Change of Status H4 - F1 and semester break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of Status H4 - F1 and semester break

I am currently on H4 visa(summer), and I want to take a break for fall trimester. I did applied for the change of status to F1 in month of april and I still have not received any confirmation letter for my F1 status(expecting it by end of august). Since I am currently on H4, I just filled a trimester break form on my current H4 status.

But I recently was told by a friend that I should have waited till last date of registration(29 august) for my F1 status to arrive and by that time if I don't get my status I can go for break. So according to her, when I have registered myself for break during registration period on H4 and at the same time , if my F1 arrives, there could be a problem of me being "out of status" as registrations are still open.

Now I dont know what to do here? Whether to cancel my registration for trimester break or not? Also, what if I wait till the last date of registration and still dont get my F1, would my Uni will let me take break on my last day of registration, as it takes 2 weeks to process trimester Break.

Please help me with this. Seems like a very tricky situation here.

hi

Hi, I am sorry this is not to answer your question but I have also applied for a change of status from b2 to f1(on May 12th) and am waiting for the decision.My school starts on August 13th. You have stated that you filed your applicaton in April and expecting the decision by the end of August. Does it really take that long? In that case it would take much longer for my case to get the decision. Is it?

Comment

Originally posted by mahip View Post
      I am currently on H4 visa(summer), and I want to take a break for fall trimester. I did applied for the change of status to F1 in month of april and I still have not received any confirmation letter for my F1 status(expecting it by end of august). Since I am currently on H4, I just filled a trimester break form on my current H4 status.

But I recently was told by a friend that I should have waited till last date of registration(29 august) for my F1 status to arrive and by that time if I don't get my status I can go for break. So according to her, when I have registered myself for break during registration period on H4 and at the same time , if my F1 arrives, there could be a problem of me being "out of status" as registrations are still open.

Now I dont know what to do here? Whether to cancel my registration for trimester break or not? Also, what if I wait till the last date of registration and still dont get my F1, would my Uni will let me take break on my last day of registration, as it takes 2 weeks to process trimester Break.

Please help me with this. Seems like a very tricky situation here.
      Hi,
      Can you please let me know what happened in you case? Did you took the break or have you continued your course work? I am also n the same situation. I finished three semesters on H4. I applied for COS from h4 to f1 in my second semester (summer). I am still waiting for the f1 change (4 months and waiting)...

Thanks.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X