Notice of Approval and EAD card lost by USPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice of Approval and EAD card lost by USPS

Hi, I am an international student with F-1 visa status who just graduated about a month ago in May.

I filed my original application (I-765) on March 24, 2014 and received the receipt after two days stating that my case has been received by the office and is in process. Ever since then, I checked on my case status on USCIS website quite diligently and found out that my case was approved on June 2, 2014. Few days later when I was checking my case status online, I saw that my EAD card was sent out via USPS and that it should be delivered by June 9.

However, neither the Notice of Approval nor the EAD card were ever delivered in the mail. I checked the tracking number that was provided by USCIS and it showed that the EAD card was delivered on Saturday, June 7 around 3 in the afternoon. I (as well as my family and friends) have been living in the same neighborhood for almost 8 years now and I have never seen a postman come around to deliver mails that late on Saturdays (they usually come around 9-10 in the morning). Another suspicious fact I found out was that the mail arrived at the local postal office around 10am on June 7 while the postman left the post office at 9am on the same day. So something was and still remains very fishy. I contacted USPS as well as the local postal office and no one has either made an effort to find it or took responsibility for it. Everyone at the USPS has been insisting that 'the mail has been delivered if the record shows that it was' and there is nothing that they can do about it. Even the postman did not say anything other than that he does not remember anything.

So I contacted USCIS and spoke to one of the representatives and he told me that I would need to apply for a replacement card. In order to apply for the replacement card, the representative explained that I would have to send in everything from my original application plus a letter from the local USPS and a copy of the Notice of Approval. Well, at this point I have neither one of them. As I have previously mentioned, the Notice of Approval never came in the mail, so when I was speaking to the USCIS representative I explained the situation and he said that he would send it out again but he also added that it could take about 2-3 weeks (IF it ever gets delivered). Also, I have been continuously contacting the local USPS to ask for the letter and they just keep saying that the manager will get in touch with me which has not happened so far.

I guess one good(?) thing is that I do not have a job offer yet, so unlike many other people who had similar problems, I do not have a specific date that I absolutely need to receive this card (at least for now). However, that does not mean that I am going to drag this problem for weeks and months. I am in desperate need of help and advice to fix and get this process going, and I would truly appreciate if you could share your experience or knowledge about this kind of situation.

Thank you for reading this rather long thread and I look forward to hearing from anyone with a similar experience or knows anything about what to do in this kind of situation.

I meet the same problem. Have you already solved it?

Comment

Hi smlee0727 and irene,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I recently went through the exact same ordeal. I received my EAD just recently.

I'll outline the steps I took.

1. Call the postmaster
      I called the postmaster and informed them of the situation.
      Use this website and find your postmaster https://www.usps.com/business/pcc-locator.htm
      The postmaster then directed me to the consumer affairs office. I opened up a case with the consumer affairs office and got a case number from them. Through this process I was able to prove that it was in fact an error on USPS's part.

2. Contact your local congressman.
      You should be able to contact your local congressman and they will assist you in the expediting the process. You should find this through a simple Google search. Once you find them go on their website and fill out a privacy release form or print it out and turn it in in person. This form will allow them to contact the necessary federal agencies on your behalf. Make sure you send them all the necessary documents. This will give them an idea of what's going on. Don't forget to include a cover letter when you send all the information in.

3. If the USPS is not able to locate it.
      Proceed to apply for another EAD and either pay another filing fee OR make sure you fill out a Fee Waiver Form (I-912) http://www.uscis.gov/feewaiver Make sure you read all the instructions. Include a cover letter outlining the case and your personal need for the EAD, and also how the USPS was not able to locate it; this will prove it was an error on their part. (When you apply for your new EAD make sure you include two photographs and make sure you fill out ALL the necessary boxes and signature boxes). You could also possibly apply for an expedite request but it has to me under the following criteria. http://www.uscis.gov/us-visa-and-imm...edite-criteria

Once you've done all this you'll most likely get a new card soon. I wish I could give you a definite date but I'm sorry I can't (it took me 30 days compared to the 60-90 days). It really depends on the service center your file goes to and how much work needs to be done.

With all that being said I wish you both the best for your future.

Comment

Please help I am in same situation.

Hi,

Could you please tell me did filled Fee Waiver Form or paid application fee again. And also did you tried to contact local congressman?
        Did you wait for get your application fee to waive off or simple put case number in you cover letter and than later got your money?
        Please let me know when you see my message.I really need help in such scenario.

Originally posted by f1i765eadhelp View Post
        Hi smlee0727 and irene,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I recently went through the exact same ordeal. I received my EAD just recently.

I'll outline the steps I took.

1. Call the postmaster
        I called the postmaster and informed them of the situation.
        Use this website and find your postmaster https://www.usps.com/business/pcc-locator.htm
        The postmaster then directed me to the consumer affairs office. I opened up a case with the consumer affairs office and got a case number from them. Through this process I was able to prove that it was in fact an error on USPS's part.

2. Contact your local congressman.
        You should be able to contact your local congressman and they will assist you in the expediting the process. You should find this through a simple Google search. Once you find them go on their website and fill out a privacy release form or print it out and turn it in in person. This form will allow them to contact the necessary federal agencies on your behalf. Make sure you send them all the necessary documents. This will give them an idea of what's going on. Don't forget to include a cover letter when you send all the information in.

3. If the USPS is not able to locate it.
        Proceed to apply for another EAD and either pay another filing fee OR make sure you fill out a Fee Waiver Form (I-912) http://www.uscis.gov/feewaiver Make sure you read all the instructions. Include a cover letter outlining the case and your personal need for the EAD, and also how the USPS was not able to locate it; this will prove it was an error on their part. (When you apply for your new EAD make sure you include two photographs and make sure you fill out ALL the necessary boxes and signature boxes). You could also possibly apply for an expedite request but it has to me under the following criteria. http://www.uscis.gov/us-visa-and-imm...edite-criteria

Once you've done all this you'll most likely get a new card soon. I wish I could give you a definite date but I'm sorry I can't (it took me 30 days compared to the 60-90 days). It really depends on the service center your file goes to and how much work needs to be done.

With all that being said I wish you both the best for your future.

Comment

Originally posted by Needhelp!! View Post
          Hi,

Could you please tell me did filled Fee Waiver Form or paid application fee again. And also did you tried to contact local congressman?
          Did you wait for get your application fee to waive off or simple put case number in you cover letter and than later got your money?
          Please let me know when you see my message.I really need help in such scenario.
          Does anyone have an update on this? I am going through the same thing and wondering what the best steps to take are. My card is 30 days late next week, USPS have admitted they lost it on the phone but I will request a letter.
          I have put together a new application packet, timeline for what went wrong, will contact my congressman. My husband lost his job since we filed and I really need to work since our savings are running out (hopefully this meets the financial hardship criterion although i don't understand why we should pay again for this error). Anyway, any further advice or experience would be great. And thanks so much for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by ljd2015 View Post
            Does anyone have an update on this? I am going through the same thing and wondering what the best steps to take are. My card is 30 days late next week, USPS have admitted they lost it on the phone but I will request a letter.
            I have put together a new application packet, timeline for what went wrong, will contact my congressman. My husband lost his job since we filed and I really need to work since our savings are running out (hopefully this meets the financial hardship criterion although i don't understand why we should pay again for this error). Anyway, any further advice or experience would be great. And thanks so much for sharing
            Make an Infopass apointment at a nearby USCIS field office. Bring your passport (if expired, then also bring some other ID as well) and your EAD approval notice. They will give you an Interim EAD or place an EAD stamp in your passport. There will not be any fee.

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
              Make an Infopass apointment at a nearby USCIS field office. Bring your passport (if expired, then also bring some other ID as well) and your EAD approval notice. They will give you an Interim EAD or place an EAD stamp in your passport. There will not be any fee.
              Just wanted to update in case anyone is in the same position. The USCIS officer on the phone told me to 'take it up with USPS' since USPS lost the card, but obviously USPS don't issue EAD/AP so that's not exactly helpful. She denied that they can reissue the EAD/AP without a new application or waive the fee. She also told me that some field offices can grant same-day advance parole but couldn't tell me which ones, so I'm not sure if the office I am visiting can do that. She also told me that they no longer issue interim EAD cards. I can't believe that this is the situation, but I suppose I can pray that they will help me in the field office and apply for the fee to waived. If anyone had success enlisted the help of their congressman please let me know as I am going to try that route as well.

Comment

EAD lost by USPS

Hello ljd2015

I am also in a same situation, My EAD was approved and dispatched, According to the postal service (USPS),it was delivered to me on the third day by priority mail 26th June 2015), But i never got it, All
                attempts to track it have failed.
                Have you visited local USCIS office ? will they reissue the card ..pls share your status.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
                Kitty

Comment

Lost EAD/International Travel without EAD - One solution that worked

Originally posted by kitty_001 View Post
                  Hello ljd2015

I am also in a same situation, My EAD was approved and dispatched, According to the postal service (USPS),it was delivered to me on the third day by priority mail 26th June 2015), But i never got it, All
                  Have you visited local USCIS office ? will they reissue the card ..pls share your status.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
                  Kitty
                  I have seen several people post here and on other forums about EADs lost by USPS. I recently dealt with this situation and wanted to share my experience and a solution that worked for me.

My OPT application was approved on May 27, 2015 and my card was sent to me via USPS 2-day priority mail for delivery on June 4, 2015. While USPS and USCIS both updated their status on June 4th to "Delivered" the card was not delivered to me. My employment start date is July 13, 2015. An additional complication that I had to deal with was that I was scheduled to travel out of the US on June 15, 2015 to attend to an urgent personal matter. I took the following steps:

1. I visited my local USPS post office on June 6, 2015 to inquire about the status of my package. They told me that the package had been delivered and no one had returned it yet, so there was nothing they could do. I met with the supervisor of that post office and discussed the situation with him. He agreed to come down to my building and re-check the mailboxes in my building to make sure the package had not been delivered to the wrong mailbox. The package was not found.

2. Next, I visited the local USCIS office (without an InfoPass appointment). I explained the situation to the guard on duty and he was kind enough to ask an officer to come out and meet me. The USCIS officer gave me information that contradicted what is on the USCIS website. Their website clearly says that once you have graduated from your program of study AND an EAD application has been approved, re-entry into the US is only possible by carrying the card along with a valid F-1 visa and a travel-endorsed I-20. The officer told me that the EAD is not required for re-entry as long as I have my visa and I-20. They refused to give me anything in writing or issue an interim EAD.

3. Next, I scheduled a call with my firm's HR and immigration attorney. The attorney recommended that I submit a new application for a Replacement EAD asap using form I-765. According to the attorney, it is possible to start your employment if you have the original I-797 Receipt Notice for the approved EAD/OPT application, the original I-797 Notice of Approval and the I-797 Receipt Notice for the replacement EAD/OPT application. The USCIS handbook also states the same about replacement EADs. http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/f...horization.pdf

4. I mailed in my new application with a covering letter explaining the situation, notarized true copies of my first Notice of Approval and Receipt Notice, and all other required supporting documents on June 10, 2015 by FedEx next day delivery. I received an email and SMS confirmation from USCIS on June 15, 2015 that my application had been accepted on June 12, 2015 and that my new I-797 Receipt Notice had been mailed to me.

5. Because I was traveling out of the country, I had put in a relative's address as my mailing address in the new EAD/OPT I-765 application. They received my new Receipt Notice on June 23, 2015 and mailed it to me.

6. At the point of re-entry (Newark on July 9, 2015), I presented my valid F-1 visa, my I-20 with a travel endorsement less than 6 months old, my Receipt Notice and Notice of Approval for my first EAD/OPT application, my Receipt Notice for the new EAD/OPT application and my employment offer letter clearly stating my start date, my role and my title. The officer asked me when I graduated, looked at my visa and my I-20, my old approval notice and stamped my passport for entry. There were no further questions except a little small talk.

Losing my EAD card was a stressful situation, especially given my travel plans. I hope this helps anyone in a similar situation.

Comment

Hello ljd2015

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
                    Kitty

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
                    Kitty[/QUOTE]

My situation is the same. I received my I-797 EAD Card approval notice on June 15th. Then I checked my case status on USCIS website to get USPS tracking number. When I searched the deliver status, USPS said my EAD card has been delivered on June 19th. But I never received. It is so wired that the approval letter can be received but not the EAD card. The addresses are absolutely the same.

Then I went to the local USPS office to check the mail status. They said since the mail has been delivered, that means it should be in my mail box thus it would not be re-delived to the sender. Then I got the man who sends mails everyday to my apartment and asked him to help me check other mail boxes to see if he delivered my mail into wrong mail box. Unfortunately, nothing was found. I also made an appointment with USCIS officer using InforPass, but the only available date is July 31st.

I then asked university advisor for help and he said he met several students have the same situations. And he said usually the only thing we should do is to re-apply and paid another 380 dollars. He also said talking to USCIS officers is meaningless mostly since they will tell you the same thing"re-apply please".

I made several calls to USCIS and every time they said "I will transfer you to higher-level officers to help you". Then the call transferred to the auto system, which can record your phone number and your name. The system then assigned me a call-back automatically, but the waiting time is always more than an hour. After I told them the whole story, they said I have to re-apply.

I think the only thing we could do is to re-apply. All other suggestions may be helpful but may also delay your application procedures.

Good luck to all students who are in the same situation.

Comment

Finally I found My EAD Card

Dear all,

If you have the same situation with me, please read my story. I received my approval letter of EAD Card and then I checked USPS website to track my EAD card. It said the has been delivered, but I never received it in my mail box. Yesterday I just found it in the place where all packages are delivered in my apartment. In my apartment, letters and packages are delivered to two different places. Usually, letters are not supposed to be delivered to packages room, but mine was just delivered there. So if you also live in an apartment like mine, try to ask your manager if there is some letter delivered to the office that keep packages, such as packages from Amazon, Sephora and so on. Look for your letter very carefully. Maybe your primary mail is hiding somewhere among these packages.

Best wishes,

Comment

Originally posted by Qiudi Du View Post

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
                        Kitty
                        My situation is the same. I received my I-797 EAD Card approval notice on June 15th. Then I checked my case status on USCIS website to get USPS tracking number. When I searched the deliver status, USPS said my EAD card has been delivered on June 19th. But I never received. It is so wired that the approval letter can be received but not the EAD card. The addresses are absolutely the same.

Then I went to the local USPS office to check the mail status. They said since the mail has been delivered, that means it should be in my mail box thus it would not be re-delived to the sender. Then I got the man who sends mails everyday to my apartment and asked him to help me check other mail boxes to see if he delivered my mail into wrong mail box. Unfortunately, nothing was found. I also made an appointment with USCIS officer using InforPass, but the only available date is July 31st.

I then asked university advisor for help and he said he met several students have the same situations. And he said usually the only thing we should do is to re-apply and paid another 380 dollars. He also said talking to USCIS officers is meaningless mostly since they will tell you the same thing"re-apply please".

I made several calls to USCIS and every time they said "I will transfer you to higher-level officers to help you". Then the call transferred to the auto system, which can record your phone number and your name. The system then assigned me a call-back automatically, but the waiting time is always more than an hour. After I told them the whole story, they said I have to re-apply.

I think the only thing we could do is to re-apply. All other suggestions may be helpful but may also delay your application procedures.

Good luck to all students who are in the same situation.[/QUOTE]
                        ============================================================ ===========================================

Hello Dear,

Have you re applied for replacement of EAD? what is the status now.??..I have re-applied on July 8th and documents have been submitted on 10th ,completed biometric on 27th July but still my status showing "My case was received". how the replacement process will go and how many days will take for approval after biometric.

Please let me know if any one has experience with replacement of EAD.

Regards,
                        Kitty

Comment

Good luck to all students who are in the same situation.
                          ============================================================ ===========================================

Hello Dear,

Have you re applied for replacement of EAD? what is the status now.??..I have re-applied on July 8th and documents have been submitted on 10th ,completed biometric on 27th July but still my status showing "My case was received". how the replacement process will go and how many days will take for approval after biometric.

Please let me know if any one has experience with replacement of EAD.

Regards,
                          Kitty[/QUOTE]

Why cant USCIS send official docs via overnight and signature service options (USPS or FedEx or UPS)?. Anyways they collect huge amount of money as part of FEE..

Comment

USPS lost my EAD and Notice of Approval . I lost my job. What to do? Help

I am an F1 opt student, had a job with a good company, lost it yesterday as USPS failed to deliver my EAD card and my notice of approval.

I have tried everything, visited USCIS field office, called USPS filed a case with them as well. I came across your post, kindly get back to me asap, I need your help, maybe it will help me go about this situation in the right manner.

Have contacted USPS at every possible level, filed case, even contacted them on twitter USPS Help, do just don't seem to help, What to do? It's been 20 days, I am worried.

Should I file a new EAD card? In that case, what's the procedure to do so? Do I need a new i20 again from school ? Please someone list the documents required.

Request your assistance.

Thank you,
                            Harsh

Comment

[QUOTE=Harshvardhan Pandey;453099]I am an F1 opt student, had a job with a good company, lost it yesterday as USPS failed to deliver my EAD card and my notice of approval.

I have tried everything, visited USCIS field office, called USPS filed a case with them as well. I came across your post, kindly get back to me asap, I need your help, maybe it will help me go about this situation in the right manner.

Have contacted USPS at every possible level, filed case, even contacted them on twitter USPS Help, do just don't seem to help, What to do? It's been 20 days, I am worried.

Should I file a new EAD card? In that case, what's the procedure to do so? Do I need a new i20 again from school ? Please someone list the documents required.

Request your assistance.

Thank you,
                              Harsh[/[QUOTE=Harshvardhan

Hi I am really sorry that you have to go through this. As matter of fact, I just went through a very similar situation. I will share my story.

My card was being produced on May23.
                              On May 31st, the usps tracking system showed that my mail was delivered to my house at 12:01pm. However, I checked my mailbox around 12:30, there was nothing there.
                              On June 1st, Called local usps office first thing in the morning, I was told that if the system showed its delivered, then it is delivered. They can't do anything. I didn't give up, I went to the usps office in person later the day to ask to speak with the post master, I was told that the post master was not in the building and they had no way to contact the carrier. They promised to talk to the carrier and found out if he remembers anything, and will call me back.
                              No one called back.
                              June 2nd, I went there again and asked to speak with the poster master, once again I was told that post master was not in the building. Because a carrier just called to report a broken truck and the post master was out to solve the problem (wait,they told me the carriers are not allowed to bring a cell phone with them when out for deliver). So I replied, excuse me? You told me yesterday that the carrier doesn't bring a phone with them? Did the carrier run back to the office to report the problem? They told me they only use it as emergency. I was really mad as they weren't being helpful and has being lying to me. So I told them it is a emergency now. The mail is an important immigration document from federal government, my life depends on it. Please contact the post master, I need to speak with the her right now. And I was told that they can't call her and they don't know when will she comes back. I told them that I have to speak with the post master today in person, I won't leave until I get to speak with her. 30 mins later, they told me that the post master is not back yet. So I told them, I am not leaving until I get to see her. If I don't get to speak with her today, I will come back tomorrow with my lawyer to discuss further, including my financial lost. **** *ally, 5 mins later I got a phone call from the usps post master from the office number( and i was told she was not in the building). She told me that they have found my mail, the carrier made a mistake and mis scanned on Tuesday and he looked for it and came across it this morning.Oh wow, USPS that was a serious mistake you made, and how dare you to tell me on Tuesday that if the systems showed its delivered, it's delivered. And they even told me to file a police report, because they think my mail was stolen. Apparently, it was NOT delivered.

So here is my advice.
                              Fight this!
                              1)Go to your local USPS office, and ask to speak with the post master. Don't call, go there in person. Be polite, but insisted. Dont believe them when they tell you the post master is not in the building, there is always a supervisor in the building! Don't leave until you get to speak with the post master in person.
                              2) Ask the post master the contact the carrier right away!
                              3)Tell them you will hire a lawyer.
                              If you couldn't find your card, call USCIS. Most likely they will ask you to reapply and pay 380 once again. If you already have a job offer, and lost the job because USPS lost your card, hire a lawyer! The lawyer will help you to fight your right.

Good luck!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X