Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips to Help You Pack for a Trip

1. Security and Keeping Details Safe

Scan your passport, passport photos and paper tickets (if not the e type) in. Store this (in an email for e.g.) in your web based email account. You can also store the details of your emergency 'lost card' telephone numbers in your web based email account so you know who to contact if your credit card or ATM card is lost or stolen. This way, even if you lose everything, you have immediate access your all important information. You can even email the details page of your passport to the embassy or consulate when applying for a new one. (Tip from a member)

Also consider writing your home and destination address (and mobile number if you have one) on a self-adhesive sticky label to stick INSIDE your luggage in a visible place. If your luggage is lost and the baggage label has come off, at least the airline can still figure out whose luggage it is. (Tip from a member)
    2. Split up your valuables

Split up your bank cards, cash, travellers' cheques and credit cards as much as possible in different pockets, your bags and wallet when packing. In case you do get robbed, at least you won't be strapped for cash (unless you have all your bags AND your wallet stolen of course!).
    3. Nalgene/Small Bottles

Use nalgene/small bottles to pack toiletries and other small items. There are several sturdy and (very nearly) waterproof ones, with clear/see through ones being preferable (easier for security purposes post August 2006). You can also use small bottles to repack shampoo or lotions so that you don't have to always carry a big bottle with you. This is especially useful if you normally take these items in your carry-on luggage, which as of early 2007 is much more restricted than before.
    4. Backpack Tips

When you are packing things into a backpack, place the lighter items at the bottom and the heavier ones on top. Your bag will feel lighter this way as the pack rests on your lower back. It is also smart to place the things you use the most on top. Dirty clothes are perfect to pack at the bottom of a backpack. If you are still trying to decide on the right backpack, have a look at Choosing the right Backpack on our Travel Unravelled blog.
    5. Plastic Bags

It is always handy to have a few plastic bags around certain items, especially toiletries. Not only does it counter any leaking, the bags can also come in useful to keep dirty clothes in, as garbage bags or even as a makeshift umbrella. Ziplock or other airtight plastic bags are the best.
    6. Pack in Plastic

Pack everything in clear plastic bags (preferably zip lock), divided into items e.g. underwear, t-shirts, shorts etc. before packing in your suitcase or backpack. One plastic bag for each type of clothing. This is extremely useful in various ways. When you unpack your bag you just take out a series of bags and you can see immediately what you want. So an overnight stay somewhere just means taking 1 item out of a bag - no rummaging!! In addition, if you have to unpack at customs etc, instead of having to disgorge all your clothing etc out in front of everybody, you can calmly take maybe 5/6 bags out, the contents of which can be clearly seen by the officials. To repack then is also dead easy. Just be sure not to leave your plastic bags lying around if you are travelling in nature! (Tip from a member)
    7. Clothes

Pack only what you know you will use and if you are travelling for more than three weeks, plan to wash on the road. You can cut back on the number of clothes items by packing multi-purpose clothing, for example items that can both be worn during the day and as sleepwear.
    8. Split up clothes when travelling with others

When you are flying somewhere and especially if you have a few stopovers, divide the clothes between different suitcases/backpacks/bags etc. If one persons luggage doesn't arrive at the destination, they'll still have clean clothes available. Airlines generally don't compensate lost luggage for the first 24-48 hours so this will save you money if it happens to you. (Tip from a member)
    9. Separate Beach Bag

When packing to head to the beach consider pre-packing whatever you might need at the beach into a beachbag inside your backpack or suitcase. Especially if travelling with kids, this will prove a timesaver!
    10. Suitcase lovers

For those using suitcases without a divider. A piece of cardboard makes an excellent divider and helps keep your clothes organized and neat as you are able to lay them out flat on the cardboard. It also makes airport inspections a lot less of a hassle as you can lift out your divider with clothes on top easily.

Originally posted by neetasharma570 View Post

Scan your passport, passport photos and paper tickets (if not the e type) in. Store this (in an email for e.g.) in your web based email account. You can also store the details of your emergency 'lost card' telephone numbers in your web based email account so you know who to contact if your credit card or ATM card is lost or stolen. This way, even if you lose everything, you have immediate access your all important information. You can even email the details page of your passport to the embassy or consulate when applying for a new one. (Tip from a member)

Also consider writing your home and destination address (and mobile number if you have one) on a self-adhesive sticky label to stick INSIDE your luggage in a visible place. If your luggage is lost and the baggage label has come off, at least the airline can still figure out whose luggage it is. (Tip from a member)

Split up your bank cards, cash, travellers' cheques and credit cards as much as possible in different pockets, your bags and wallet when packing. In case you do get robbed, at least you won't be strapped for cash (unless you have all your bags AND your wallet stolen of course!).
    3. Nalgene/Small Bottles

Use nalgene/small bottles to pack toiletries and other small items. There are several sturdy and (very nearly) waterproof ones, with clear/see through ones being preferable (easier for security purposes post August 2006). You can also use small bottles to repack shampoo or lotions so that you don't have to always carry a big bottle with you. This is especially useful if you normally take these items in your carry-on luggage, which as of early 2007 is much more restricted than before.
    4. Backpack Tips

When you are packing things into a backpack, place the lighter items at the bottom and the heavier ones on top. Your bag will feel lighter this way as the pack rests on your lower back. It is also smart to place the things you use the most on top. Dirty clothes are perfect to pack at the bottom of a backpack. If you are still trying to decide on the right backpack, have a look at Choosing the right Backpack on our Travel Unravelled blog.
    5. Plastic Bags

It is always handy to have a few plastic bags around certain items, especially toiletries. Not only does it counter any leaking, the bags can also come in useful to keep dirty clothes in, as garbage bags or even as a makeshift umbrella. Ziplock or other airtight plastic bags are the best.
    6. Pack in Plastic

Pack everything in clear plastic bags (preferably zip lock), divided into items e.g. underwear, t-shirts, shorts etc. before packing in your suitcase or backpack. One plastic bag for each type of clothing. This is extremely useful in various ways. When you unpack your bag you just take out a series of bags and you can see immediately what you want. So an overnight stay somewhere just means taking 1 item out of a bag - no rummaging!! In addition, if you have to unpack at customs etc, instead of having to disgorge all your clothing etc out in front of everybody, you can calmly take maybe 5/6 bags out, the contents of which can be clearly seen by the officials. To repack then is also dead easy. Just be sure not to leave your plastic bags lying around if you are travelling in nature! (Tip from a member)
    7. Clothes

Pack only what you know you will use and if you are travelling for more than three weeks, plan to wash on the road. You can cut back on the number of clothes items by packing multi-purpose clothing, for example items that can both be worn during the day and as sleepwear.

When you are flying somewhere and especially if you have a few stopovers, divide the clothes between different suitcases/backpacks/bags etc. If one persons luggage doesn't arrive at the destination, they'll still have clean clothes available. Airlines generally don't compensate lost luggage for the first 24-48 hours so this will save you money if it happens to you. (Tip from a member)
    9. Separate Beach Bag

When packing to head to the beach consider pre-packing whatever you might need at the beach into a beachbag inside your backpack or suitcase. Especially if travelling with kids, this will prove a timesaver!
    10. Suitcase lovers

For those using suitcases without a divider. A piece of cardboard makes an excellent divider and helps keep your clothes organized and neat as you are able to lay them out flat on the cardboard. It also makes airport inspections a lot less of a hassle as you can lift out your divider with clothes on top easily.
    Another point that I would like to add is that you need to sort out your clothes as per the destination. Case in point, I was supposed to visit New Delhi in India in the month of November and I expected it to be moderately hot and for that reason I packed a lot of shorts and thought this is all I'll need while visiting places in and around Delhi. I did not do prior research and after reaching there, I found out that Delhi is a place that reaches both extremes. And in November, winters were already there and I started shivering soon enough. This is a mistake I'll never repeat. As soon as I reached there, I ended up spending over 5k just on warm clothes.
    Last edited by samlynn; 12-04-2019, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Useful Information

Hey! Thanks for useful tips. I have shared with my niece who is fond of traveling all the time.

Comment

Keep your money at separate places to be more safe.

Comment

A small notepad and pen. I write all important details like hostel address, reservation no., important & emergency contacts, travel directions etc in it. It serve as a backup in case I lost my smartphone.

I find that I can be too dependent on my smartphones at times. All it takes is poor signal, a drop in water, getting pickpocket or just misplacing it and I'm suddenly cut off from the digital world (and probably in a foreign land too). My emails and bank account uses 2FA, so it will be an hassle to simply use a new phone.

Plus I use the notepad as a travel diary as well. There is just something unique to re-read all the handwritten notes and doodles years later.
          Last edited by samlynn; 12-04-2019, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Hi neetasharma570, thanks a lot for the most useful tips. I also try to stick to some of them as I already knew the ones you mentioned. I came across the issue of packing the clothes, bags, and other useful stuff when I was going to Kilimanjaro climbing two years ago. I entered my agency page for the new travelers, and the tips that were there are very useful, especially for tourists who travel with the backpack, and you have to pack a lot of different stuff for hiking and with the stopovers.
            Last edited by samlynn; 12-04-2019, 10:52 PM.

Comment

I packed a bag every other weekend from ages 6 to 18. This is my time to shine.
              Check lists. Keep that list in your suitcase so you can check your things when you come back.
              Roll clothes, don't fold them.
              Be realistic about the amount of clothing you bring. You're not going to **** yourself every day of your trip. If it's a short trip bring two spare underwear. If it's a long trip you're probably going to be washing your things so only bring 3 spare.
              Bring a (plastic) bag for your dirty or wet clothes.
              Leave some space in case you buy anything you want to bring back.

Comment

Your tips are truly valuable, and I appreciate the effort you put into sharing them. I especially loved the idea of scanning important documents and storing them in a web-based email account for easy access. Splitting up valuables and using small bottles for toiletries are genius hacks. Your advice on packing clothes in clear plastic bags is a game-changer, making unpacking and staying organized a breeze. These tips are so practical and will definitely make packing a whole lot easier for everyone.😊

Comment

These are very useful and really important. Thank you so much for your effort on posting this. I struggle on packing on my trip, but this one is really helpful. I will bookmark this for my travel purposes in the future. This is so practical. Thank you once again!

Comment

Great tips! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Comment

Very helpful! Thanks for this information

Comment

Originally posted by neetasharma570 View Post

3. Nalgene/Small Bottles

Use nalgene/small bottles to pack toiletries and other small items. There are several sturdy and (very nearly) waterproof ones, with clear/see through ones being preferable (easier for security purposes post August 2006). You can also use small bottles to repack shampoo or lotions so that you don't have to always carry a big bottle with you. This is especially useful if you normally take these items in your carry-on luggage, which as of early 2007 is much more restricted than before. Explore a variety of stunning apartments for sale in keserwan​, a picturesque region in Lebanon known for its natural beauty and modern amenities. Your dream home in Keserwan is just a click away.
                        4. Backpack Tips

5. Plastic Bags

6. Pack in Plastic

7. Clothes

9. Separate Beach Bag

10. Suitcase lovers

Useful Information Hey! Thanks for useful tips. I have shared with my niece who is fond of traveling all the time.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X