F1 visa reinstatement help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 visa reinstatement help!

I came to US on F1 student visa. I was doing my undergrad from an University in Connecticut. My semester with the University ended on December 17 2014 and since then I didn't attend any school. I applied for an admission at another institute in New York, I got the offer letter and even got my SEVIS transferred from my previous University in January. Unfortunately due to some personal problems, I wasn't able to appear at my new institute in New York and submit the necessary documents that could have issued me a new I-20. Now everything is normal and I want to continue my studies, so I called my institute in New York. They said I need a reinstatement of my F1 visa because I didn't attend other school within 60 days of my last semester end date. What if I don't get it? any other options?

If you have been out of status for more than 5 months, you are not eligible for reinstatement.

Your options are:
    * depart the country and apply for a new F-1 visa
    * attend college, but not as an international student, and risk deportation
    * get married to a US citizen and get a green card

F visas, like B visas, are always a tough sell because of the bona-fide nonimmigrant requirement. You got a visa the first time, but it will be more difficult to obtain again with a record of overstaying your visa.

Getting married trades on set of problems for another. Some people can make it work.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X