OPT Denied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPT Denied

I am a graduate student in a reputed public university in the US and am graduating in May 2015 with a 3.5+ GPA. I applied for post completion OPT on Feb 20th 2015 and the money was appropriately deducted from my bank account. I have not applied for pre-completion OPT before and my CPT (internships) during my university study have been around 8 months total in the 2 year duration of masters. I have also maintained a full time student status since Fall 2013. However, my OPT application was recently denied by USCIS.

I am still waiting for the reason of denial letter. I guess, had that been a minor issue like photograph or some missing document, USCIS would have sent a RFE instead, so I am worried a lot because of the denial.

I have a job offer with a start date in June 2015 and my employer has already filed for my H1B as a change of status type under premium processing.

What are my options at present? Can I reapply for OPT and try to convince my employer to change my start date to a later point of time? Can a COS H1 be converted to consular processing so that I can go to my home country and hopefully come back and join from October 2015? I don't want to lose the employment opportunity since it the one of my choice.

Thanks!

Re: OPT Denied

Have you gotten any updates on this?

You should have heard back about your H1B application by now as well.

Let me know. Feel free to reach out to me at [email protected] or visit the site at www.waytoh1b.com

Thanks,
    GP

Comment

Originally posted by arkantos26 View Post
      I am a graduate student in a reputed public university in the US and am graduating in May 2015 with a 3.5+ GPA. I applied for post completion OPT on Feb 20th 2015 and the money was appropriately deducted from my bank account. I have not applied for pre-completion OPT before and my CPT (internships) during my university study have been around 8 months total in the 2 year duration of masters. I have also maintained a full time student status since Fall 2013. However, my OPT application was recently denied by USCIS.

I am still waiting for the reason of denial letter. I guess, had that been a minor issue like photograph or some missing document, USCIS would have sent a RFE instead, so I am worried a lot because of the denial.

I have a job offer with a start date in June 2015 and my employer has already filed for my H1B as a change of status type under premium processing.

What are my options at present? Can I reapply for OPT and try to convince my employer to change my start date to a later point of time? Can a COS H1 be converted to consular processing so that I can go to my home country and hopefully come back and join from October 2015? I don't want to lose the employment opportunity since it the one of my choice.

Thanks!

What was the reason given by USCIS for denial?

Comment

Folowup

Hey, did u get to know the reason for denial and how did u get it resolved.

Thanks

Comment

Steps to be taken while Opt STEM Extension Denied

Originally posted by Sid@111 View Post
          Hey, did u get to know the reason for denial and how did u get it resolved.

Thanks
          There can be many different reasons for denial like some spelling mistake, form filing mistakes, invalid dates or many other..
          You can call to the USCIS service for clarifying your status request and the reason for denial..

Here are some tips you can follow if your opt is denied: http://www.optnation.com/blog/opt-st...ension-denied/

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X