Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues in SSN due to lengthy last name

Hi -

I am posting this as I was not able to find a similar case after reading through other threads in the site.
    I applied for an SSN on Jan 14 and still waiting for the card. This is how my name is in all my docs - passport, VISA, I20, I94:
    First name: A (7 characters)
    Last name: B C(28 characters including space)

The folks at the SSA office accepted my application for SSN (due to name match in all docs i provided) but they couldn't instantly verify it online due to my lengthy last name. So I got a letter saying they need upto 4 weeks to verify my immigration status.

Also, in the SSA database they were not able to fit my entire last name. So they split my last name and put a part of it as my middle name:
    Middle name: B (13 characters)
    Last name: C (14 characters)

I am still waiting for DHS to verify my immigration status. It has been already 2 weeks.

Now my doubts are:
    1) Will I be getting an SSN with First name A, middle name B and last name C? If so, will there be any issues later in getting a license as the name on I94 and SSN donot match?

Been stressed out a lot lately because of this. Appreciate a response.

Regards
    Vicky

There have to be SSA precedents for this kind of problem. I can't offer you a quick solution, other than to negotiate with the Social Security people, once the DHS verification has been don.e

--Ray B
    Originally posted by vickybogs View Post
    Hi -

I am posting this as I was not able to find a similar case after reading through other threads in the site.
    I applied for an SSN on Jan 14 and still waiting for the card. This is how my name is in all my docs - passport, VISA, I20, I94:

The folks at the SSA office accepted my application for SSN (due to name match in all docs i provided) but they couldn't instantly verify it online due to my lengthy last name. So I got a letter saying they need upto 4 weeks to verify my immigration status.

Also, in the SSA database they were not able to fit my entire last name. So they split my last name and put a part of it as my middle name:

I am still waiting for DHS to verify my immigration status. It has been already 2 weeks.

Now my doubts are:
    1) Will I be getting an SSN with First name A, middle name B and last name C? If so, will there be any issues later in getting a license as the name on I94 and SSN donot match?

Regards
    Vicky

Comment

Same issue

Hi Vicky , i am facing the same issue. Please let me know if you have got the SSN and how many days did it took to come. VERY URGENT.

Originally posted by vickybogs View Post
      Hi -

Now my doubts are:

Regards
      Vicky

Comment

Same issue - Please reply

Hello,

I am facing the similar issue. You would have got it resolved. Could you please help me out with this?

Thanks

Comment

Issues in SSN due to lengthy last name

Hi Vicky,

How did you resolve the issue with length last name in SSN. I am in similar situation today. Could you please let me know how to resolve this issue.

Thank You,
          Jai

Comment

Same issue

Hey,

How did you guys handle this problem? I just got a DL application denial due to mismatch between passport and SSN last name.

Comment

Same issue

hello all
              I am currently facing the same issue, Could you please update your situations and if the issue was resolved.

regards

Comment

Facing the issue with lengthy last name

Hi,

I have a lengthy last name or rather 3 last names A B C.

My passport, Visa, I-94 all have it recorded this way. SSN office couldn't accommodate the lengthy name and are asking to go for a I-94 correction. Is that a good idea ? If so what are the ways.

Can't we have the truncated last name in SSN, would that pose a problem ?

Pls advise.

Comment

Originally posted by Ananth Srinivasan View Post
                  Hi,

I have a lengthy last name or rather 3 last names A B C.

My passport, Visa, I-94 all have it recorded this way. SSN office couldn't accommodate the lengthy name and are asking to go for a I-94 correction. Is that a good idea ? If so what are the ways.

Can't we have the truncated last name in SSN, would that pose a problem ?

Pls advise.

Hi Ananth,

Iam facing same issue in how many days you got SSN .please help me

Regards,
                  Keerthi .p

Comment

Same problem: Last names are too long. :/

Hello! I just returned from the Social Security office in Cypress, TX, and I am in the same situation you described. When I got married, I kept my father's and my mother's last names (Llaverías Camilo) and combined them with "-Cuevas", my husband's. My Work Authorization card came yesterday with my whole name, but the rep at SSN office told me they cannot have it that way because of the limited number of characters they have on Last Name field, that is shorter than other agencies'. In that case, he told me my card will have "... Llaverias Camilo-Cuev" (missing two letters) and that it will cause me problems everywhere. Please, could someone tell me how to solve it and how long does it take? Thanks in advanced.

Comment

I have to express my strong opinion on your problem and the name issues in general. The SSA staff person was correct. If you continue trying to use a culturally-enhanced hyphenated name, which is basically a vanity affectation in this country, you will have problems. Open up your wallet and get a legal name change through your county court system, with your current first name (one node) a middle name of one node, and your husband's family name as your last name (one node).

--Ray B

Originally posted by VerouskaLlaverias View Post
                      Hello! I just returned from the Social Security office in Cypress, TX, and I am in the same situation you described. When I got married, I kept my father's and my mother's last names (Llaverías Camilo) and combined them with "-Cuevas", my husband's. My Work Authorization card came yesterday with my whole name, but the rep at SSN office told me they cannot have it that way because of the limited number of characters they have on Last Name field, that is shorter than other agencies'. In that case, he told me my card will have "... Llaverias Camilo-Cuev" (missing two letters) and that it will cause me problems everywhere. Please, could someone tell me how to solve it and how long does it take? Thanks in advanced.

Comment

DL denied because of mismatch in name

Originally posted by Lucas de Aguiar View Post
                        Hey,

How did you guys handle this problem? I just got a DL application denial due to mismatch between passport and SSN last name.
                        I have the same issue , my last name is lengthy , so issued ssn by shorting my name. Now DMV is not issuing me license. Please advice me on this

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone update the solution on this issue

Comment

I had faced similar issue, where last name doesn't fully fit into it. i think last name can hold 21 chars's max
                          i think there will are 2 FIELDS TO STORE THE NAME,

1) one field contains how name should be printed on ssn card ---> this can also more than 21 chars, so usually we can get the full/original name printed.
                          2) name that is stored or usually referred, this can hold upto 21 chars as per my observation. if more char's are in the last name then it will be put as '*' . (star) at the end of 21st char.

by default it prints the last name on card upto 21 char's, if the display name on the card field is not used. We can ask the SSA officer if we do not want the default (truncated) to be printed on card.

Comment

Does anyone on this thread have any insights? We are in 2022, and I just ran into this issue.

Comment

Hello, I ran into same issue in July 2022 and am battling with the SSN officer to get it corrected. I am really upset and frustrated going to SSN office multiple times. In the SSN system there is a length restriction but, there is no restriction with the immigration system? How is this possible and what kind of a system it is? As per the SSN officer this is best they can do by truncating the name. There is no other solution to this other than getting your name changed from your home country which is not possible now. As per my company corporate administrator the mismatch in the name will impact you by not identifying in the I9 form and there are chances that I might lose my job or my pay will be put on hold until this issue is resolved. You will get to know this when you E-verify you SSN in your company portal. If the system is not able to identify you, it will issue an TNC letter for correction. Then have it corrected with SSN office is the process. But in our case where there is no space it is not possible to get it corrected. I don't know what is the next step. I will try to get some help from the immigration team.....Any help is greatly appreciated. I have been battling from 3 weeks on this issue for now.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X