DUI and DV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUI and DV

I need your advice on possibilities. I take fault am an not sure where I stand.

I have been snowballing for the past 3 years and have finally found my way out by means of the AA program. I am in treatment / rehab and have been on track and successful with it. I snowballed because of a single event which has got me to where I am now.

Just FYI ; All this while I have been abusing alcohol. I got a DUI and was finally convicted to reckless driving. Following which my roommate who had psychological problems and being a US local who knows the law filed a Domestic Violence case on me after not getting it her way showing 1 'text' evidence of my angst against her (she played Russian Roulette & I warned her by saying ; keep your mess away or death will be your only wish - same as how we casually use in India sometimes ; maar doonga <<< my mistake but I will not read too much into it since charges have been applied. Do not send evidences at all, guys. Keep it verbal) . The law does not care what she has gone through as I am not sure if it is because she is a woman OR it is first come first serve. I was given a SOC as a part of the sentencing to not have a criminal case in the 1 year moving forward. In the process of snowballing as I was still drinking and even had my org. provide alcohol at work every Thur, no matter how careful I was about not driving, I got my second DUI which got moved to a Deferred Prosecution and admittance to rehab. I have been doing fine ever since. However, I violated the SOC of DV. This is where I stand.

My lawyer says the DV prosecutor is adamant that I violated the SOC and might get convicted of DV but he will fight it since I have been doing so well in rehab. I want to go travel , go home etc. The DS 160 asks of arrests and convictions. My Lawyers says a DUI or Reckless does not account for immigration restrictions. A DV could possibly be a stop / restrained for a while. It accounts to Moral Turpitude. Even if they let me back, it will be a scar on background checks and jobs in the future. I am sure my lawyer will get me out but worst case scenario advice's are requested.

I have no intentions of lying to Immi or wriggle my way through. To summarize ; Convicted - Reckless Driving ; Charged - DV, In the process of Def. Prosecution to eliminate All Driving charges. I plan to stamp in Mexico and / or India. I am ok with being stalled in Mexico if I go earlier than to India. How long can they stall me for anyway ?!
    Last edited by SeaHawks; 05-18-2015, 12:34 PM.

Though I seriously think you should take legal help but if you ask me you shouldn’t face any serious trouble. My cousin works with a Los Angeles DUI attorney who also handles immigration cases. Let me know if you need any help!
    Last edited by samlynn; 03-17-2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Hi distinguished members of legal Fraternity, I have a query can a lawyer Hire another lawyer to take up his clients case. If not what are the rules in this regards.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X