Applying for parents green card - birth certificate not available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for parents green card - birth certificate not available

I am a US citizen applying for my parent's green card. Unfortunately, both my parents do not have birth certificates. I searched in this forum and read that they can submit an affidavit by mother / father/ uncle / sibling, etc. in lieu of birth certificate. The problem i have is - as they are 70+ years old - they don't have anyone who is older than them and was present a the time of their birth. All the relatives, friends, neighbors who could have signed the birth affidavit have passed away. Hence, there is no person older than my parents who can sign the birth affidavit. What should I do in this case? My parents have PAN card from govt. of india and Indian passport. Would that be enough OR will the US govt ask for more documentation? And it if does, what documentation should I provide?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Non- Availability of Birth Certificate for Parents

Had a similar issue and read in all the forums that we need to obtain a 'Non- Availability of Birth Certificate' document from the relevant authorities in India. Sought help from agents located through web-search and realized that the rates being charged were exorbitant. Requested a relative to help and he was able to get it without spending a penny in about 2-3 months time. However, later when I went to the official website of the US State Dept. (http://travel.state.gov/contenthttps...ountry/IN.html) i discovered that NABC document is not really required for older people. They ask for secondary evidence and if you have your parents' school certificates that should help. Have a look at the website yourself and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Eskay53 View Post
      Had a similar issue and read in all the forums that we need to obtain a 'Non- Availability of Birth Certificate' document from the relevant authorities in India. Sought help from agents located through web-search and realized that the rates being charged were exorbitant. Requested a relative to help and he was able to get it without spending a penny in about 2-3 months time. However, later when I went to the official website of the US State Dept. (http://travel.state.gov/contenthttps...ountry/IN.html) i discovered that NABC document is not really required for older people. They ask for secondary evidence and if you have your parents' school certificates that should help. Have a look at the website yourself and good luck!
      Thank you - I will definitely take a look at the website. I agree getting a NABC is a challenge - specifically in small towns.

Comment

Non Availability of Birth Certificate for Parents

Originally posted by indiatous View Post
        Thank you - I will definitely take a look at the website. I agree getting a NABC is a challenge - specifically in small towns.
        Probably, you don't need to obtain NABC as parents were born before 1970! Try to get the affidavits made in India from some relatives. Parents' siblings, cousins etc. Carefully search the official US Immigration - India website and you will get the answers.

Comment

Thank you all. This is what i found on the website:

=============
          When a birth certificate from the authorities is unavailable, a certificate of non-availability is generally available if the individual was born after April 1, 1970 and may be available if the individual was born before April 1, 1970. In cases where a birth certificate from the authorities is unavailable or contains insufficient information regarding the birth or the parents, the following documents could be accepted as secondary evidence in lieu of the birth certificate:

A notarized affidavit executed by either a parent, if living, or another close relative older than the applicant. This affidavit should clearly state the relationship between the deponent and the applicant, how well the deponent knows the applicant, the date and place of the applicant's birth, the names of both parents, and any other related facts;
          OR

School-leaving certificate, Matriculation certificate or Certificate of Recognized Boards from the school last attended by the applicant;
          OR

Baptismal certificate from a church.
          ===========

Comment

Thank you all. This is what i found on the website:

=============
            When a birth certificate from the authorities is unavailable, a certificate of non-availability is generally available if the individual was born after April 1, 1970 and may be available if the individual was born before April 1, 1970. In cases where a birth certificate from the authorities is unavailable or contains insufficient information regarding the birth or the parents, the following documents could be accepted as secondary evidence in lieu of the birth certificate:

A notarized affidavit executed by either a parent, if living, or another close relative older than the applicant. This affidavit should clearly state the relationship between the deponent and the applicant, how well the deponent knows the applicant, the date and place of the applicant's birth, the names of both parents, and any other related facts;
            OR

School-leaving certificate, Matriculation certificate or Certificate of Recognized Boards from the school last attended by the applicant;
            OR

Baptismal certificate from a church.
            ===========

Hi, Did you get any help? I am in the same boat. My mom was the eldest one and can not get any affidavit. Did you use school certificate or any other document for your parents? Did you get NABC as well?

Comment

I am in the same boat

Any help will be appreciated. The Reciprocity Schedule implies that non procurement of NABC for anybody born prior to 1970 is acceptable but when I google around I see folks getting RFE's asking for NABC. Does anybody have any experience in getting GC for parents simply with affidavits?

Comment

I would like to know a response to this question as well.

Originally posted by Anita Mous View Post
                Any help will be appreciated. The Reciprocity Schedule implies that non procurement of NABC for anybody born prior to 1970 is acceptable but when I google around I see folks getting RFE's asking for NABC. Does anybody have any experience in getting GC for parents simply with affidavits?
                Does anybody have any experience in getting GC for parents simply with affidavits?

Comment

Name mismatch between birth certificate and passport

HI,

I am in a similar boat for my mom. I am a US citizen and trying to apply for green card for my mom. She has a birth certificate which she got done about 15 years ago from the hospital/municipal records. The problem is the name of her parents on her birth certificate is very different from that on her passport. Her parents are no longer alive and affidavit is out of the question from them. She has a school leaving certificate but that has only her father's name and thats different too. I think because of multiple names for her father, there are all these variations. I am at a loss for what to do.
                  I read that affidavit from someone older can be given. Given that she was the oldest sibling in her family, anyone older will be her cousins. She is here in the US right now visiting and getting such an affidavit at this point, from India will take time. Can someone please suggest a way to get out of this sticky situation.

Comment

I am a US citizen applying for my parent's green card. Unfortunately, both my parents do not have birth certificates. I searched in this forum and read that they can submit an affidavit by mother / father/ uncle / sibling, etc. in lieu of birth certificate. The problem i have is - as they are 70+ years old - they don't have anyone who is older than them and was present a the time of their birth. All the relatives, friends, neighbors who could have signed the birth affidavit have passed away. Hence, there is no person older than my parents who can sign the birth affidavit. What should I do in this case? My parents have PAN card from govt. of india and Indian passport. Would that be enough OR will the US govt ask for more documentation? And it if does, what documentation should I provide?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
                    Hi
                    I am in the same situation. I am applying for my mother , and does PAN card and Passport suffice as secondary evidence ? how were you able to do it ?

Comment

I am also planning to process GC for my parents. I am a US citizen. I do not have a DOB cert. in my case my parents had the affidavit that i am their son and that worked at that time.
                      My mother has PAN, Adhar and school certificate which has her DOB. will any of it will work in lieu of my birth certificate ?

Comment

me

Originally posted by Anita Mous View Post
                        me

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by jjmira88 View Post
                        Does anybody have any experience in getting GC for parents simply with affidavits?
                        meeee

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by nvvnravi View Post
                        I am also planning to process GC for my parents. I am a US citizen. I do not have a DOB cert. in my case my parents had the affidavit that i am their son and that worked at that time.
                        My mother has PAN, Adhar and school certificate which has her DOB. will any of it will work in lieu of my birth certificate ?
                        NO it wnt

Comment

Help for NABC

Originally posted by Eskay53 View Post
                          Hello
                          Thanks for posting, I need NABC for myself and my case is stuck at NVC because of that, Can you please provide some guidance how you got NABC made ? I have researched online and the agents wants thousand dollar for it, If you please help me I would be very grateful to you
                          Thanks

Comment

Akash

Originally posted by Akash Burman View Post
                            me

- - - Updated - - -

meeee

- - - Updated - - -

NO it wnt

Hello Akash,
                            I am assuming your response is a solid YES for someone looking for an answer on whether the I-130 will be approved using AFFIDAVITS ONLY in lieu of the birth certificates. Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by knraghunandhan View Post
                              Hello Akash,
                              I am assuming your response is a solid YES for someone looking for an answer on whether the I-130 will be approved using AFFIDAVITS ONLY in lieu of the birth certificates. Is that correct?

Has anyone been able to get I-130 approved without a non-availability of birth-certificate, using affidavits only?
                              My father is 80+ years, living with me in the US, does not have birth certificate. However, I was able to get an affidavit from his surviving elder brother who is in the US. Since we don't have any close relative in India, it becomes difficult to chase municipal authorities to get non-availability of birth certificate for my father from India.

https://travel.state.gov/contenthttp...ountry/IN.html says birth registration was not mandatory for Indians born before 1970. So, this would imply that for Indians born before 1970, US consulate would understand if birth certificate is not presented.

Appreciate any response.

Thanks!
                              Sri.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X