Minor travelling on New / Old Passport without OCI Reissue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    First of all, thanks all for sharing your experiences on this thread.

I am travelling to India in October with 5yo son who has got new passport. He has OCI booklet and the lifelong U sticker is on the old passport. Based on responses on this forum, I am not getting the OCI re-issued. Cost is not much of an issue, but its more of a hassle, new photos, sending courier, etc. I am travelling to Mumbai if that matters.

Has anyone faced any negative experiences? Doesnt look like it.

Comment

I emailed CGI and they said that I need to renew the OCI. Not sure what to do.

Comment

Above I had emailed CGI Toronto and they said that I have to get OCI re-issued. This week I emailed CGI Vancouver just to see what they say. In my email, I mentioned that I am getting my child's passport now and travelling next week. I told them I dont have time, and asked them will I get rejected. Here is what they say -

-------------
        He can travel. You can come back and apply for his OCI MISC services application.
        -------------

Hope this, along with other replies on this thread, helps people in the same situation.

Comment

Lost my new born passport sent for oci

Originally posted by jkamdar View Post
          Reporting back on my experience:
          So as everybody has mentioned, I didn't have any issue. I and my wife have turned 50 since we got OCI and one of my son, who was minor, when we go OCI for him and now he is 22 and does have a new US passport . So I was worried and as a matter of fact, got visa on arrival as I didn't want to take any chance. However, I never had to use visa that we got for him. We just showed an old OCI book along with his US passport and no issue at all. I was wondering, if they will notice that he has a visa as well. No question was asked while going, but he was asked while leaving India, but didn't have any issue.

Hope this helps. I still wonder, if I should get new OCI for them or not.
          ? FedEx lost my daughters passport, sent for oci ?

Comment

Hello everyone, we recently traveled to India on the 13th July 2018 and returned to Sydney on the 25th July. I went with my 5 year old son. My son Australian passport was renewed just 2 days before traveling but we didn't have time to renew the OCI. We carried his old passport (which has U visa sticker), new passport and the OCI as advised in one of the immigration website. We arrived in Hyderabad and the immigration officer didn't question us about my Son OCI at all. He did not even ask to see the old passport. We were absolutely clear to enter India. So just thought I would share my recent experience with you guys that if you plan to travel to India with old OCI for minors, there shouldn't be a problem. But I would recommend to take the old passports too just in case. Good luck.

Comment

Travelling with new passport with a changed lastname

I'm travelling soon to India with my minor son (11 years) using recently re-issued Australian passports due to change in my last name.

I have applied for re-issue of OCI card with new last name on it. However I don't expect to receive the OCI card before my travel date. (I can't believe it take four to six weeks for re-issue of OCI card)

So the question is, Can my son and I travel using the new passport (with new lastname) + old passport and OCI card (with old lastname) ?

To prove the link between old and new name, I can carry my son's updated birth certificate and for myself an official change of name certificate that clearly shows the link between old name and new name.

Has anyone traveled earlier with the above situation where the details on their new passport was different to details on their old passport ?

Please advise.

Comment

Originally posted by amitdi View Post
                Hi,
                First of all, thanks all for sharing your experiences on this thread.

I am travelling to India in October with 5yo son who has got new passport. He has OCI booklet and the lifelong U sticker is on the old passport. Based on responses on this forum, I am not getting the OCI re-issued. Cost is not much of an issue, but its more of a hassle, new photos, sending courier, etc. I am travelling to Mumbai if that matters.

Has anyone faced any negative experiences? Doesnt look like it.
                Update on this:
                My wife and son traveled to India. They were asked about expired date on OCI at local airport (in Canada). So my wife got worried while boarding the plane. However, at Mumbai immigration, the officer checked new passport and OCI booklet. Did not ask for old passport.

So for anyone looking for another data point, you do not need to re-issue OCI.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by TazzyU View Post
                I'm travelling soon to India with my minor son (11 years) using recently re-issued Australian passports due to change in my last name.

I have applied for re-issue of OCI card with new last name on it. However I don't expect to receive the OCI card before my travel date. (I can't believe it take four to six weeks for re-issue of OCI card)

So the question is, Can my son and I travel using the new passport (with new lastname) + old passport and OCI card (with old lastname) ?

To prove the link between old and new name, I can carry my son's updated birth certificate and for myself an official change of name certificate that clearly shows the link between old name and new name.

Has anyone traveled earlier with the above situation where the details on their new passport was different to details on their old passport ?

Please advise.
                What happened? Did they question?

Comment

Hi we are in the same situation, we have a 6yr old and travelling to Mumbai next month, she has an OCI in her old passport but we had to renew her passport but don't have time to renew the OCI, will this be an issue when we arrive in Mumbai? We will also carry her old passport that has the OCI in it.

thanks for your help.

Comment

Should be okay.

Originally posted by clayton4115 View Post
                    Hi we are in the same situation, we have a 6yr old and travelling to Mumbai next month, she has an OCI in her old passport but we had to renew her passport but don't have time to renew the OCI, will this be an issue when we arrive in Mumbai? We will also carry her old passport that has the OCI in it.

thanks for your help.
                    Hi. I have 3 children under 20yrs old. All OCI holders and passport renewed and original OCI held with U sticker. We went to Goa in March 2018 and no issues whatsoever. We are going in December 2018 and OCI not renewed and taking old passport OCI was issued on.

I have checked other Internet forums for any such issues and can't find anything. Seems everyone has been granted entry.

They keep changing the "rules/criteria" but nobody seems to know what to do and what the rules are.

Take the risk but take the old passports - that's what we are doing. As I said , we went in March 2028 and no issues whatsoever- Immigration didn't ask any questions or raised any concerns.
                    Last edited by Rajjy; 12-03-2018, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rajjy View Post
                      Hi. I have 3 children under 20yrs old. All OCI holders and passport renewed and original OCI held with U sticker. We went to Goa in March 2018 and no issues whatsoever. We are going in December 2018 and OCI not renewed and taking old passport OCI was issued on.

I have checked other Internet forums for any such issues and can't find anything. Seems everyone has been granted entry.

They keep changing the "rules/criteria" but nobody seems to know what to do and what the rules are.

Take the risk but take the old passports - that's what we are doing. As I said , we went in March 2028 and no issues whatsoever- Immigration didn't ask any questions or raised any concerns.

thanks for your response, we are going to Goa in Jan 2019, enjoy your trip.

Comment

No problems at all

Originally posted by clayton4115 View Post
                        thanks for your response, we are going to Goa in Jan 2019, enjoy your trip.
                        Hi. Just thought I would update after returning from my holiday to India. My OCI and my three children's OCI (they are all under 20 and on renewed passports) were not questioned at all. They did not query anything whatsoever.
                        Immigration looked at them, did not ask for old expired passports, and simply waved us through. No issues at all.

Anybody worried about renewing OCI on a passport renewal should not worry and just go with existing OCI.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Rajjy View Post
                          Hi. Just thought I would update after returning from my holiday to India. My OCI and my three children's OCI (they are all under 20 and on renewed passports) were not questioned at all. They did not query anything whatsoever.
                          Immigration looked at them, did not ask for old expired passports, and simply waved us through. No issues at all.

Anybody worried about renewing OCI on a passport renewal should not worry and just go with existing OCI.
                          Great to know! Thanks a lot for sharing your experience!!

Comment

Travelling this march with minor

Originally posted by Liberty48 View Post
                            Great to know! Thanks a lot for sharing your experience!!
                            Hi, Looking for some guidance here...

I am travelling to India with my son who is 5 yrs old in the month of March, 2019.
                            His OCI is due for re-issue because of his new US passport. The old US passport do not carry U visa sticker nor any kind of OCI proof as well. Also, I can see his OCI does not have any expiration date either, I am wondering if I can travel using old OCI or just get E-visa and have peace of mind.

Thanks,
                            CHirag

Comment

Originally posted by chiragshah25 View Post
                              Hi, Looking for some guidance here...

I am travelling to India with my son who is 5 yrs old in the month of March, 2019.
                              His OCI is due for re-issue because of his new US passport. The old US passport do not carry U visa sticker nor any kind of OCI proof as well. Also, I can see his OCI does not have any expiration date either, I am wondering if I can travel using old OCI or just get E-visa and have peace of mind.

Thanks,
                              CHirag
                              Several users have posted that it is not an issue for minors. Carry your son's old passport also (the one that is on the OCI) and you should be good.

See the post by Rajjy titled "No problems at all" a couple of posts above yours.

Comment

Originally posted by arkaa View Post
                                Several users have posted that it is not an issue for minors. Carry your son's old passport also (the one that is on the OCI) and you should be good.

See the post by Rajjy titled "No problems at all" a couple of posts above yours.

Yes - we went to India twice last year, in March and then again in December. Each time niniuuses at all with OCI, they just looked at them and waved us through. They didn't even ask for old passports.

The problem is they keep changing the rules very often that not even the officials know what is in force! 😂

I have not seen or heard anyone having any problems - searches on the internet don't show any problems. If there had been I'm sure you would find something on the internet. Even on this forum nobody has posted issues getting into India - only that they have not faced any problems.

Just go - you should be okay.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X