Canadian Permanent Residency and Working in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Permanent Residency and Working in US

I am landed immigrant of Canada, and also working in US on H1-B.

I just want to check if I can maintain my Canadian status while working in US on H1-B visa.

If I am paying taxes in US as a Canadian resident (i.e. paying dual taxes in US at a higher rate), will that time working in US count towards my eligibility to apply for Canadian Passport.

And if you know any legal advisor that has expertise in this area, please post the contact info in the reply.

I appreciate all your help.
    Thank You

Put your this question in 'Consular Processing' section, 'H L Visa' section & '485' section. Over there, so many experts/readers are there to guide you.

I think, once you are Landed Immigrant to Canada, you have to stay at least 183 days in one year in Canada to maintain it. You need to do it continuously for 3 years, otherwise, that year will be not counted for Citizenship.

Comment

Have you received any info? I'm in a similar situation. only thing is i don't pay higher tax. I wanted to know how can I maintain my canadian PR status by working in US?

Thanks.

Comment

No

Yuu have to be physically in canada 3 out of 4 years to be eligible for citizenship

Comment

Permanent residency Canada

Hi .
          I have some Q's reg PR:
          1. how long does it take to get canadian PR ?
          2.how long do you Have to stay in canada to maintain Perm.residency.?
          3. do you need a H1 visa to work in the US after you get the Canadian PR?
          4.Some leads to Canadian attorneys would help..
          Thank you all.

Comment

Canada PR status

Prior to 2002, minimum 183 days stay in Canada was needed to maintain permanent resident status.

After 2002, minimum of 730 days of stay during 5 year period is needed to maintain permanent resident status.

Canadian citizens can work in USA under TN visa under NAFTA with less complicated visa procedure. However, canadian landed immigrant but not citizen yet will require employment authorization to work in US.

If you live in Canada and commute to USA for work, that period may not be counted as eligeble period for Canada citizenship.

Comment

declaration of non residency in Canada

Hi ,

I'm a Canadian citizen in Vancouver and now I just started working in HK. I would like to know if I need to declare non-residency? If so, how and where I can file it? Can i file it online?

Appreciate if someone can help!

Thanks

Comment

If you work in USA, that period is not counted for residence purpose in Canada even though you may be commuting or have a home in Canadian border city.

Canada and US have agreement so if you pay tax to one country, you can claim tax exemption so there is double taxation.

If you live and work in Canada for a minimum of 730 days in 5 year period, you can retain you permanent residence status otherwise you lose it.

Comment

Canadian Permanent Residency and Working in US

am landed immigrant of Canada, and also working in US on H1-B.

I just want to check if I can maintain my Canadian status while working in US on H1-B visa.

If I am paying taxes in US as a Canadian resident (i.e. paying dual taxes in US at a higher rate), will that time working in US count towards my eligibility to apply for Canadian Passport.

And if you know any legal advisor that has expertise in this area, please post the contact info in the reply.

Comment

[QUOTE=Nishant]Prior to 2002, minimum 183 days stay in Canada was needed to maintain permanent resident status.

After 2002, minimum of 730 days of stay during 5 year period is needed to maintain permanent resident status.

Canadian citizens can work in USA under TN visa under NAFTA with less complicated visa procedure. However, canadian landed immigrant but not citizen yet will require employment authorization to work in US.

If you live in Canada and commute to USA for work, that period may not be counted as eligeble period for Canada citizenship.[/QUOTE]

Can someone guide me on the highlighted text. is it really true
                    Canadian site says if you commute to USA and come back daily it will count towards citizenship..

Thanks in adavance

Comment

Originally posted by Nishant
                      If you work in USA, that period is not counted for residence purpose in Canada even though you may be commuting or have a home in Canadian border city.Canada and US have agreement so if you pay tax to one country, you can claim tax exemption so there is double taxation.

If you live and work in Canada for a minimum of 730 days in 5 year period, you can retain you permanent residence status otherwise you lose it.
                      Please advise on highlighted text..
                      Is some one really means this...

I heard several times from friends if you commute daily for work from windsor to detroit your days will be counted towards citizenship... canadian website too says in a way same thing..

Please let me know
                      Thanks

Comment

It is a fact that if you live in a border city in Canada and commute to work in US, that period is neither counted towards for canadian residence nor for US green card.

Canada gives immigration to contribute to its economy. Working in US does not serve that purpose.

US residence requirement is also not met residence is maintained in Canada.
                        Last edited by Nishant; 02-27-2006, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Is it possible for me to work for a Canadian Company in USA to maintain the PR requir

Please someone let me know, if Is it possible for me to work for a Canadian Company in USA to maintain the PR requirement?

Comment

Please research further: some sites like the one below say if you return to Canada within 24-hour period e.g. if you are commuting between US and Canada daily for work then counts as 1 day toward eligibility for citizenship.

Comment

These people are not at all professionals I became citizen after 4 yrs still working

Originally posted by jeksis View Post
                              Please research further: some sites like the one below say if you return to Canada within 24-hour period e.g. if you are commuting between US and Canada daily for work then counts as 1 day toward eligibility for citizenship.
                              I traveled to USA everyday the day I landed in Canada and no problems at all for my citizenship in 2017 ( but they requested me to get the report from CBP daily border report as proof of the daily travel )

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X