Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel on OCI Card on Expired Passport for Minor US Citizen

Hi,

Has anyone traveled recently with their kid (US Citizen + OCI Holder) on a renewed US passport with the OCI on old passport. We plan on going to India end of the month and my daughter's US passport will expire in a couple of months. I can get the passport renewed through expedited service but the OCI renewal may take much longer if I start now.

1. Has anyone traveled recently with a child whose OCI stamp is on expired passport and they let you travel if you take old/new passport and OCI booklet?

2. Or should we take a tourist visa for her and reapply for OCI renewal when we're back.

Appreciate the help and guidance on this.

Thanks,
    Sri

Travel on OCI card on expired passport for minor US citizen

I travelled with my two minor children in August 2014 to Mumbai with new passports while the U stamp was in their old passports. I carried both the old and new passports as well as OCI card, and there was no problem. Just relating my experience from 7 months ago.
    JP

Comment

Oci and the vfs- what a shambles

Having problems because we renewed our 9 year old's passport. Travelling to India during the summer holidays in July. Asking the vfs ( to whom visas and PCI have been outsourced in UK) on the phone we were told that since there was no time for an Oci to come through we were to apply for a visitors visa. So going down to Edinburgh today with all documents ready, were told that since he already has an oci, which is a type of visa, we can't apply for a visitors visa, so they had us submit an oci application form and then told us to also produce a letter that they will keep until needed at the beginning of July stating that since we haven't received the oci yet, to please grant him a visa. When writing the letter was again told that we should in essence "create" an emergency situation to allow the consulate to grant us an emergency visa in July and that if we just said we are going for tourism we wouldn't get this.

We've done this much to my dislike. I find the whole thing rather dodgy!
      worrier that I am I know I won't sleep easy until immigration gets sorted in Delhi.

Anybody with similar experiences?

Comment

Hi any update on this situation for 2015? We are travelling in 2 days and just saw this requirement. I am headed to the consulate tomorrow for my 10 year old daughter whose passport was just renewed. Any recent experience/suggestions would be appreciated. I have read most of the old posts from 2012-2014 Thanks

Comment

provide update please

Originally posted by nhegde View Post
          Hi any update on this situation for 2015? We are travelling in 2 days and just saw this requirement. I am headed to the consulate tomorrow for my 10 year old daughter whose passport was just renewed. Any recent experience/suggestions would be appreciated. I have read most of the old posts from 2012-2014 Thanks
          Hi,

Can you please provide an update on what happened? Did you travel with new passport and old visa? I am in a similar situation and travelling in 4 days time. My kid travelled in 2013 with new passport and old visa and didn't have any issues. So wondering if it would be a problem now.

Thanks

Comment

Minor child - new US passport and OCI on expired US passport. Travel in few days

Originally posted by gmma View Post
            Hi,

Can you please provide an update on what happened? Did you travel with new passport and old visa? I am in a similar situation and travelling in 4 days time. My kid travelled in 2013 with new passport and old visa and didn't have any issues. So wondering if it would be a problem now.

Thanks
            Hello,
            I am in similar situation. 7 year old child has OCI on expired US passport. Have new US passport, but had no idea that OCI has to be reissued because this is some newer rule. Few others with similar situation had travelled to India without any problem in 2014. But do not know how the Indian immigration officers deal with this situation in recent times.
            Please let me know what happened at India Immigration entry ?

Comment

Travel on OCI Card on soon to expire Passport for Minor US Citizen

Originally posted by sr79 View Post
              Hi,

Has anyone traveled recently with their kid (US Citizen + OCI Holder) on a renewed US passport with the OCI on old passport. We plan on going to India end of the month and my daughter's US passport will expire in a couple of months. I can get the passport renewed through expedited service but the OCI renewal may take much longer if I start now.

1. Has anyone traveled recently with a child whose OCI stamp is on expired passport and they let you travel if you take old/new passport and OCI booklet?

2. Or should we take a tourist visa for her and reapply for OCI renewal when we're back.

Thanks,
              Sri
              Sri, My daughter has a US Passport which is going to expire in May 2016. But I will be traveling to India in Jan and returning back in March 2016. As I don't have time to get new OCI, am not sure if i can travel to India with the existing US passport and OCI Card. Can you please let me know what happened to your situation and what action you did? Did you see any issue with my case?

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
              Gnan

Comment

Travel on OCI Card on soon to expire Passport for Minor US Citizen

Originally posted by sr79 View Post
                Hi,

Thanks,
                Sri
                Sri

I am also in the same situation where I am travelling to India in Jan 2016 and returning back in March 2016. My daughter US passport is expiring on May 2016 and I dont have time to renew OCI Card so am trying to avoid renewing her US Passport. Do you see any issue in here?
                What was the outcome of your case? Did you travel to India with no issues?

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
                Gnan

Comment

No problems with OCI stamped in old passport + New passport for person under age 21

Originally posted by gnan_m View Post
                  Sri

I am also in the same situation where I am travelling to India in Jan 2016 and returning back in March 2016. My daughter US passport is expiring on May 2016 and I dont have time to renew OCI Card so am trying to avoid renewing her US Passport. Do you see any issue in here?
                  What was the outcome of your case? Did you travel to India with no issues?

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
                  Gnan
                  My daughter, 19, cleared Indian Immigration using her U-visa on an old passport, new passport and her OCI card on June 16, 2016 without any problem. Before traveling to India, I had called the Immigration Office in Mumbai and they told me it would not be a problem. PLEASE NOTE: Do not send them an email; their reply would be that the person must transfer the U-visa to the new passport (they cannot officially say in writing what they can tell you over the phone).

There was absolutely no issue at the Mumbai airport. Just as an FYI, my friends traveled with their children in the same situation in December'15 with no issues (in fact, they did not even know about the "newer" rule of transferring visa to new passport until the person reaches the age of 21.

Comment

Originally posted by rgsoni View Post
                    My daughter, 19, cleared Indian Immigration using her U-visa on an old passport, new passport and her OCI card on June 16, 2016 without any problem. Before traveling to India, I had called the Immigration Office in Mumbai and they told me it would not be a problem. PLEASE NOTE: Do not send them an email; their reply would be that the person must transfer the U-visa to the new passport (they cannot officially say in writing what they can tell you over the phone).

There was absolutely no issue at the Mumbai airport. Just as an FYI, my friends traveled with their children in the same situation in December'15 with no issues (in fact, they did not even know about the "newer" rule of transferring visa to new passport until the person reaches the age of 21.
                    Thanks

I don't know what is U visa. My kids, 20 and 17, have PIO card that is expiring in June 2017. I'm not applying for conversion just yet. Reading several posts here, I want them to use PIO card and old passport for which it was issued for their travel in December 2016.

Will there be a problem?

What's the contact number of immigration office in Mumbai?

Comment

Can't rely on phone conversation

Originally posted by rgsoni View Post

As per this website (https://www.in.ckgs.us/oci/oci-categories.shtml), it is mandatory for people <20 years old and >50 years old who renew their passports to get their OCI reissued. I would not want to risk traveling 9,000 miles based on verbal information from anyone.

Also, the Consulate General of India, Washington, DC has officially posted this travel advisory:

It’s 2021, and it’s time to make some changes. From now on, Indianembassy.org will run under a new name: UKMoney.net. You will find the latest news and honest online broker reviews. Go to the UKMoney.net homepage.  

They have got us chained, guys!

Jay
                      Last edited by jvnanavaty; 06-29-2016, 12:05 PM. Reason: missed a comma; more reliable sources of info found

Comment

While returning from India last week I asked both Qatar airways and Hyderabad Immigration about renewing OCI card with new passport for minors and both told me that if you have U visa which is valid for lifelong, then you can travel with old passport containing U visa and corresponding OCI card along with new passport. They also said it would be convenient to apply for OCI renewal as it would eliminate the burden of carrying both passports along with OCI card.

Comment

How old are the minor children's OCI cards and the pictures on them?

I am in the same boat and I am curious as to how drastic are the differences between the OCI card pictures and the current passport pictures of your child(ren)? More objectively speaking, how many years ago were the children's (your children and your friend's children as well) OCI cards issued? Any recent travel (after 2014) without getting OCI reissued?
                          Last edited by ProNRI; 08-09-2016, 09:24 PM. Reason: clarity and grammar

Comment

Originally posted by ProNRI View Post
                            Any recent travel (after 2014) without getting OCI reissued?
                            I am well over 21. I have OCI stamp (U Visa) on my expired US passport. I recently (Nov 2017) traveled from Hyderabad-Jakarta and back.

While leaving HYD, the immigration officer asked me for OCI stamp in my new US passport. I showed him the stamp in my old US PP. He wasn't sure if he could accept it and consulted his coworker. The coworker said it is OK. So he allowed me to leave India.

On my return to HYD, I just handed over my new US PP and my OCI booklet. No questions asked.

I am thinking of getting a new OCI stamp in my new US PP.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                            X