Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obamacare for new immigrants. Household income?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens after Citizenship?

There was a reply that said "40 quarters" or they become citizens, whichever comes first.
    What happens when they become citizen?
    What would they be eligible for?

Comment

Originally posted by immihelp View Post
      It does not matter where they live.

They are considered your dependents until
      * they become US citizen
      or
      * they are credited with 40 credits for work

whichever comes first.

Therefore, you must consider your own income in order to figure out whether they can ACA subsidy or not.
      What happens when they become US Citizens? What are the implications on their choices of medical insurance?

Comment

Navigating healthcare.gov

Even if I put our joint (self and spouse) income as her household income, the subsequent pages on the site are confusing.
        For instance, there is no way to show that the ENTIRE household is living off of that income not just her. Because, these are the questions that actually show up on the site:

1. Q: Your household includes you, your spouse if you’re married, and everyone you’ll claim as a dependent on your tax return.
        Include them even if they’re not applying for coverage.

-- Here I would have to click "Just You" because SHE cannot claim anyone as her dependent, I claim HER as my dependent.

And subsequently the system think she is the only one living with that income. How does one reconcile this?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X