Power of Attorney (POA) from USA to India at New York Consulate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power of Attorney (POA) from USA to India at New York Consulate

I went through the process of doing Power of Attorney at New York Consulate on 23 Sept 2015. Wanted to post my experience here for others benefit. There are several articles on this which are very helpful but there are few things that I found are missing or are not required at all. Here is the process for doing this in person.

Step 1: Ask your lawyer in India to send you the format.

Step 2: Print that format on any size of plain white paper (NY consulate does not ask for any any specific words or paper type or format). Paste you picture near your name at the end of POA

Step 3: Get it signed by two witnesses (friends who live in US having any status such as H1, F1, Citizen, Green Card holder etc) and get that Notarized. DON'T sign against you name you will do that at consulate.
    You can refer this link for the format: http://www.********.com/attestation-...ian-consulate/

Step 4: Gather below documents
    1. Passport
    2. Visa Status proof (GC or Visa Stamping or Approved Petitions (such as I797A)
    3. Address proof (such as driving licences or bank statement or utility bills etc).

Step 5. Take copy of you POA and all the documents mention in step 4. You need only first page and last page copy of passport. NY Consulate has a copy machine so in case you forget to copy something don't worry.

Step 6: Download and fill up Misc service for from here http://www.indiacgny.org/pages.php?id=3. You can get this document at the consulate too but its better to be prepared. You need to paste your picture on this document so better do at home where you have glue.

Step 6. Go to Indian Consulate situated at 3 E, 64 Street, NYC along with Original and copies of documents mentioned in Step 4, 5 and 6.

This office is in the basement and timings are between 9:15am - 11:30 am but they start giving tokens and accepting documents before the time so if you reach early go inside the building. You must take a token from the security guard, he is not sitting at the door all the time so you will have to find him to get the token.

Step 7: Wait for you token no, Once called go to the window and hand over Misc Service form, Original POA, Copy of POA, Original Passport, Copy of front page and back page of passport and copy of proof of address.

You will be asked to sign on original POA and copy of POA in front of them.

Do the cash payment of 23$, try to give exact change. They will give you receipt that you will have to show to collect the documents.

Step 8. You will be asked to collect these documents between 12:30pm to 1pm or 4:30pm to 5pm. You can wait at the consulate or go out and eat some junk street food :-). They will call you name when they start distributing the documents.
    You need to show your receipt to collect your documents.

Collect the documents and go Home, you are Done!!!! Victory !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Follow-up questions

Hi Sandeep,

Thank you for the information. I had a couple of quick follow-up questions regarding the POA process.

Q 1) Is there a requirement as to who can be the witness to sign the POA? For eg. certain visa restriction, no family etc? If no, then, in that case, can my in-law's or my husband sign as a witness if I plan to transfer the POA to my father?

Q 2) Do you usually get the documents back on the same day itself or there are chances I would be called the next day or something?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X