Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is our best option?

Hi all,

My father in law and his wife relocated to the US as "permanent residents" due to work requirements. They have been living in Miramar, FL for a couple of years, now.

My fiance and I want to move there aswell to start our own family and have been looking for the best (and fastest) option for us.

1. Our first option was for my father in law to request his son´s residency (he´s single and 31 years old). Once he had that approved, my fiance would ask for a K1 for me. The thing with this option is we heard it could take too long, and we want to be able to move and marry in a year or so.

2. I am a psychologist (got my degree in Argentina) and he works as a testing manager (Argentinian aswell). We thought we might get there on H1B visas, but think it might be even harder to get those if we manage to get sponsors from here.

3. A third option was to sign up for a PhD or Master and get there on our student visas. The problem here would be the costs and how would we go about working while we are on the J1s.

Anyway... As you read, we have a place to stay, degrees, are single with no kids (we thought it´d be faster to get the visas if we marry in the US instead of our home country) and the in law´s permanent residency. What is the fastest and safest option (in terms of acceptance) for us?

Thanks a lot!

Sole

I'll let you try to figure out how to get a job in America and how to afford grad school. I'll address your option 1.

Your boyfriends father can petition for his son to get an immigrant visa. Unmarried children of permanent residents over the age of 21 is category F2B, which has a wait time of around 13 years, longer if he is a Mexican or Filipino national.

Then, after you and your boyfriend get married, your new spouse can petition for you to get an immigrant visa. Spouses of permanent residents is category F2A, which has a wait time of around 3 years.

If your boyfriends parents decide to naturalize as United States citizens, the process will be quicker. Unmarried children of citizens is category F1, which has a wait time of 5 years, longer if he is a Mexican or Filipino national.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X