Passport Renewal - SFO Indian Consulate - Doubt regarding documents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport Renewal - SFO Indian Consulate - Doubt regarding documents

There is a recent change of vendor from VFS Global to BLS India and lot of new rules came in.

One of the clauses under "Documents Required" says:

Notarized Color photocopy of current valid US visa on passport or Green card or Employment Authorization Card or I- 797 approval notice documents. Student visa Status holders must enclose I-20 Document as well.

If your visa has expired and/or or you have the receipt notice for extension of your visa then: NYC, SFO & HOU Jurisdiction Applicants - must provide a notarized no status affidavit with photocopy of the valid passport and the green card of two witnesses duly notarized + 7 Copies of Nationality Verification Form (Given in Point 2 above) are required and each copy must have an original photograph affixed on it.

WAS/ATL/HOU/CHI Jurisdiction Applicants - must visit the consulate in person for an interview before applying at the passport application center.

Doubt - Right now, my Visa got expired however I have a valid I-797 approval copy with extended I94. Since I did not go to India after the extension approval hence I do not have any re-stamped visa. So, I am not sure if I am falling under the clause mentioned in the 2nd paragraph above. The way I read that clause is - "If my visa got expired and I am waiting for the approval notice with only extension receipt in hand", then only I should take care filling up "no status affidavit with photocopy of the valid passport and the green card of two witnesses duly notarized" . But since I already got I-797 approval with extended I94, now I should not be bothered about this clause and providing the copy of I-797 approval copy should suffice the document need.

Could anyone please help me in this regard as different people are having different kinds of opinion on this.

Regards,
    Avijit
    Last edited by avijitghosh; 07-13-2013, 05:43 PM. Reason: Some more clarity provided

Passport Renewal - New York Indian Consulate - regarding no status affidavit

I've the same situation as of Avijit. I've sent my application for passport renewal to BLS New York using USPS on 8/8/2013 and they've returned the passport to me yesterday stating that no status affidavit needs to be submitted. My Visa is expired in Jun 2013, however I've got my I-797 approval notice. Really confused about the instructions in BLS website.

If any one knows about this, please advice.

Thanks,
    Surendra.

Comment

Passport Renewal - SFO Indian Consulate - Doubt regarding documents

Hi Surendra,

Please let us know if you ever got answer to your query? We are also in the same situation. Have you got your passport renewed with two witnesses?

Please reply its very urgent!

Thanks,
      Pankaj

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Avijit,

Did you get an answer to your query. Please let us know how did you proceed in your case as we are also in the same situation.

Thanks,
      Pankaj

Comment

Please let us know the answer

Originally posted by pankaj1m View Post
        Hi Surendra,

Please let us know if you ever got answer to your query? We are also in the same situation. Have you got your passport renewed with two witnesses?

Thanks,
        Pankaj

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Avijit, us

Did you get an answer to your query. Please let us know how did you proceed in your case as we are also in the same situation.

Thanks,
        Pankaj
        Hi-
        Can someone please tell the final way ? We are also in similar situation

Comment

Hi,

Can anyone advise on what they did finally in this situation.. Thanks

Comment

Renewal of passport if visa stamp has expired but you have valid I - 797

Hi everyone,
            I would like to share my experience of renewal of Indian passport in New York. It was an excellent experience. I had main concern about having visa stamp expired but having valid I -797 approval notice. My doubt was about whether I need the no status affidavit with photocopy of the valid passport and the green card of two witnesses duly notarized. I googled it a lot but I was still not sure whether I need that or not. I personally visited BLS New York location to submit my renewal passport application. They were very nice and told that I don't need the affidavit if I have valid I - 797 though my visa stamp has expired. I got my passport in 2 and 1/2 weeks. I thought sharing this information will be helpful for others.

Comment

SFO Consulate-With expired visa stamp, approved I-797

Hi Avijit,

Did you need a affidavit of support with witness signatures at the SFO jurisdiction for renewing your passport?

Thanks,
              Pragyna

Comment

SFO Consulate-With expired visa stamp, approved I-797

Folks,

Does anyone have any information regarding requirement of Affidavit of No Status required at the SFO consulate. If I have a valid I797, would they still require this affdavit?

Thanks,
                TM

Comment

SFO Consulate - Passport Renewal for Minor

Hi TM,

Did you get any answer for your query, we (me, wife, child) have our visa stamping expired, with valid I-797 extension & I-94. My child's passport is expiring in next 2 months time, and need to renew the passport (below 14 years) Do we need the Affidavit of No status at SFO consulate?

Thanks in advance.

cktechie
                  Last edited by cktechie2012; 12-04-2015, 01:10 AM. Reason: adding additional info

Comment

Affidavit of No status at SFO consulate?

Originally posted by cktechie2012 View Post
                    Hi TM,

Did you get any answer for your query, we (me, wife, child) have our visa stamping expired, with valid I-797 extension & I-94. My child's passport is expiring in next 2 months time, and need to renew the passport (below 14 years) Do we need the Affidavit of No status at SFO consulate?

Thanks in advance.

cktechie
                    Did you get any information on this?

My situation is a bit different. The H1B visa stamped on my passport is still valid till end of 2016, but it was issued by my previous employer. I have the new Visa paperwork (I797) issued by my current employer but the passport isnt stamped yet.

Do I need to get the notarized affidavit?

Comment

Originally posted by tminusa View Post
                      Folks,

Does anyone have any information regarding requirement of Affidavit of No Status required at the SFO consulate. If I have a valid I797, would they still require this affdavit?

Thanks,
                      TM
                      exactly the same situation as that of original poster and other members. do we need to have the affidavit if i have approved i797 but visa has expired? if it is required then do i need to take photocopy of my witnesses's passports to attach in this affidavit?

Comment

passport renew

Hi,

I want to know some details. I have to renew my passport and my I797 expired Dec2017. When I was going through the process on CKGS they informed me to see the counselor in person and he will guide what to do next.

Also i have to correct my birth place on my passport any idea what is the process to do that and is it ok to do after coming to US while renewing the passport?

please reply with your expert advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X