Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by f1i765eadhelp View Post
    Hi smlee0727 and irene,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I recently went through the exact same ordeal. I received my EAD just recently.

I'll outline the steps I took.

1. Call the postmaster
    I called the postmaster and informed them of the situation.
    Use this website and find your postmaster https://www.usps.com/business/pcc-locator.htm
    The postmaster then directed me to the consumer affairs office. I opened up a case with the consumer affairs office and got a case number from them. Through this process I was able to prove that it was in fact an error on USPS's part.

2. Contact your local congressman.
    You should be able to contact your local congressman and they will assist you in the expediting the process. You should find this through a simple Google search. Once you find them go on their website and fill out a privacy release form or print it out and turn it in in person. This form will allow them to contact the necessary federal agencies on your behalf. Make sure you send them all the necessary documents. This will give them an idea of what's going on. Don't forget to include a cover letter when you send all the information in.

3. If the USPS is not able to locate it.
    Proceed to apply for another EAD and either pay another filing fee OR make sure you fill out a Fee Waiver Form (I-912) http://www.uscis.gov/feewaiver Make sure you read all the instructions. Include a cover letter outlining the case and your personal need for the EAD, and also how the USPS was not able to locate it; this will prove it was an error on their part. (When you apply for your new EAD make sure you include two photographs and make sure you fill out ALL the necessary boxes and signature boxes). You could also possibly apply for an expedite request but it has to me under the following criteria. http://www.uscis.gov/us-visa-and-imm...edite-criteria

Once you've done all this you'll most likely get a new card soon. I wish I could give you a definite date but I'm sorry I can't (it took me 30 days compared to the 60-90 days). It really depends on the service center your file goes to and how much work needs to be done.

With all that being said I wish you both the best for your future.
    I'm in the same boat for EAD [H4] getting lost in mail. Got letter from USPS that it was never delivered and lost at post office. I'm trying to fill the fee waiver form for the new application packet. However, I'm not sure which option I should choose for "Part 1." The options are - 1. Mean tested benefit 2. 150% below poverty line. 3. financial hardships. However, none of these options are apt for my situation. So how should I choose something that is close to my situation? Or should I leave the "Part 1." blank and attach the letter from USPS?

Please help! Thank you so much!

Comment

Hi brother,

I'm in similar situation lost opt card by USPS. May I know how did you get replacement card. Please give me reply. Thank you

Comment

Got my replacement EAD!

Originally posted by harishks76 View Post
        Hi brother,

I'm in similar situation lost opt card by USPS. May I know how did you get replacement card. Please give me reply. Thank you
        I reapplied with all the paperwork and $410 fees along with the letter from USPS that the card was indeed lost by them. This is very vital to prove the reason for applying a replacement card. Make sure to send the form for e-notification, as you will be able to keep track of the status of your case fastly. Also, when you see that "Card Production Ordered" status, do enroll in "Informed Delivery" for your name and address in the USPS website. By doing this, you will get a tracking number for the priority mail that is carrying your EAD card as soon as the shipping label is created for this item. You'll get your EAD card in 2-3 business days from the status change to "Card was mailed to me". As a precaution, I went to the PO to collect the mail in person on the day of delivery. All the best to you!

Comment

How long did the replacement card take to arrive?

Originally posted by happygolucky_27 View Post
          I reapplied with all the paperwork and $410 fees along with the letter from USPS that the card was indeed lost by them. This is very vital to prove the reason for applying a replacement card. Make sure to send the form for e-notification, as you will be able to keep track of the status of your case fastly. Also, when you see that "Card Production Ordered" status, do enroll in "Informed Delivery" for your name and address in the USPS website. By doing this, you will get a tracking number for the priority mail that is carrying your EAD card as soon as the shipping label is created for this item. You'll get your EAD card in 2-3 business days from the status change to "Card was mailed to me". As a precaution, I went to the PO to collect the mail in person on the day of delivery. All the best to you!
          Hello Brother,

I have done the exact same thing as you have mentioned. Got a letter from USPS stating that they lost the card, put all paperwork together with the filing fee. My case was received by USCIS on the 18th of September. How long did it take for you to get your replacement card from the time your case was received by USCIS? I request you to let me know. Your response would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDEX1993 View Post
            Hello Brother,

I have done the exact same thing as you have mentioned. Got a letter from USPS stating that they lost the card, put all paperwork together with the filing fee. My case was received by USCIS on the 18th of September. How long did it take for you to get your replacement card from the time your case was received by USCIS? I request you to let me know. Your response would be really appreciated. Thanks.
            Hi Brother,

In the same boat. Can I ask how you get a letter from USPS? My tracking status shows "Out for Delivery" on Nov.20 morning but then changed to "Alert - Delivery Status not updated" later that day. Never shows "delivered". The local distribution center supervisor says in phone that they cannot find my mail any more, but refuses to provide a letter... Could you please share how you got the letter? Did you request a expedition and how long did this replacement take you? Thank you so much!!!

Comment

I received my OPT STEM Extension Replacement Card following a similar procedure

I just want to update you on a slightly different approach I took in expediting my application processing at no cost and minimal paperwork. My main motive was to expedite the processing, however, as an additional benefit, I was able to save $410 as well.

In my case, I received the I-797 OPT STEM extension approval notice but my EAD card was lost in mail by USPS. Following are the steps I took to get a replacement card.

Step 1: I contacted the local USPS Customer Relations Coordinator on phone and explained them the situation. I found their local contact information on: http://about.usps.com/postal-custome...cc-locator.htm

Step 2: I contacted the local U.S. Congressman's office for the district of my residence (District 2, Nebraska in my case).

Step 3: Received a letter from USPS explaining that they possibly mis-delivered my OPT card mail. I am attaching the letter that I compiled for USPS official to sign of on. She quickly sent me an electronic copy as well as a hard copy.

Step 4: Met with U.S.Congressman's office to sign a privacy release form allowing their office to contact USCIS on my behalf. Please note that during this whole endeavor I understood that U.S.Congressman's office has private USCIS-congressional phone lines and allocated staff by USCIS to address their grievances with a much quicker turnaround time.

Step 5: After a few phone conversations with the USCIS Potomac center, the Congressman's office was asked to fax a cover letter explaining the situation, USPS letter, and I-797 approval notice. The congressman's office faxed them all and I was updated of the case status 'approval' within a week and I received the replacement card within 2 weeks.
              Attached Files

Comment

EAD card misdelivered by USPS and then found!!

[QUOTE=Yingying Zhu;457427][QUOTE=Harshvardhan Pandey;453099]I am an F1 opt student, had a job with a good company, lost it yesterday as USPS failed to deliver my EAD card and my notice of approval.

I have tried everything, visited USCIS field office, called USPS filed a case with them as well. I came across your post, kindly get back to me asap, I need your help, maybe it will help me go about this situation in the right manner.

Have contacted USPS at every possible level, filed case, even contacted them on twitter USPS Help, do just don't seem to help, What to do? It's been 20 days, I am worried.

Should I file a new EAD card? In that case, what's the procedure to do so? Do I need a new i20 again from school ? Please someone list the documents required.

Request your assistance.

Thank you,
                Harsh[/[QUOTE=Harshvardhan

Hi I am really sorry that you have to go through this. As matter of fact, I just went through a very similar situation. I will share my story.

My card was being produced on May23.
                On May 31st, the usps tracking system showed that my mail was delivered to my house at 12:01pm. However, I checked my mailbox around 12:30, there was nothing there.
                On June 1st, Called local usps office first thing in the morning, I was told that if the system showed its delivered, then it is delivered. They can't do anything. I didn't give up, I went to the usps office in person later the day to ask to speak with the post master, I was told that the post master was not in the building and they had no way to contact the carrier. They promised to talk to the carrier and found out if he remembers anything, and will call me back.
                No one called back.
                June 2nd, I went there again and asked to speak with the poster master, once again I was told that post master was not in the building. Because a carrier just called to report a broken truck and the post master was out to solve the problem (wait,they told me the carriers are not allowed to bring a cell phone with them when out for deliver). So I replied, excuse me? You told me yesterday that the carrier doesn't bring a phone with them? Did the carrier run back to the office to report the problem? They told me they only use it as emergency. I was really mad as they weren't being helpful and has being lying to me. So I told them it is a emergency now. The mail is an important immigration document from federal government, my life depends on it. Please contact the post master, I need to speak with the her right now. And I was told that they can't call her and they don't know when will she comes back. I told them that I have to speak with the post master today in person, I won't leave until I get to speak with her. 30 mins later, they told me that the post master is not back yet. So I told them, I am not leaving until I get to see her. If I don't get to speak with her today, I will come back tomorrow with my lawyer to discuss further, including my financial lost. **** *ally, 5 mins later I got a phone call from the usps post master from the office number( and i was told she was not in the building). She told me that they have found my mail, the carrier made a mistake and mis scanned on Tuesday and he looked for it and came across it this morning.Oh wow, USPS that was a serious mistake you made, and how dare you to tell me on Tuesday that if the systems showed its delivered, it's delivered. And they even told me to file a police report, because they think my mail was stolen. Apparently, it was NOT delivered.

So here is my advice.
                Fight this!
                1)Go to your local USPS office, and ask to speak with the post master. Don't call, go there in person. Be polite, but insisted. Dont believe them when they tell you the post master is not in the building, there is always a supervisor in the building! Don't leave until you get to speak with the post master in person.
                2) Ask the post master the contact the carrier right away!
                3)Tell them you will hire a lawyer.
                If you couldn't find your card, call USCIS. Most likely they will ask you to reapply and pay 380 once again. If you already have a job offer, and lost the job because USPS lost your card, hire a lawyer! The lawyer will help you to fight your right.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for sharing your experience!

[SHORT version] Mail carrier is new to the job and misdelivered letter to the nearby mailbox compartment in the same mailbox cluster. Found letter again after showing her what's a priority mail looks like. A priority mail letter has distinctive looks. We were searching aimlessly by looking at every letter without a clue. Knowing the letter's appearance really helped to locate it among hundreds of letters among dozens of mailboxes.

[LONG version] Checked mailbox within 30 mins of USPS Informed Delivery text notification, but there was no letter. Went out immediately and found the mail carrier two blocks away. Told the carrier what's happening and she also searched mailbox clusters nearby but couldn't find anything. Later of the day, she even went back to postal office to check on a machine about her GPS location when she scanned the priority mail barcode. GPS showed the location of delivery is correct. It was like the letter got wings and miraculously disappeared.
                I then put stickers in every mailbox cluster (17 in total) in my community asking people to contact me if they see the letter. Two days past, no news.
                I was really in despair, especially that I'm already 50 days past EAD start date (application took more than 110 days for approval), re-application may result in no employment within 90 days of EAD start date and will lead to cancellation of my OPT by USCIS[?].
                Then I started to look for help online and found this thread. It provided hope knowing that USPS may be able to recover the lost letter. I didn't know or wasn't sure going to postal office will help. I was putting all my bets on the mail carrier and kept staying in my living room watching out for the mail carrier. The mail carrier was also very sorry about my experience and she kept looking for my letter but no success.
                I then printed out the USPS tracking page and USCIS case status, went to the post office, explained my situation to the employee, and one employee started to search in the USPS warehouse for several minutes, then she reported to her supervisor, who then reported to a higher supervisor (postmaster I think). They apologized and told me that the carrier is a new employee and said will call me back later of the day. I hesitated but left the post office feeling there's no reason to stay. But I did left with them my printed tracking page which also has my name and contact information.
                I recalled that the mail carrier and I were searching for my letter by looking at almost every piece of letter in the mailboxes in my neighborhood, I googled what does a priority mail letter look like and showed it to her when she came to my neighborhood later that day. While she's sorting mail over the big mailbox cluster in front of my house, I wasn't expecting anything. Then suddenly she sorted out a letter that has two red bars on the front, and she walked towards my house with the letter in hand. I ran out with my arms spreaded and shouted with joy and hugged her thrice !!! The letter was put in the right cluster but wrong mailbox compartment!
                It's worth noting that the postmaster did come later that day and started searching over the big mailbox cluster in front of my house. I saw him and went up to tell him the letter was recovered. Obviously the mail carrier didn't inform the postmaster the letter was found.

Attached is what a priority mail from USCIS looks like.
                Good luck everyone!!
                Attached Files

Comment

I very appreciate this post. I just experienced the similar situation and talked to local USPS office directly after reading the post. Please ask local USPS office to find the mail before reapplying and waiting for around 60 days. The carrier often made stupid mistakes. And there is chance that the missing mail could be found.

My case was that the carrier misdelivered the card to the mailbox of other residents in my apartment. And the doorman in my apartment told to me that similar things happened very frequently!!!

I stayed local USPS office for around five hours. The supervisor finally agreed to come to the apartment and checked all mailbox.The only way I could contact with the supervisor is to use the office phone on local USPS office. So please do not leave the local USPS office until someone agrees to open mailbox in the department for you.

Do not believe any words the carrier said. Obviously, the carrier would say she/he delivered the card. Please ask USPS to do everything to find the card instead of reapplying and waiting for another 60 days. No need to call the USPS customer service and fill the missing mail case. The mail is not really missing unless the USPS tried hard to find it. USPS has responsiblites to find the missing mail. Just keep constantly talking to the local USPS officers and explaining how serious the situations were.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X