No announcement yet.

Minor travelling on New / Old Passport without OCI Reissue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing my experience since this thread gave me confidence to travel. Just went to Delhi with my child who got their OCI as an infant (U lifelong sticker on old passport). New passport this year as old expired after 5 years. No issues travelling with new passport and the original OCI. I was also carrying the old passport and gave it to the immigration individual with the other two documents but it was promptly returned to me without even looking at it.

Thanks to those who previously shared their experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by noidea View Post
      Sharing my experience since this thread gave me confidence to travel. Just went to Delhi with my child who got their OCI as an infant (U lifelong sticker on old passport). New passport this year as old expired after 5 years. No issues travelling with new passport and the original OCI. I was also carrying the old passport and gave it to the immigration individual with the other two documents but it was promptly returned to me without even looking at it.

Thanks to those who previously shared their experiences.
      Also FWIW I traveled on Air India. According to this thread one airline is denying travel? https://www.immihelp.com/forum/showt...ort-for-Minors

Comment

Originally posted by Rajjy View Post
        Yes - we went to India twice last year, in March and then again in December. Each time niniuuses at all with OCI, they just looked at them and waved us through. They didn't even ask for old passports.

The problem is they keep changing the rules very often that not even the officials know what is in force! 😂

I have not seen or heard anyone having any problems - searches on the internet don't show any problems. If there had been I'm sure you would find something on the internet. Even on this forum nobody has posted issues getting into India - only that they have not faced any problems.

Just go - you should be okay.
        Do They have U sticker on old passport?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by arkaa View Post
        Several users have posted that it is not an issue for minors. Carry your son's old passport also (the one that is on the OCI) and you should be good.

See the post by Rajjy titled "No problems at all" a couple of posts above yours.
        Correct. In my situation , my son doesnt have U sticker on his passport. The old passpord has no Lifelong OCI sticker or anything.

Comment

Son's old Australian passport bottom third chopped off

Originally posted by Meet2in View Post
          Hello everyone, we recently traveled to India on the 13th July 2018 and returned to Sydney on the 25th July. I went with my 5 year old son. My son Australian passport was renewed just 2 days before traveling but we didn't have time to renew the OCI. We carried his old passport (which has U visa sticker), new passport and the OCI as advised in one of the immigration website. We arrived in Hyderabad and the immigration officer didn't question us about my Son OCI at all. He did not even ask to see the old passport. We were absolutely clear to enter India. So just thought I would share my recent experience with you guys that if you plan to travel to India with old OCI for minors, there shouldn't be a problem. But I would recommend to take the old passports too just in case. Good luck.
          I am about to travel with the same scenario as yours. Australia Post cut off the bottom third of my son's passport's front cover, back cover and the details page(machine readable part). Name and passport number are still visible in details page. OCI Visa page is fine. Did this happen in your scenario too ?

Comment

Q: Can I travel to India with just my OCI Card, or should I also carry the passport which contains the

Comment

Originally posted by chiragshah25 View Post

Do They have U sticker on old passport?

- - - Updated - - -

Correct. In my situation , my son doesnt have U sticker on his passport. The old passpord has no Lifelong OCI sticker or anything.
              Hi Do you have any updates from your trip to India for the OCI card? I have a 5 yr old daughter with a new US passport and an Old OCI card. She does not have a U sticker on her Visa. Please let me know if you had issues with immigration in India
              Naga

Comment

When applying for Re-Issue of OCI due to new passport for minor - do we need to re-send the copies of current passports of parents, and also former Indian passports of parents to prove Indian origin? Thanks.
                Last edited by manishsd1; 04-24-2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

You don't have to do this anymore.

Comment

Not sure what you mean, Milli - "You don't have to do this anymore."

You don't have to send Parents' passport copies when you get OCI Re-Issued for Minor, or you do not have to get OCI Re-Issued for New Passport? Please clarify.

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by manishsd1 View Post
                      Not sure what you mean, Milli - "You don't have to do this anymore."

You don't have to send Parents' passport copies when you get OCI Re-Issued for Minor, or you do not have to get OCI Re-Issued for New Passport? Please clarify.

Thanks.
                      There is no need to get OCI re-issued on renewal of minor passports. I've traveled many times with new passports for my kids without getting their OCI re-issued. Though I travel with their old passports(having U-visa stamped), they now only ask for the OCI card/book.

Comment

• Ok, thanks for that information. Another point is that the middle name got left out when the OCI Card was issued - but I have traveled once without any problems. Wondering if I should get it re-issued? Assume a letter of explanation would suffice? Thanks.

Comment

• Hello All,

Due to urgency, me and wife traveled back to India with our baby to India, with no plans to return to US immediately. Hence, as baby has US Passport, we could get her only E-Tourist Visa. Now the OCI process asks for 90 days' valid visa, and the e-TV is only valid 60 days. Please guide process for conversion to Entry Visa (me and wife are Indian Passport holders), and then on to OCI.

Thanks!

Comment

• Hello everyone. The information in these forums is very useful. I too am in somewhat similar condition
                            We were in UK till 2011 and relocated to India. My daughters have British passports. I have renewed their passports in 2015 in Hyderabad as we are settled in india and i was told by a friend of mine that we don't have to transfer oci to the new passport. We are planning to travel to Australia on 17thMay and i havecome across the info recently that we have to renew their oci as well till.they are 20. They are 16 and 11 at the moment . Its like we are travelling on their British passports either from Hyderabad or Chennai to Australia and coming back to india in June. Is there a chance that i could face any sort of problem at the immigration? Would.it be worthwhile if i take their study certificates as to show them.that they are now residing in india and continuing with their studies? Thanks in advance
                            There are so many positive replies here and its almost like there has been no problem whatsoever but i am.slightly in a diff boat as to.having their British passports but settled in India. Could i be facing any problems while arriving in india

Comment

• My kids hold British passports and we are settled in India. Planned to travel to Australia and came to know that we have to renew the OCI for kids. Didn’t have time and proceeded ahead with our travel plans hoping that the guy at the immigration counter at Hyderabad would understand and had an explanation ready. But it was not needed at least for ya luckily. The guy at the counter said that we have to renew and please do it as soon as you return but then saw the expiry date on the passport which mentioned 2020/12 so recommended that we renew their OCI along with their passport renewal. When coming back the people at Hyderabad airport couldn’t care less. The guy didn’t even ask anything. This was on 2nd June 2019. The Malaysian airlines people checked the Ocis here and also in Australia while returning but I guess they don’t have a clue about how the process works. Overall was worried but glad that I went and came back. By the way I hold an Indian passport if that sort of helped I have no idea. Hope you travel without any problem regarding this.

Comment

• Hello everyone. My friend and I are flying to Australia soon. We are going to surfers paradise. Really can't wait to surf there! But besides surfing, we would also like to travel somewhere else. We want to visit some museums and find out about the culture. So we want to rent a car. Can anyone help us to choose the company? We googled and found this

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X