Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to resolve status verification issues on H1B

Hi Everyone,

I thought of writing this post about my experience so it is helpful to anybody who encountered the same problem and it's resolution to it. My driver's license was support to expire of 29/Feb/2016 and I went to MVA(Maryland) to get my license renewed. I went to MVA on 8/Jan/2016 to get it renewed. MVA asked my documents and I submitted my I-797, My existing Maryland Driver's license, Passport. What MVA or any agency like this usually does is they submit our information in a system called as SAVE where they verify our immigration status and it's expiry. Though my H1B which was approved along with I-94 was valid until Apr, 2018. This is my second H1B which was transferred by a new employer. I had H1B with old employer which was valid until 29/Feb/2016 and the I-94 was valid until 10/mar/2016.

MVA wrote a case number and asked me to check back after 5-7 business federal days. I kept going to MVA to renew my license but no luck. Each time they said the same thing. Being tired, I tried to dig into the issue myself and tried to check the status online and found that they verify our existence in this country through a system called SAVE and when I check the case number it said 'Additional Information Required' I tried to check more about it but it was a dead end. I tried calling the numbers provided to check with USCIS but no body could understand the issue and no body helped me. after digging more I found that we could verify our status online by our self through a system called as 'SELF CHECK' where you enter your Fullname, SSN, Address, I-94 or Alien number. To my surprise I see that it showed me an error as 'Mismatch information' and generated a case number because my transferred H1 information was not updated in one of their databases. I followed up with that case too with USCIS SELF CHECK customer care. They asked me what information was a mismatch but as nothing was clear in the message nobody could help me. They kept me rolling in rounds with different departments and also asked me to check this with Department of Homeland Security(DHS) and Customs Border and Protection(CBP). I visited CBP to see if my I-94 was not updated which came along with my H1B approval copy. The officer said they'll only be able to update their system in case I went out of the border and came back.

I contacted my company's Attorney to help me out with this. He asked me to visit a local immigration office to get this resolved. I went to Baltimore field office twice(Feb 24th and Mar 25th) but the staff is so dumb that they do not even understand or know what this SAVE, SELF CHECK, DHS, CBP...was. I kind of lost hope. It passed 2 months and my driver's license is already expired. I requested MVA to give me a temporary license so I can survive. They said usually the case shows 'pending' and that is when they're allowed to give a temporary license upto 8 months, but my case was showing in progress. MVA generated one more case to check if something works but no luck.

Having lost hope, I wrote an email to Howard County Senator explaining my issue. The Senator said that they cannot do anything about it as it is related to federal and forwarded my request to Congressman of my area. Nobody got back to me. Meanwhile, I figured out the actual cause and where exactly our information is located. Usually, When a company files your new H1B or Transfers H1B- the attorney will file 2 copies of H1B packets.Upon H1B approval- one copy is sent to Kentucky Consulate Center(KCC) which Scans and updates our approved information into 55 fields into the database known as PIMS database in a week's time after approval. To contact either KCC or PIMS only USCIS is the authorized entity which can instruct and check about us. Our information is fed to all the systems DHS, SAVE, SELF CHECK, CBP, US Consulate, etc. If the PIMS database is not updated no system can verify your information. Candidates who go out of the country and get stuck with reasons is one of these because US consulate cannot verify your approved information.

And I decided to go visit Congressman's office myself. I visited and the staff of the Congressman asked me to submit all the documents. She scanned all my documents PASSPORT, LICENSE, MVA Case number, H1B I-797... A week passed but I still did not hear anything. I called the Congressman office and followed up but she said we will work on it. Finally I received an email from MVA on Apr 9th mentioning my DHS verification passed through and asked me to renew my license. I finally went to MVA and got my License renewed today the Apr, 11th.

Excellent post! Very informative.
    Thanks for taking out the time and providing these details.

What makes me wonder is that this PIMS update process has been in place for more than 3-4 years, so it is surprising that it has not been sorted out yet, with the beneficiary having no visibility whatsoever.

Comment

Help wanted

Hi Bahadur,

Thanks for all the explanation and right now I am on the same boat as you were few months ago. I went to MVA to renew my license and somehow they were not able to verify my status, I have all the documents presented and after scanning MVA was not able to verify the status.

I also want to approach the same way you did as I don't want to waste lot of time on it.

Would you please tell what are the steps you have taken to meet congressman in person? I would like a step by step process. I appreciate your help in advance.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by skadthan View Post
        Hi Bahadur,

Thanks for all the explanation and right now I am on the same boat as you were few months ago. I went to MVA to renew my license and somehow they were not able to verify my status, I have all the documents presented and after scanning MVA was not able to verify the status.

I also want to approach the same way you did as I don't want to waste lot of time on it.

Would you please tell what are the steps you have taken to meet congressman in person? I would like a step by step process. I appreciate your help in advance.

Thank you!
        Hey,

Can you kindly help me, it looks i am also in same boat. SAVE system shows another 7 days to go and the status appearing as Additional Verification Needed.

When i reach out DMV they told I need to wait till SAVE system comes back. It is very tuff to stay without driving license.

Not sure how to proceed on this.

Thanks,
        Sree

Comment

Originally posted by tjsreenath View Post
          Hey,

Can you kindly help me, it looks i am also in same boat. SAVE system shows another 7 days to go and the status appearing as Additional Verification Needed.

When i reach out DMV they told I need to wait till SAVE system comes back. It is very tuff to stay without driving license.

Not sure how to proceed on this.

Thanks,
          Sree
          I am also in the same boat. The DMV had opened a SAVE CASE. I visited the local USCIS field using by taking a INFOPASS appointment. The USCIS field office told me that the information is correct in their database. It might be wrong in SAVE DB. The only way to correct SAVE DB is by SAVE CASE. Called the SAVE helpline number : 1-877-469-2563 and they also said the only solution is to wait and watch the case status. This is really frustrating. We are suffering for no fault of ours.
          I am going to contact the Senator. But I doubt he will be of any help.

Thanks

Comment

Same issue

Originally posted by retire@eb2 View Post
            I am also in the same boat. The DMV had opened a SAVE CASE. I visited the local USCIS field using by taking a INFOPASS appointment. The USCIS field office told me that the information is correct in their database. It might be wrong in SAVE DB. The only way to correct SAVE DB is by SAVE CASE. Called the SAVE helpline number : 1-877-469-2563 and they also said the only solution is to wait and watch the case status. This is really frustrating. We are suffering for no fault of ours.
            I am going to contact the Senator. But I doubt he will be of any help.

Thanks
            I am also facing the same issue i.e. Legal presence not verified even with a approval valid till Aug 2017 , just wanted to know what happen to you case ? where you able to correct the mis-information and get the legal status verified?

Comment

Originally posted by arunkumarasokan View Post
              I am also facing the same issue i.e. Legal presence not verified even with a approval valid till Aug 2017 , just wanted to know what happen to you case ? where you able to correct the mis-information and get the legal status verified?
              I am also in the same boat. Please guide me to resolve this issue.

Comment

It is common. When I got my petition approved when I was in USA I didnt have any issue while getting my license. When I went for stamping and came back to change address in license after moving to new place they couldnt verify my details in the SAVE database and had to call and get it verified. They just asked me to call back in a week time to check for any status. I called the DMV within a week and they said the processing is done and to come and get the license. So nothing to worry.

Comment

Able to renew my license

Originally posted by pkumar3g View Post
                  I am also in the same boat. Please guide me to resolve this issue.
                  I am able to renew my license and SAVE DB is updated with my latest I797 document date.

The issue is with my previous amendment approval date which is got approved after my visa transfer.

Comment

Mr hbahadur -

You really saved my day, many thanks
                    Had a tough time with selecting options from the SAVE helpline
                    And finally when i could reach out to a representative, the person seemed to be clueless..

https://www.uscis.gov/save/casecheck was the savior - Thanks a Ton !
                    [2 Years since your posting, this is still very helpful.. you should be proud of it ]

Regards
                    SanKS

Comment

Originally posted by SanKS View Post
                      Mr hbahadur -

You really saved my day, many thanks
                      Had a tough time with selecting options from the SAVE helpline
                      And finally when i could reach out to a representative, the person seemed to be clueless..

https://www.uscis.gov/save/casecheck was the savior - Thanks a Ton !
                      [2 Years since your posting, this is still very helpful.. you should be proud of it ]

Regards
                      SanKS
                      Hi SankS,
                      I am facing issue in renewing my license as the DMV could not verify my latest I-94 date. Their system still showing the old dates from my previous I-94. The SAVE record check is not showing me anything for my I-94 number and date of birth. How did you search in SAVE? Did you get the SAVE service number from DMV?

Thanks in advance. Please help.
                      Lalat

Comment

Originally posted by lalats View Post
                        Hi SankS,
                        I am facing issue in renewing my license as the DMV could not verify my latest I-94 date. Their system still showing the old dates from my previous I-94. The SAVE record check is not showing me anything for my I-94 number and date of birth. How did you search in SAVE? Did you get the SAVE service number from DMV?

Thanks in advance. Please help.
                        Lalat
                        Hi Lalat,

I am on the same boat. Could you able to find your case in SAVE by using your I-94? Please help.

Comment

Dl issues

Same boat. Unable to get a DL with an expiry date beyond stamped visa H1b 18december 2018. I have a new petition valid till 2021. Applied twice but DMV keeps giving me DL that expires in 2018. They say its not their fault and wanted me to talk to Homeland security. Called USCIS and SAVE. Emailed SAVE. Nothing. Nobody knows what to do. Case status on SAVE they have already verified it twice with SMV but obviously its not uodated info.. how and where should I go to get it updated??

Comment

DL renewal issues still unresolved even after 3 years...I had the same 3 yrs ago.

Originally posted by Physio14 View Post
                            Same boat. Unable to get a DL with an expiry date beyond stamped visa H1b 18december 2018. I have a new petition valid till 2021. Applied twice but DMV keeps giving me DL that expires in 2018. They say its not their fault and wanted me to talk to Homeland security. Called USCIS and SAVE. Emailed SAVE. Nothing. Nobody knows what to do. Case status on SAVE they have already verified it twice with SMV but obviously its not uodated info.. how and where should I go to get it updated??
                            Renewing Drivng License Issues upon renewal of H1B is still a big hassle even after 3 years!!! I made these trips 3 years ago too.

I made 5 trips to DMV and finally got license approved today for 1 year. Although my H1B was approved for 3 years, DL renewal date came only for one year. DMV asked me approach DHS for why they were able to renew for one year only.
                            That will be another two visits.

Below are the list of my visits:
                            1. Vistited Leon Valley center first time and was returned as their system showed old date.
                            2. A week later visited Pat Booker DMV and was returned for the same reason.
                            They asked me to come closer to the expiry date.
                            3. Visited De Leon Valley center ON THE EXPIRY DATE. System showed change and triggered
                            secondary lawful status verification.
                            4. Driving licence expired and lived for 13 days without license.
                            5. Received Lawful status verification after 13 days.
                            6. Approached DMV leon Valley and they were able to renew FOR ONLY YEAR ONLY.
                            They asked me to talk to DHS for why one year.
                            7. Visit to DHS office pending to clarify the issue of shorter validity date.
                            8. Visit to DMV for Correction to DL expiry date for 3 years pending..

- - - Updated - - -

Renewing Drivng License Issues upon renewal of H1B is still a big hassle even after 3 years!!! I made these trips 3 years ago too.

I made 5 trips to DMV and finally got license approved today for 1 year. Although my H1B was approved for 3 years, DL renewal date came only for one year. DMV asked me approach DHS for why they were able to renew for one year only.
                            That will be another two visits.

Below are the list of my visits:
                            1. Vistited Leon Valley center first time and was returned as their system showed old date.
                            2. A week later visited Pat Booker DMV and was returned for the same reason.
                            They asked me to come closer to the expiry date.
                            3. Visited De Leon Valley center ON THE EXPIRY DATE. System showed change and triggered
                            secondary lawful status verification.
                            4. Driving licence expired and lived for 13 days without license.
                            5. Received Lawful status verification after 13 days.
                            6. Approached DMV leon Valley and they were able to renew FOR ONLY YEAR ONLY.
                            They asked me to talk to DHS for why one year.
                            7. Visit to DHS office pending to clarify the issue of shorter validity date.
                            8. Visit to DMV for Correction to DL expiry date for 3 years pending..

Comment

Check your I-94 Number!

I had a recent issue with renewing my DL in Florida on my H1B visa. My previous DL was on my F1 visa. My H1B is valid from 2017 to 2020. I took my H1B approval notice as my primary document for DL renewal and the DMV kept getting a mismatch in status. They kept seeing me as an F1 student. I was not sure why, because I had made 2 trips to India after my H1B approval and had no issues at stamping or at the point of entry.

They asked me to go back to my sponsor (my school or company) and check if they had anything they could do. I went back to my school, and they said as soon as my H1B was approved, the school is out of the whole immigration process for the candidate. I did not even bother talking to the lawyers since I knew they could not help.

During my next visit to the DMV, I told them the same thing the school told me. They called the headquarters at Tallahassee and they didn't know what to do either. SO they asked me to call USCIS and see if they could help. After a 45 min wait on the phone, I got through, only to find out that they could not help, and that I would have to get an INFOPASS appointment. The appointment was very hard to get, and after a few days I learnt that it is best to check the website in the morning when slots open. I got an appointment for 2 weeks later. When I went to USCIS yesterday, they could not help me because everything in their system was good. and showed no issues. They did not know how else to help me especially because I did not know what the exact problem was either.

I came back home and re-read all the messages on this thread, and saw mentions of USCIS database, SAVE, E-verify, CBP etc. I ran all these checks, and saw NO issues anywhere. When I pulled my I-94 online, I "happened" to notice that the I-94 number there was different than on my H1B approval notice. I had NO idea that the I-94 number changes every time you enter the country! The lawyers always said to check the "valid till date" I-94 on my passport upon entry (to be sure it is the same as my H1B approval date) and I did not know it still saves a record online. While I had used the online tool to generate the I-94 on my F1 visa for the DL, I did not imagine I would need it again, especially since the approval notice had that info.

I went back today to the DMV with my latest I-94 printed. They did not even need my approval notice and were able to issue me a DL until the validity of my I-94. Nobody at the DMV knew about this, and I did not see this posted anywhere on any blog either!!

SOLUTION: Please check that you are using the latest I-94 number as extracted from https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/recent-search. The I-94 number on your H1B approval notice may not be the latest if you had traveled internationally before renewing your DL on the new visa.

My next steps would have been to go to the Congressman's office. Thankfully, I don't need to do that. Hope this post helps out people!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X