Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L2 / EAD Process

Hi there
    I think I am joined by many people in struggling to get sufficient information of the rights/process required for L2 Visa holders who want to work. Can anyone please help me understand these?:

- How long does it take to get an EAD Processed?
    - As an L2 Visa holder, am I allowed to start work while my EAD is still being processed?
    - As an L2 Visa holder, am I allowed to work voluntarily (ie withhold getting any payments) while my EAD is still being processed?
    - As an L2 Visa holder, am I allowed to start my own business? If not, what do I need to do to enable this?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Originally posted by SSBB View Post
    Hi there
    I think I am joined by many people in struggling to get sufficient information of the rights/process required for L2 Visa holders who want to work. Can anyone please help me understand these?:

- How long does it take to get an EAD Processed? -- 2 to 3 months
    - As an L2 Visa holder, am I allowed to start work while my EAD is still being processed? -- No, you need to have approved EAD in hand.
    - As an L2 Visa holder, am I allowed to work voluntarily (ie withhold getting any payments) while my EAD is still being processed? -- Technically you are not allowed. Volunteer position is such that all others in that position are also unpaid volunteers.
    - As an L2 Visa holder, am I allowed to start my own business? If not, what do I need to do to enable this? -- You can invest in a business (anyone can), but in order to work for that business you need EAD.

Many thanks in advance for your help
    See above.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

EAD Approved in 2 months without Biometric or RFE.

I gathered a lot of information from valuable comments from this forum and thought now it's time to pay back. So here's my detailed experience..

In short, I got my EAD approved in 2 months, without Biometric, RFE and to clear out dilemma which a lot like me have owing to our jobs back here, I did not stay in US for the entire duration. I only waited for a month, to ensure that I am present if there's a biometric , which usually happens within a month.

A couple of things I want to highlight though - I tried to doubly sure that I send as many document proof as possible with clear markings and a cover letter. Also, I did have SSN number from my earlier visit (was earlier there on H1B for over a year).

Here's the timeline:

1. Tried to fedex (Same Day) on May 27 to Lewisville (Dallas) Lockbox Facility... It was apparently returned by USCIS because it was Same Day Delivery. Not sure what's the issue with Fedex Same Day - No comments or reviews available online to suggest that they don't accept Same Day but Fedex returned it stating USCIS didn't accept the delivery.

2. Without wasting time for that packet to return next day, I posted another set of documents on May 27th itself to USCIS, Lewisville Facility by USPS Priority Express (guaranteed delivery)'

3. Packet got delivered on May 28, 12 PM..

4. Cheque got cleared on May 30, 2014.

5. Email Notification for Acceptance of Documents Received on June 2, 2014. This contains Receipt Number.
      No updates then on until Aug. I didn't raise any query either.

6. Status Directly changed from Initial Review to Card Production on Aug 1. The notice says that the card would be delivered within 30 days...

7. So total days in decision... Precisely 2 months..

8. Card Shipped on Aug 7, 2014

9. Received card on Aug 9, 2014

I came back to India after applying EAD and staying in US for a month, from May 24 - June 29.. I did doubly ensure that I send as many documents as possible.

Documents Sent (in this order)' :

1. Cover Letter with clear details of documents attached
      2. Personal Check for Filing fee of $380
      3. 2 Photographs
      4. Form G-1145 for e-Notification of Application
      5. I-765 form
      6. I-94 of EAD Applicant, I94 Number
      7. Copy of Passport of EAD Applicant (L2 Visa Holder)'
      8. Copy of Visa of EAD Applicant
      9. I-94 of L1 Visa Holder
      10. Copy of L1 Visa
      11. Copy of Passport of L1 Visa Holder
      12. Copy of Indian Marriage Certificate, issued by Government of Delhi, India
      13. Employment Letter of spouse - L1 VISA Holder
      14. Copy of Indian Driving License of EAD Applicant(L2 Visa Holder)
      15. Copy of Indian Driving License of L1 Visa Holder . Includes Spouse’s name

Comment

Why did younot efile ?

[QUOTE=MaxPayne;351129]I gathered a lot of information from valuable comments from this forum and thought now it's time to pay back. So here's my detailed experience..

In short, I got my EAD approved in 2 months, without Biometric, RFE and to clear out dilemma which a lot like me have owing to our jobs back here, I did not stay in US for the entire duration. I only waited for a month, to ensure that I am present if there's a biometric , which usually happens within a month.

A couple of things I want to highlight though - I tried to doubly sure that I send as many document proof as possible with clear markings and a cover letter. Also, I did have SSN number from my earlier visit (was earlier there on H1B for over a year).

I am planning to apply for EAD this week for my Spouse on L2. Your details are helpful, but have a question, Why did you not use efiling ?.. Can I use efiling or paper submission is better?

Thanks in advance

Comment

EAD ,money order

Hi ,

I will do money order $380 for creating EAD.
          Can any one please inform me the to which name I will do the money order ( I.e Payable to ...)

2.. which address I will send all the documents

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPayne View Post
            I gathered a lot of information from valuable comments from this forum and thought now it's time to pay back. So here's my detailed experience..

Here's the timeline:

1. Tried to fedex (Same Day) on May 27 to Lewisville (Dallas) Lockbox Facility... It was apparently returned by USCIS because it was Same Day Delivery. Not sure what's the issue with Fedex Same Day - No comments or reviews available online to suggest that they don't accept Same Day but Fedex returned it stating USCIS didn't accept the delivery.

2. Without wasting time for that packet to return next day, I posted another set of documents on May 27th itself to USCIS, Lewisville Facility by USPS Priority Express (guaranteed delivery)'

3. Packet got delivered on May 28, 12 PM..

4. Cheque got cleared on May 30, 2014.

5. Email Notification for Acceptance of Documents Received on June 2, 2014. This contains Receipt Number.
            No updates then on until Aug. I didn't raise any query either.

6. Status Directly changed from Initial Review to Card Production on Aug 1. The notice says that the card would be delivered within 30 days...

7. So total days in decision... Precisely 2 months..

8. Card Shipped on Aug 7, 2014

9. Received card on Aug 9, 2014

I came back to India after applying EAD and staying in US for a month, from May 24 - June 29.. I did doubly ensure that I send as many documents as possible.

Documents Sent (in this order)' :

2. Personal Check for Filing fee of $380
            3. 2 Photographs
            5. I-765 form
            6. I-94 of EAD Applicant, I94 Number
            8. Copy of Visa of EAD Applicant
            10. Copy of L1 Visa

Hi Thanks for detailed info..

I have query on biometric ... did you not go for biometric?
            I have applied for EAD for my wife ( she has L2 ) ... Submitted application on 20th Oct 2016. USCIS received on 24th Oct.

Do they send biometric appointment date ?
            Do I need to book it separately? I am not getting info on how to book biometric appoint?

Regards,
            Avdhut

Comment

L1-B renewed from Canada while L2 is still valid

HI. I have recently visited canada to renew my L1-B visa and got a new L1-B visa. My new old L1-B petition was expiring in Jan next year and my employer sent me for a new visa application from Canada. My new visa is valid thru 2019 now.
              My wife works in states and on L2 visa but her visa was not renewed as her current I 94 is valid thru 2018 and her visa is valid try 2019. Her EAD is expiring soon and I need to apply for her extension of EAD. I just noticed that my new visa has a new petition number and her current L2 visa has my old petition number on it. will this create any issue while her extending her EAD? please help. thanks

Comment

L2 - EAD received - experience

EAD renewable for spouse of L1 visa holder

I had my EAD for past 2 years and had to put it for extension ( renew)

Timeline
                - all documents were posted and received by USCIS - Oct 13, 2017
                - no RFE
                - multiple follow ups done Nov-Dec- Jan
                - asked for expedite processing after 75 days - got denied as spouse had a job -
                - got approved Feb 5th 2018 ( ~125 days)

Apply as soon as you can. You can apply 180 days before expiry. I did not do that and suffered the wait after my 1st EAD expired.

Comment

L2 EAD, L2 EAD processing timeline

Hi, can you please tell which center was your EAD renewal case filed with?

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                  EAD renewable for spouse of L1 visa holder

I had my EAD for past 2 years and had to put it for extension ( renew)

Timeline
                  - all documents were posted and received by USCIS - Oct 13, 2017
                  - no RFE
                  - multiple follow ups done Nov-Dec- Jan
                  - asked for expedite processing after 75 days - got denied as spouse had a job -
                  - got approved Feb 5th 2018 ( ~125 days)

Apply as soon as you can. You can apply 180 days before expiry. I did not do that and suffered the wait after my 1st EAD expired.

Comment

I got my L2 EAD approved in 2.5 months, without Biometric, RFE and to clear out the air for a ppl like me .

I did stay in US for the entire duration. , assuming it happens within a month.

Remember according to their site uscis it can take upto six months to get EAD

A couple of things I want to highlight is I made double sure that I sent relevant documents as possible with clear markings and a cover letter. Also, I did have SSN number ( better to have before u send docs )

Here's the timeline:

1. I posted documents on Jan21 2018 to USCIS, by Fedex Express

2. Do not post multiple set of documents as it throw them off

3. Packet got delivered on Jan 24, 12 PM.

4. Check got cleared one week later ,Got email receipt for same of documents received

5. Email Notification for Acceptance of Documents Received on Jan 30, 2018. This contains Receipt Number.
                    No updates then on until Feb 24 . I didn't raise any query either. after 60 days asked for expedite processing got denied as spouse had a job , its better not to expedite until u have valid reason
                    after 75 days Raised "service request" thru call saying No RFE has been asked for , the operator said thats your records has been clean and no need for RFE so will raise Service request

6. The day i raised the service request, Status Directly changed from Initial Review to approved to Card Production . The notice says that the card would be delivered within 30 days...

Documents Sent (in this order):

2. Personal Check for Filing fee of $410
                    3. 2 Photographs (US Visa passports)
                    5. I-765 form
                    6. I-94 of EAD Applicant, I94 Number spouse
                    8. Copy of Visa of EAD Applicant and spouse
                    10. Copy of L1 Visa

Comment

L2 EAD approved in 2.5 months

I got my L2 EAD approved in 2.5 months, without Biometric, RFE and to clear out the air for a ppl like me .

Remember according to their site it can take up to six months to get EAD

A couple of things I want to highlight is I made double sure that I sent all relevant documents as possible with clear markings and a cover letter.

Also, I did have SSN number ( better to have before u send docs )

Here's the timeline:

1. I posted documents on Jan 21 2018 to USCIS, by Fedex

4. Check got cleared one week later ,Got email receipt for documents received

5. Email Notification for Acceptance of Documents Received on Jan 30, 2018. This contains Receipt Number.
                      No updates then on until Feb 24 . I didn't raise any query either.

After 60 days asked for expedite processing got denied as spouse had a job , its better not to expedite until u have valid reason
                      after 75 days Raised "service request" thru call saying No RFE has been asked for , the operator said thats your records has been clean and no need for RFE so will raise Service request

6. The day i raised the service request, Status Directly changed from Initial Review to approved to Card Production . The notice says that the card would be delivered within 30 days...

5. I-765 form
                      10. Copy of L1 Visa

Comment

Which service center did you apply at? California or Texas or Vermont?

Comment

Originally posted by seema_ps View Post
                          Which service center did you apply at? California or Texas or Vermont?

Vermont

Comment

Leaving the country

Woow, so many useful information! Thanks!
                            However, I am here for a specific reason:
                            I will be in the US with an L2 from May 14th. I need to leave the country between May 26th-May29th. I wonder:

- Should I apply for the EAD when I arrive on May 14th or should I wait until after May29th?

- Does leaving the country without having an EAD or an SSN represent a problem?

Anyone with insightful experiences to share?
                            Cheers

Vale

Comment

help needed for l2 ead

I am preparing to send my application sooner. since you already applied, can u pls help me with this?

-->do i need to write anything on the documents attached with the form I 765?
                              -->how did u attach the various documents all together? ( i mean stapled or did something else)
                              -->have you wrote ur A- number and name on each document attached?

thanks in advance

Originally posted by mpslnt View Post

Remember according to their site uscis it can take upto six months to get EAD

A couple of things I want to highlight is I made double sure that I sent relevant documents as possible with clear markings and a cover letter. Also, I did have SSN number ( better to have before u send docs )

Here's the timeline:

1. I posted documents on Jan21 2018 to USCIS, by Fedex Express

4. Check got cleared one week later ,Got email receipt for same of documents received

No updates then on until Feb 24 . I didn't raise any query either. after 60 days asked for expedite processing got denied as spouse had a job , its better not to expedite until u have valid reason

5. I-765 form
                              10. Copy of L1 Visa

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X