Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F1 Visa Renewal just before graduation and Interview Waiver Program (IWP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 Visa Renewal just before graduation and Interview Waiver Program (IWP)

Hi all,

My current F1 visa is valid till July 2013. My I-20 is valid until August 2013. I will be graduating in July/August 2013 with a PhD. I'll be applying for OPT after graduation and will be on OPT until I get my next visa. I read that if you want to travel on OPT, you still need a valid visa (and mines is expiring in July). So I am planning to renew my F1 visa in May 2013 by going to India. So here are my questions:

1. My I-20 is valid until August, and I'm graduating in August. Will the USCIS even consider renewing my visa, because I'm not going to be in school after August? Is renewal for a future OPT (I won't be having any sanctioned OPT in May when I go to India) considered valid? In short, what are the chances of them renewing the visa?

2. In case you think the chances are low, will it be better if I extend my I-20 into the Fall 2013 semester and then apply for visa renewal? (I would like to avoid this as much as possible since it'll mean I'll have to stay in the university for another semester.)

3. I do qualify for the Interview Waiver Program. Has anyone actually NOT been interviewed and given a visa renewal? If yes, what type of visa was it? Any tips? Till now I've heard that they interview you even if you go through the IWP.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, Does your visa has "Clearance received" annotation?. Did you 221g administrative processing the first time when you got your F-1 visa?
    If yes, then you dont qualify for dropbox option.
    Visa renewal should not be a problem as long as you are in good standing in your school?

Originally posted by antimonyfru View Post
    Hi all,

My current F1 visa is valid till July 2013. My I-20 is valid until August 2013. I will be graduating in July/August 2013 with a PhD. I'll be applying for OPT after graduation and will be on OPT until I get my next visa. I read that if you want to travel on OPT, you still need a valid visa (and mines is expiring in July). So I am planning to renew my F1 visa in May 2013 by going to India. So here are my questions:

1. My I-20 is valid until August, and I'm graduating in August. Will the USCIS even consider renewing my visa, because I'm not going to be in school after August? Is renewal for a future OPT (I won't be having any sanctioned OPT in May when I go to India) considered valid? In short, what are the chances of them renewing the visa?

2. In case you think the chances are low, will it be better if I extend my I-20 into the Fall 2013 semester and then apply for visa renewal? (I would like to avoid this as much as possible since it'll mean I'll have to stay in the university for another semester.)

3. I do qualify for the Interview Waiver Program. Has anyone actually NOT been interviewed and given a visa renewal? If yes, what type of visa was it? Any tips? Till now I've heard that they interview you even if you go through the IWP.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

I will say don't try to renew it. Chances of getting stuck in adm processing are still there. I have going thru the same ..School has started and there is no news on my adm processing. Just stay in US with the expired Visa if coming back to India after graduate is not necessary. Rest depends on your circumstances.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X