This sounds complicated, but please try to read I could really use the help.

My husband and I have been married over five years and live apart and want to move to Portugal, I am in USA and he is in Egypt. I am planning on travelling alone and arrive in Portugal in May. From what I understand I have to wait three months for an appointment to get my Resident Visa, I don't know at that time if I can request to do family reunification, which takes three months in itself, so a total of six months at least. Plus my husband needs a work permit.
My question is would it be possible for my husband to come to Portugal on a tourist visa make an appointment to extend his stay while I put in for the family reunification while he remains in Portugal? This way I am not alone for six months. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks for your time.