did the 90 day visa work for you when your aupair visa expired?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X