Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travelling Chicago - Mumbai - Chicago (Transit Visa)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling Chicago - Mumbai - Chicago (Transit Visa)

Hello I am on H1, I have my visa stamped on passport. I am travelling in Air-India from Chicago - London - Mumbai. I dont have to change any planes.

I called Air-India to make sure that do I need transit visa and they told I dont need transit visa as far as I have visa stamped on passport.

When I called british embassy they told me I need transit visa.

Couple of my friends went to India on same route last week without transit visa and they didn't had any problem.

So any help regarding this will be really appreciated.

Thanks.

The correct answer is one I can't answer from your post. When you called the British Consulate, they would have asked if you a) had a valid US visa and b) when you last entered the United States. Based on your answers, they will have said you either

i)need a visa as you last entered the US more than 6 months ago

or

ii)that because you last entered the US more than 6 months prior to your intended date of travel, you do require a transit visa.

Personally, if the Embassy of the country concerned tells you you need a visa, and the airline tells you you don't, I know which answer I'd stick with.

From your friends experiences, Air India obviously aren't following the rules as closely as they should. In all likelihood this won't be a problem until someone who Air India have boarded incorrectly decides that they would like to leave the airport and at that point UK Immigration are likely to fine Air India £2,000 per passenger that is in the UK without a Visa who needs one. At this point Air India are likely to start paying more attention to the rules. Whether your trip takes place before this event I can't say, but if you don't want to run the risk of being denied boarding, you should get a visa.

The Chicago office can do your transit visa the same day if you apply in person, or generally within 5 working days if you apply by mail, why run the risk of having your plans messed up?

Comment

read https://www.immihelp.com/non-usa-transit-visa/
      Immihelp Support
      No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X